April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The threading method you mentioned. Can you go into some detail about it? I didn't really find any info on it when I did a google search.
Haha, you wouldn't have found anything on the internet about it directly. It's an idea I lifted from the Bullet Journal dude. So basically, I tried to "idiot-proof" my reference material on test day (because I R a nervous test taker) so I'm not burning time flipping pages unnecessarily.

So, in a nutshell: say I'm working on a problem that uses an equation from page XXX of my mechanical engineering reference manual (the "MERM"), in the margin of my sample problem (where I've reprinted all my practice problems on their own page) I write in red ink "MERM page XXX" (or any other instance of this equation in any other reference). That way I can easily find any other forms of the same equation or maybe some related equations/concepts that are more appropriate for the new problem at hand. Or, say I kind of prefer a form of an equation in my ASHRAE handbook, I'll put a little flag in the MERM (as well as a note in the practice problem margin) that points to the exact page in the ASHRAE handbook to remind me to use that one instead. The "threading" comes from the fact that, let's say you're already in the MERM looking up an equation, I've also noted in the margins of the MERM the exact worked problems that use those equations/ideas that are all sorted by topic area. That way, if you're very lucky, if the exam has a problem that verrrry closely resembles a problem you have already seen, your solution will be neatly annotated and worked out. Plug and play.

Honestly, on test day I didn't "use" this model explicitly, like at all. The point is that all the front-end work and prep in studying was the real benefit. Sort of like making your own flashcards or cheat sheet. In making the cheat sheet, you're already studying so...win-win. Plus if you have a total brain fart, all your study material is referenced appropriately.

tried that last time, but ended up with three project submittals during those two-three weeks before the test; it utterly destroyed my last two weeks of studying (which was the time I was going to dedicate to practice tests).  This will be my second attempt at the power exam.
I might be the wrong guy to be giving advice, because April 2020 is my first time taking it. But it shocked me you were waiting 2 weeks before the exam to start hammering out practice test. I took my first practice test last weekend (December 29th). I am going to try to take a practice test each weekend (maybe 3 every 4 weekends) leading up to the test. 

So, in a nutshell: say I'm working on a problem that uses an equation from page XXX of my mechanical engineering reference manual (the "MERM"), in the margin of my sample problem (where I've reprinted all my practice problems on their own page) I write in red ink "MERM page XXX" (or any other instance of this equation in any other reference). That way I can easily find any other forms of the same equation or maybe some related equations/concepts that are more appropriate for the new problem at hand. Or, say I kind of prefer a form of an equation in my ASHRAE handbook, I'll put a little flag in the MERM (as well as a note in the practice problem margin) that points to the exact page in the ASHRAE handbook to remind me to use that one instead. The "threading" comes from the fact that, let's say you're already in the MERM looking up an equation, I've also noted in the margins of the MERM the exact worked problems that use those equations/ideas that are all sorted by topic area. That way, if you're very lucky, if the exam has a problem that verrrry closely resembles a problem you have already seen, your solution will be neatly annotated and worked out. Plug and play.

Honestly, on test day I didn't "use" this model explicitly, like at all. The point is that all the front-end work and prep in studying was the real benefit. Sort of like making your own flashcards or cheat sheet. In making the cheat sheet, you're already studying so...win-win. Plus if you have a total brain fart, all your study material is referenced appropriately.
Thanks for the info. I'm getting all my references out tonight and I was planning on spending a few days going through everything and coming up with a game plan. Maybe I should spend a little more time with my reference materials before I jump into problems.

I might be the wrong guy to be giving advice, because April 2020 is my first time taking it. But it shocked me you were waiting 2 weeks before the exam to start hammering out practice test. I took my first practice test last weekend (December 29th). I am going to try to take a practice test each weekend (maybe 3 every 4 weekends) leading up to the test. 
It's not that I hadn't taken any practice tests, just that I hadn't the dedicated time I desired to exclusively take practice tests.  In the weeks/months prior, I was going through the material of the coursework and working practice problems associated with each section.  I was able to work on a little bit of practice tests, but not nearly as much as I wanted to.  I'm naturally a good test taker, and while this is the most difficult test of this type I've taken, my typical method goes just like before (just with a little more time).  Take the time to go through all the material to familiarize myself with it, then after that crank exclusively on practice tests.  If I had been able to dedicate full time those last two weeks like I wanted to (as in at least two 40 hour weeks), I may have been able to pass.  That's still questionable, but I was doing the best I could with the time at my disposal.  I was tempted in the couple of weeks before the test to see if I could cancel and move my test to the April test, as I was fairly certain that I hadn't studied enough and saw the deadlines coming and knew I wasn't going to have a chance in hell of having the time I needed.  However, I figured at the very least I would have been exposed to the test and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't pass my first time.  There were a couple of reasons I didn't pass: first being that I didn't start studying early enough, second being that my work schedule was just too hectic in the months/weeks up to the test.  I've been working as the main electrical designer directly under the PE of record for a new airport terminal (Orlando International Airport), and it just kept me too busy.  Put that on top of family life (two little ones at home) and it was just a recipe for what came to pass (or lack thereof; *chuckle*).

That being said, work life has slowed to a manageable level and the future outlook of said schedule is looking promising.  That, and I am forecasting my leave now.  If there are any project deadlines coming in that time before the test, they will just have to be tailored to my study schedule or handled by somebody else.  Not that I really owe you, random internet stranger, an explanation or anything, but there you are regardless.  😀  I have been exposed to the test and all the material, and I will dedicate most of my time to working practice tests in the months to come.  I wish I had come across these forums earlier than I had.  It has been an excellent resource for study material I had never even heard of.  It's good to get feedback from all those who have taken the test in the past and can recommend what material to use, and what to avoid.

Understand completely the difficulty in balancing work/study/family life.  I'm married with a 2-1/2 year old at home.

The best thing I did to relieve stress was to print out a weekly plan with study time hours blocked for each day.  For example, my wife has a calendar on the fridge with my study schedule (Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8pm-11pm, and Saturdays 8am to 5pm).  I also have a list of topics/practice exams I plan for each week on a spreadsheet so I'm keeping track of hours studied and practice exam scores.

Understand completely the difficulty in balancing work/study/family life.  I'm married with a 2-1/2 year old at home.

The best thing I did to relieve stress was to print out a weekly plan with study time hours blocked for each day.  For example, my wife has a calendar on the fridge with my study schedule (Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8pm-11pm, and Saturdays 8am to 5pm).  I also have a list of topics/practice exams I plan for each week on a spreadsheet so I'm keeping track of hours studied and practice exam scores.
Yup, I've been telling my wife similar.  We need to set dedicated, blocked out study time.  That's another mistake I made last time around, though it would've been difficult to set time aside ahead of time with how hectic my work schedule was.  It is a great idea to put it on her calendar; I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me.  That will probably happen when I go home tonight...right after a couple hours of studying. 😀  

Hell, I was able to get my undergrad degree and pass my FE with my eldest daughter when she was younger; I know I can get this test knocked out.  Granted, I wasn't working at the time as well, so my time outside of family time was dedicated to school and studying (thank you, G.I. Bill).  I call her a little one up above, but she's 11 now; not so little.  Kid has a bad habit of that growing up stuff and needs to knock that off. 😉

Yup, I've been telling my wife similar.  We need to set dedicated, blocked out study time.  That's another mistake I made last time around, though it would've been difficult to set time aside ahead of time with how hectic my work schedule was.  It is a great idea to put it on her calendar; I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me.  That will probably happen when I go home tonight...right after a couple hours of studying. 😀  

Hell, I was able to get my undergrad degree and pass my FE with my eldest daughter when she was younger; I know I can get this test knocked out.  Granted, I wasn't working at the time as well, so my time outside of family time was dedicated to school and studying (thank you, G.I. Bill).  I call her a little one up above, but she's 11 now; not so little.  Kid has a bad habit of that growing up stuff and needs to knock that off. 😉
My son was year old when I started studying.  It's easier now that I have a study routine. 

Yes, put it on your calendar and your wife's calendar.  My first go-around, I was in Zach Stone's class and my wife had the course schedule and calendar.  I would go upstairs to participate in the class, but after that it was random dates and weekends and I would tell her a day or two in advance what my plan was.  That caused a ton of stress.  By putting it on the calendar well in advance, it is MUCH better stress-wise this time.

Yes, put it on your calendar and your wife's calendar.
So what should I do? My husband doesn't keep a calendar.  :laugh:  JK, maybe I should buy a family calendar and put it in the kitchen or in the dining room.

He asked me last night what my game plan was for studying and I told him I didn't have one. The rest of the week is dedicated to coming up with one.

So what should I do? My husband doesn't keep a calendar.  :laugh:  JK, maybe I should buy a family calendar and put it in the kitchen or in the dining room.

He asked me last night what my game plan was for studying and I told him I didn't have one. The rest of the week is dedicated to coming up with one.
Is he an engineer too? Only reason I ask is I"m asking does he understand how amazing it is to have a PE? We make calendars on shutterfly with pictures of our kids on it. I would print one of those, hand write your study times on it, then have that as a schedule that u both can see at the house. 

Google "calendars" and print out any calendar.  I printed out December 2019 through April 2020.  I started with Friday, April 17th and wrote "Pass the PE Exam."  Then I wrote "1" on the previous Friday and all the way back until "17" for 12/20/19 when I started studying again.  For each Saturday I blocked off 8am-5pm for studying and again from 8pm-11pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.  I wrote this in for every week up until the exam.  I put all 5 calendars and took 1 or 2 big magnets and put them on the refrigerator so both have the schedule to see.  I also printed a study log such as the one I attached below.  

Study Exam Log.jpg

Is he an engineer too? Only reason I ask is I"m asking does he understand how amazing it is to have a PE? We make calendars on shutterfly with pictures of our kids on it. I would print one of those, hand write your study times on it, then have that as a schedule that u both can see at the house. 
Yeah he's structural. He definitely understands. After I take this test he is going to work towards the same goal. We have an almost 5 year old at home so we agreed that only one person should be studying at a time. It was pretty ruff on her the last time I took this test. For several weeks after the exam was over she would follow me all around the house. She kept thinking that I was going to leave and not come home for hours. When I study I almost always have to leave. We have a small house and the best place to study is in the dining room. That doesn't really work out with an open floor plan.

I will definitely get a calendar this weekend! He's pretty good about entertaining the kid when I'm gone but having my study sessions written down will be helpful. 

With my bonus my wife said, "Hey with this money we have more than enough to re-build the deck and replace the gazebo!"  I said, "With the PE we would be able to build the screened-in porch you really wanted." lol

Yeah he's structural. He definitely understands. After I take this test he is going to work towards the same goal. We have an almost 5 year old at home so we agreed that only one person should be studying at a time. It was pretty ruff on her the last time I took this test. For several weeks after the exam was over she would follow me all around the house. She kept thinking that I was going to leave and not come home for hours. When I study I almost always have to leave. We have a small house and the best place to study is in the dining room. That doesn't really work out with an open floor plan.

I will definitely get a calendar this weekend! He's pretty good about entertaining the kid when I'm gone but having my study sessions written down will be helpful. 
I have an upstairs bonus room that's my study cave but my 2-1/2 year old knows I'm there so I ended up going to the library anyway lol.

Our library is only open 7 hours on weekends (9-5) so this time I arranged to be upstairs during practice exams.  Last weekend it worked out ok so that's good.  Plus he's older now and my wife can take him places on weekends easier than she used to.

I feel ya, I got 5 year old twin girls princesses at home. I miss my little babies so much when I have to work/study. 
It really is hard! They are so fun at this age. I could do without the attitude but almost everything else is so much fun. 

I do believe it helps to take breaks once in a while (except during timed practice exams).  Take a 5 min break after every hour or half hour.  I have a weighted practice golf club that I hit a stuffed bag with every so often.  My son got a used Wii for Christmas (I had wished we never sold ours) along with my parent's balance board.  That Wii fit with the balance board is super-challenging, especially with the balance games.  It's nice to do during those 5 minute breaks.

Latest posts

Back