April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope so... I'm just worried that on the actual exam I'll run into something very conceptual which isn't covered by the reference handbook haha.

The earliest time slot I was able to register for actually taking exam is January as of right now...
You're a brave person. Good luck! 

Has anyone tried taking sample exams using only the NCEES reference book? How did it go?
Took the NCEES practice exam this last weekend and tried using only the handbook.

Some of the formula forms are super weird, and I did end up having to look up a few things elsewhere because they just aren't in the handbook.

Things that stood out to be missing to me:

Wattmeters, ampmeters, and voltmeters -- which are involved in several problems

mho circles

symmetrical component / fault analysis - are they expecting us to derive the formulas for like a 1 phase to ground fault via the tiny diagrams on p66? cause that's a LOT - i mean i could do it with practice, but I like using different diagrams, and that's SO much to memorize for all the different fault types

it's slim on fault analysis 

I had a hard time with a parallel transformer problem using just the formulas provided in the handbook because they weren't totally twins and the handbook doesn't have additional information on that type of problem. I ended up referencing my personal notes on the subject.

Took the NCEES practice exam this last weekend and tried using only the handbook.

Some of the formula forms are super weird, and I did end up having to look up a few things elsewhere because they just aren't in the handbook.

Things that stood out to be missing to me:

Wattmeters, ampmeters, and voltmeters -- which are involved in several problems

mho circles

symmetrical component / fault analysis - are they expecting us to derive the formulas for like a 1 phase to ground fault via the tiny diagrams on p66? cause that's a LOT - i mean i could do it with practice, but I like using different diagrams, and that's SO much to memorize for all the different fault types

it's slim on fault analysis 

I had a hard time with a parallel transformer problem using just the formulas provided in the handbook because they weren't totally twins and the handbook doesn't have additional information on that type of problem. I ended up referencing my personal notes on the subject.
For the parallel transformer problem, is it the one where you are given two transformers' rated KVA and percent/p.u. impedances and you have to solve for the max possible load without overloading either transformer?

If so, I highly recommend using Zach Stone's/Electrical PE Review's limiting transformer method for parallel transformers. IMO that's the easiest, most understandable, and simplest to remember method for solving such parallel transformer questions.

Hopefully there will be an update to the reference book with more protection and symmetrical components. 

On the bright side, it should be much easier to answer the codes questions with the code books being provided digitally. Code questions take up a huge portion of the exam, and I know that can give people trouble. There also seems to be a nice section on economics which will come in handy.

I'm not sure about the list of integrals and derivatives. The reference book could probably do without those sections.

For the parallel transformer problem, is it the one where you are given two transformers' rated KVA and percent/p.u. impedances and you have to solve for the max possible load without overloading either transformer?

If so, I highly recommend using Zach Stone's/Electrical PE Review's limiting transformer method for parallel transformers. IMO that's the easiest, most understandable, and simplest to remember method for solving such parallel transformer questions.
That's it! 125 in the morning session in my 2017 version, and this is exactly what I did to solve it! Zach's class is the best! However, as we are only allowed the handbook for the CBT i was attempting the practice exam with no additional references. I need to rewatch the videos and work on it because i could not complete this problem with just the handbook formulas. 

Overall it was interesting to see that i made almost the same score as i did last February when I took it. Missed about half of the same questions, and half new questions. But i also completed it on time instead of having 7 left over, and i haven't put as much time into studying this time around. So im counting it as a major improvement. 

Hopefully there will be an update to the reference book with more protection and symmetrical components. 

On the bright side, it should be much easier to answer the codes questions with the code books being provided digitally. Code questions take up a huge portion of the exam, and I know that can give people trouble. There also seems to be a nice section on economics which will come in handy.

I'm not sure about the list of integrals and derivatives. The reference book could probably do without those sections.
I got really good at using the code book for the April section, and i have mine tabbed very well, plus notes in the margins. Im worried about having to use the digital code books.

I got really good at using the code book for the April section, and i have mine tabbed very well, plus notes in the margins. Im worried about having to use the digital code books.
Have you been able to do any practice with PDF versions of the codes?

Have you been able to do any practice with PDF versions of the codes?
Not yet. The online version isnt searchable, and i'd hate to buy it again. I wish it was like dvds used to be: buy the dvd, get a digital copy free. 😂

Might have to see about buying the pdf through work.

