Apple iPhone 6

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to stir the pot a little, I've noticed that Samsung/Android/whatever users are very militant about their phone being better than my iphone. Its like they all have something to prove. I like my apple. Its better doing somethings. Not so much at others, but "those" guys seem to have to prove it every chance they get.

Ditto. I don't claim that Apple makes the best phones. But I like the OS, and I'm used to it. I'm sure that if I used an Android device for a while, I'd be used to it as well. But honestly, I don't do anything processor-intensive enough to justify switching to Android just to get bleeding edge technology. I do think Apple's big media events are getting a little out of hand. They made out like this one was going to be something revolutionary, and they essentially rolled out an under-spec'd phone, a watch that is already playing catch-up to Pebble, and a mobile payment system that I'm mildly interested in. But just like every other Apple device, I'm giving them a year to work out the kinks. I've been on the "S" update cycle for the last several years (3GS, 4S, 5S). So the technology has already been out for a year before I have to deal with it. This was especially useful with the iPhone 4, given the shitty antenna in the first model that was mostly fixed in the 4S.
That is basically all I was trying to convey. As I typically say to friends and family members when asked about various techs, use what you're comfortable with. If you like and are familiar with Apple products, go for it. They make most of their products easy to use and tamper proof. But that usually comes with a high price tag. Samsung doesn't make the best phones in the world and I have my own complaints about various things they do or don't do. But I feel they do their due diligence in delivering a nice product that rivals the competition. At the end of the day, most tech products we purchase accomplish almost all the tasks we need them to. So to each their own. :)

Samsung=Made in Korea=KIA=Killed In Action
Apple=Made in China=The Enemy ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an EVO 4g (personal) and Iphone 5s (work) and I like the Iphone better than my EVO.

Might also be due to one being 4 years old and one being new.

samsung responds quickly to customer complaints. Mr snick got a message yesterday saying the company had changed their minds about the proprietary charging cable and undid the block...two days late as mr snick just got the second proprietary charging cable he bought in the mail yesterday.

Just to stir the pot a little, I've noticed that Samsung/Android/whatever users are very militant about their phone being better than my iphone. Its like they all have something to prove. I like my apple. Its better doing somethings. Not so much at others, but "those" guys seem to have to prove it every chance they get.

Actually if you read through the advice threads, most of us militant phone users often say, "it depends on what your used to" and that goes for iPad vs tablet as well.

I could care less what phone you use, but think that anyone who spends $600 on any phone must be an idiot with too much cash and not enough brains..... but lets refrain from stereotyping based on phones, or the next thing we know they'll be charging people with hate crimes based on windows vs apple vs droid

Well I'm an idiot then. My wife and I both got S4's for $650 each last year after TMobile got rid of their contracts. We are paying $84 a month for both phones with 5gb of LTE data a month for each phone. Since the phones are subsidized by the carriers, if you're paying $200 every two years on an upgrade then you are also paying at least $600 during those two years.

So they make you pay for the phone but then don't have a contract? I think either way they get you. Its like buying a new car, everyone claims they got a deal, but in all reality everyone gets screwed?

I have noticed AT&T doesn't want you to sign contracts anymore and instead they charge a small fee each month for renting the phone (or something) I am sure they are also screwing us with that also but I just haven't looked into what I actually signed for the last phone we did (which was a POS Samsung)

They're just getting trickier with where your monthly payment goes. In the end, they end up with your money. They wouldn't be making these changes to their contracts/billing if it wasn't profitable.

I bought my phone off of Craigslist used and then went into ATT and got the SIM card updated. That's all it took and none of the rental BS or subsidies on the bill.

He only wants to provide a hardware upgrade or two.

Remember the engineer's mantra: If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features!

So they make you pay for the phone but then don't have a contract? I think either way they get you. Its like buying a new car, everyone claims they got a deal, but in all reality everyone gets screwed?

I have noticed AT&T doesn't want you to sign contracts anymore and instead they charge a small fee each month for renting the phone (or something) I am sure they are also screwing us with that also but I just haven't looked into what I actually signed for the last phone we did (which was a POS Samsung)

Yeah, pretty much. The way to get a deal is to get on these unsubsidized plans and hold on to your phone for a long time. Basically, the price comes out even for two years with a new phone subsidized or unsubsidized, but you come out ahead as soon as those two years are up since your monthly payments are less. We have the benefit of having been with TMo for a looooong time, so we are grandfathered in to some awesome monthly rates.

bcec7c01900694472fa923ae12b3b097.jpg

They're just getting trickier with where your monthly payment goes. In the end, they end up with your money. They wouldn't be making these changes to their contracts/billing if it wasn't profitable.

I'm not completely sure they're doing this for their own good. T-mobile started this practice to try to steal customers from the big boys. T-mobile has been really aggressive on this and I think AT&T hates it, but they don't have a choice but to offer something competitive. I think this is an example of the free market driving competition. However when (and I say when, not if) someone buys out T-mobile and/or Sprint, this competition will probably go away.

I have a $150 unsubsidized phone from T-mobile, no contract, and I've had it almost 3 years, so I figure I've saved several hundred dollars over the contract route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back