Apple iPhone 6

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The iphone appears more user friendly once it's jail broken. However, most people don't do that and act like sheeple to get the latest & greatest.

In all reality, we just need the damn phone, the ability to do everything else is a bonus. Sure I like the ability to check my email, update appointments on the calendar and save the membership cards to lighten up the wallet along with a few other things (IE tapatalk); but at the end of the day, it's just a friggin phone!

I have no clue what the next phone will be should the current (iphone 5 with recently replaced battery) take a swan dive off a tall bridge, get hit by a chainsaw or go through a wood chipper... All I know is that I have a backup of my important data and should be able to transfer it to any future device. As long as the current is working decently, I'm a happy camper.

EDIT - I only have real experience with the Crapple products. A few co-workers swear by the Samsungs, but I'd prefer something smaller than a tablet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The iphone appears more user friendly once it's jail broken. However, most people don't do that and act like sheeple to get the latest & greatest.

In all reality, we just need the damn phone, the ability to do everything else is a bonus. Sure I like the ability to check my email, update appointments on the calendar and save the membership cards to lighten up the wallet along with a few other things (IE tapatalk); but at the end of the day, it's just a friggin phone!

I have no clue what the next phone will be should the current (iphone 5 with recently replaced battery) take a swan dive off a tall bridge, get hit by a chainsaw or go through a wood chipper... All I know is that I have a backup of my important data and should be able to transfer it to any future device. As long as the current is working decently, I'm a happy camper.

EDIT - I only have real experience with the Crapple products. A few co-workers swear by the Samsungs, but I'd prefer something smaller than a tablet.

I would say the opposite, I jailbroke my ipad a while ago and started having all sorts of issues with it. I went back to stock and it was all good. You can't play KotOR on an Android. Not to mention all the DS games that have been ported over.

For my phone though, it didn't take too long for me to decide whether to buy an S4 or an iPhone. The external SD card was all it took.

Sampple FTMFW!! :p

Remember MetsFan, I put "appears" and was discussing the iphone, not the ipad (I don't own a tablet). I have NO clue what it'd do to an ipad. Jail breaking isn't for everyone and there are many apps that are non-compatible between systems, but to each their own.

okay so we cant agree on cell phone so lets crank this up a notch!

whats the best case?

I have had and grown to hate both the Otterbox defender and the lifeproof case.. they have both worked in terms of keeping my phone screen from breaking ,but neither case seems to last more than a year... I bought the lifeproof case cause it was rated to be better in extreme cold (bly?)

but everyone we met on days when its -2 degrees all our phones would go from 99% battery to 10% battery quick like (both Samsung and the Iphones)

funny that last year my daughter had a cheap trac phone (I don't recall the brand) but her phone would keep a good charge on the cold days..

and whomever says FTW next to their phone case is being deleted....

troll_face_you_mad_bro_tshirt_medium_2_raw.jpg

I've had both otterbox and lifeproof. I prefer the lifeproof just for the fact that it is a better case when you accidentally leave your phone on the hood of the truck, drive off, realize its gone, then drive over it and smash it into the mud. Phone survived. I had my phone in an otterbox and the 30 minutes in the snow allowed some moisture under the case; the phone still worked, but I had to let it dry off overnight before restarting it. I've dunked my phone three times while canoeing with no issues of water getting into the lifeproof case.

The other half has had the same lifeproof case (& phone) for almost 2 years and the case is starting to fall apart. I keep telling her to get a replacement, but she thinks that once she replaces the case that the phone will die and she'll be having to get a new phone and case. I already know what her birthday present is going to be since she is constantly complaining about the case falling apart.

As for the cold, it doesn't matter what case you have, if the phone is exposed to the cold temperatures, there are going to be issues with battery life. I usually get the phone is too warm message and it needs to cool off when it's been exposed to -20*F for more than 10 minutes. Now I tend to keep the phone under the jacket or in a bib pocket while out plowing instead of in the belt case. