April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently studying for April 2020 Power PE exam. I started reviewing my college notes  mid October with the Graffeo as a guide. Now, I am digging the Engineering pro study guides. I study 3hrs on weekdays and 8-9hrs on weekends. I’m planning to finish all the topics first and then do the practice problems after. I have a lot of practice problems to play with after.

complex imaginary, spin ups, engineering pro, testmasters, wasim, chelapati, shoebrooks, grafeo primer

Hope i can finish them all. 😅
Wasim is garbage for the PE so dont waste your time

Starting to put my binders together (same strategy as previous exams) of worked problems and handwritten notes (if I don't write it, I don't learn it). My twist is that I scan and reprint every (and I mean EVERY) sample problem (from various sources, ugh...takes forever) onto its own sheet. Once that problem is worked with neatly printed notes and equations cross-referenced to the MERM/CERM/whatever (I think this is called "threading"), I categorize it into the appropriate tabbed section in a YUUGE (3.5"? 4"? I forget...) D-ring binder so I can find it via the index later. Really, this is the "Dr. Tom's" method but mine is all handmade. It ends up being about 2-400 pages depending on exam type, but I know it like the back of my hand.

Starting to put my binders together (same strategy as previous exams) of worked problems and handwritten notes (if I don't write it, I don't learn it). My twist is that I scan and reprint every (and I mean EVERY) sample problem (from various sources, ugh...takes forever) onto its own sheet. Once that problem is worked with neatly printed notes and equations cross-referenced to the MERM/CERM/whatever (I think this is called "threading"), I categorize it into the appropriate tabbed section in a YUUGE (3.5"? 4"? I forget...) D-ring binder so I can find it via the index later. Really, this is the "Dr. Tom's" method but mine is all handmade. It ends up being about 2-400 pages depending on exam type, but I know it like the back of my hand.
What sort of prep/course/notes would you do for the Power PE? Would you just work practice problems? Take online courses? Take courses at a university? Other?

What sort of prep/course/notes would you do for the Power PE? Would you just work practice problems? Take online courses? Take courses at a university? Other?
No course planned (at least for this attempt). Mostly just working [a cluster ton of] practice problems (that's how I got past the others). This is all optional, so worst case I'll just reschedule the exam.

I did some 3-phase, motors, and controls stuff in industry before so I think I'm OK there (already took some practice exams last year, so I'm feeling comfortable). Mostly it's just code stuff, lighting (I don't do much of this), and power transmission (somewhat new to me) that I'm feeling weak on so there's some of that I will review.

I'm absolutely not a naturally gifted test taker so I put in the time and work a bazillion problems, pick up and review areas I'm weak on, ask my colleagues/books/internetz for clarification, move on, and review some more. So, again, not generally a good test taker but I'm generally VERY (if I may say so myself) good at teaching something to myself with the resources I have available around me.

No course planned (at least for this attempt). Mostly just working [a cluster ton of] practice problems (that's how I got past the others). This is all optional, so worst case I'll just reschedule the exam.

I did some 3-phase, motors, and controls stuff in industry before so I think I'm OK there (already took some practice exams last year, so I'm feeling comfortable). Mostly it's just code stuff, lighting (I don't do much of this), and power transmission (somewhat new to me) that I'm feeling weak on so there's some of that I will review.

I'm absolutely not a naturally gifted test taker so I put in the time and work a bazillion problems, pick up and review areas I'm weak on, ask my colleagues/books/internetz for clarification, move on, and review some more. So, again, not generally a good test taker but I'm generally VERY (if I may say so myself) good at teaching something to myself with the resources I have available around me.
I love your philosophy. I have 2 BIG binders (5 inch D ring) that has all Zach Stone's course notes, all his quizzes, and then "extra" stuff like Justin's ENGR Pro guides and all the questions I've worked separated by section. (My sections are based off the PE Specification list by NCEES). 

I can't decide if this is the better method, or just having formulas/theory/etc all in binders, and then 1 binder that is "solutions only" separated by section. Because if i "know" how to work a problem (say its find low side CT current) then I wouldn't need my solutions binder, just the "formulas/conceptual" (Zach stone) binder so I can verify I'm doing the process correctly. 

I don't know I usually have a ton of confidence....but the more I learn...the more I realize I don't know enough. :(  

but the more I learn...the more I realize I don't know enough
This is the mark of true wisdom. Seriously.

I don't have a lot of patience for people (or engineers, sorry) who roll like they know everything. Sorry, not buying it.

Back on topic: On exam day I split my references into two binders like you: one for equations/tables/indexes (at the time, I had the MERM and CERM indexes printed separately from the book, a lifesaver!) and one for worked problems only. The "threading" that I mentioned was also a lifesaver, it's all an effort to reduce the mental load and wasted time on exam day.