So I just ordered the PPI 2 Pass practice exams (3rd edition... that was the latest edition I could find).

With all the practicing I've done on other practice exams... there are still some questions in the PPI exams that I have no idea how to answer (at least from a quick glance).

Man, I feel like the wide range of topics in the PE Power exam will probably get to me the most. And I feel that the provided reference handbook is definitely not sufficient.

I haven't actually done the PPI 2 Pass practice exams yet... currently working on other practice exams (just finished Complex Imaginary again). I will get to them though...

So I just ordered the PPI 2 Pass practice exams (3rd edition... that was the latest edition I could find).

With all the practicing I've done on other practice exams... there are still some questions in the PPI exams that I have no idea how to answer (at least from a quick glance).

Man, I feel like the wide range of topics in the PE Power exam will probably get to me the most. And I feel that the provided reference handbook is definitely not sufficient.

I haven't actually done the PPI 2 Pass practice exams yet... currently working on other practice exams (just finished Complex Imaginary again). I will get to them though...
do you mind posting one of the questions you don't know how to answer? i'm curious to see if the PPI2Pass exam has finally become useful 

So how is everyone's studying going?

Work has been a madhouse this week for me, and I took it easy this weekend, only working Zach's end of class test. Though I might do a course quiz or two this afternoon if I get the chance.

I think i'm going into burnout mode after a full year of this, so I'm hoping to get back in the zone soon. Been consistently making 60/80s on practice exams so hoping that's good enough to get that pass!

So how is everyone's studying going?

Work has been a madhouse this week for me, and I took it easy this weekend, only working Zach's end of class test. Though I might do a course quiz or two this afternoon if I get the chance.

I think i'm going into burnout mode after a full year of this, so I'm hoping to get back in the zone soon. Been consistently making 60/80s on practice exams so hoping that's good enough to get that pass!
Burned out is exactly how I feel. Hard to believe we are the first group of PE's ever to literally have to study over a year to get to take the test 1 time. I started studying after the October 2019 test b/c my first time i COULD take it was April 2020. Luckily I was able to get in a December exam, but still, that's **** 14 months almost solid and not get to take the **** exam once. 

I can't stand hearing PE stories at work "Man I worked SO HARD for that test man. I mean I studied 4 WEEKS STRAIGHT, AND I MEAN HARD" lolololol

Burned out is exactly how I feel. Hard to believe we are the first group of PE's ever to literally have to study over a year to get to take the test 1 time. I started studying after the October 2019 test b/c my first time i COULD take it was April 2020. Luckily I was able to get in a December exam, but still, that's **** 14 months almost solid and not get to take the **** exam once. 

I can't stand hearing PE stories at work "Man I worked SO HARD for that test man. I mean I studied 4 WEEKS STRAIGHT, AND I MEAN HARD" lolololol
I always felt like I was dumb for intentionally studying for over a year for a few hours each week when I heard most people only took a few months to prep. I went through Zach Stone's free trial on demand class sections and read several of the typical reference books during October 2019-April 2020 and then signed up for the full class at the end of April 2020 finishing up the on demand classes I couldn't access during the trial. Then I just reviewed my notes and a few videos a head of time in preparation for the live classes each week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I always felt like I was dumb for intentionally studying for over a year for a few hours each week when I heard most people only took a few months to prep. I went through Zach Stone's free trial on demand class sections and read several of the typical reference books during October 2019-April 2020 and then signed up for the full class at the end of April 2020 finishing up the on demand classes I couldn't access during the trial. Then I just reviewed my notes and a few videos a head of time in preparation for the live classes each week. 
So you haven't taken it yet either, the CBT will be your first time?

Keep your head up everyone! Don't forget to take a break when you need to.

I highly recommend taking advantage of the extra month or two you have before your CBT exam date compared to the October exam date to deep dive on areas you are most uncomfortable with.

I just did the PPI practice exams... And sadly even with much practice from other practice sets (e.g. Cram for Exam, Electrical PE Review, Eng Pro Guides, Complex Imaginary, Spin-Up), there were still some questions & topics in the PPI exam that I just was not familiar or rusty with.

The earliest I can take the CBT exam is January 2021...

Back