My sections are based off the PE Specification list by NCEES
Same. This is the most practical. But I'm open to modification, too. For example, for the mechanical TFS exam, I split thermo first law and second law-type problems into their own sections. And if the problem touched on multiple topics (e.g. some had a fluids section you had to solve first, THEN the thermo, or vice versa) I just photocopied the whole problem and put it in both sections. I printed everything at work so paper costs were not a concern.

This is what i did before my 2nd attempt.  I had a 5" binder with every practice exam divided into categories.  It was very useful to have one "go-to" binder.

I love your philosophy. I have 2 BIG binders (5 inch D ring) that has all Zach Stone's course notes, all his quizzes, and then "extra" stuff like Justin's ENGR Pro guides and all the questions I've worked separated by section. (My sections are based off the PE Specification list by NCEES). 

I can't decide if this is the better method, or just having formulas/theory/etc all in binders, and then 1 binder that is "solutions only" separated by section. Because if i "know" how to work a problem (say its find low side CT current) then I wouldn't need my solutions binder, just the "formulas/conceptual" (Zach stone) binder so I can verify I'm doing the process correctly. 

I don't know I usually have a ton of confidence....but the more I learn...the more I realize I don't know enough. :(  
The last sentence tells me you have the right attitude and you'll probably do well!

wait @squaretaper LIT AF PE are you seriously gonna take the power pe?! 
Uh...it's a hobby?

In seriousness, I was *already* going to take it last year (when I was in motor controls) so a.) I already have the resources/books and b.) I'm trying to fire-proof myself and c.) I enjoy learning so why not and d.) I generally prepare my own electrical drawings anyway and have my boss (an electrical PE) review/stamp it so I'd like to stamp my own drawings. AND, I already meet my state's experience requirements for the license (due to the aforementioned pump controls biz), just need to pass the exam.

Also, for all these extracurriculars, I don't allow it to intrude too much (or at all) on my personal life. For example, for the Civil, I did almost all my studying on the bus to/from work. I'll do the same for Power. I'm sitting on my tuches anyway, might as well learn something and get a license out of it...

Oh yeah, aaaand per my union contract, I get a 5% salary differential if I have 2 licenses, but I'm still a least a year (or more, depending on whether I pass the 2 CA-specific exams, could be a while!) from the civil license. So, since I have the experience for the Electrical license now, might as well try.

@LyceeFruit PE Plus I have to earn that LIT AF credential. LIT AF is as LIT AF does, amirite fam? (<--did I do that right?)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the mark of true wisdom. Seriously.

I don't have a lot of patience for people (or engineers, sorry) who roll like they know everything. Sorry, not buying it.

Back on topic: On exam day I split my references into two binders like you: one for equations/tables/indexes (at the time, I had the MERM and CERM indexes printed separately from the book, a lifesaver!) and one for worked problems only. The "threading" that I mentioned was also a lifesaver, it's all an effort to reduce the mental load and wasted time on exam day.

Same. This is the most practical. But I'm open to modification, too. For example, for the mechanical TFS exam, I split thermo first law and second law-type problems into their own sections. And if the problem touched on multiple topics (e.g. some had a fluids section you had to solve first, THEN the thermo, or vice versa) I just photocopied the whole problem and put it in both sections. I printed everything at work so paper costs were not a concern.
You said MERM and CERM, Do you already have a mechanical/civil PE and you are pursuing and electrical power PE? 

You said MERM and CERM, Do you already have a mechanical/civil PE and you are pursuing and electrical power PE? 
It's a long story, but yes, I have the Mechanical PE license in CA and recently passed the Civil exam but I don't yet meet the experience/CA-specific exam requirements for the actual license (so I can't even apply at this time, I miscalculated my strategy, oops). I changed industries early last year, so I do meet the project/industry experience requirements for the Electrical license so I'll give it a shot.

So, this is sort of an effort to make more money right now just by statute (my union will pay me 5% more if I hold two licenses). So it's either wait a couple years for the civil, OR attempt the Electrical and get more money now. I pick now. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

Edit: I dropped studying for the Electrical last year because Electrical (to me) is harder/scarier/spookier/mysterious-blue-smokier so I'm honestly more intimidated by the subject matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a long story, but yes, I have the Mechanical PE license in CA and recently passed the Civil exam but I don't yet meet the experience/CA-specific exam requirements for the actual license (so I can't even apply at this time, I miscalculated my strategy, oops). I changed industries early last year, so I do meet the project/industry experience requirements for the Electrical license so I'll give it a shot.

So, this is sort of an effort to make more money right now just by statute (my union will pay me 5% more if I hold two licenses). So it's either wait a couple years for the civil, OR attempt the Electrical and get more money now. I pick now. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.
You are an awesome dude my friend. Or dudette. Either way, good for you. 

You are an awesome dude my friend. Or dudette. Either way, good for you. 
Does TN license by discipline? I could look it up...but I ain't gonna. :rotflmao:

On topic: I wasn't really planning on taking a class this round, are you retaking your class or just reusing the printed material? I'm on the fence about a class.

Back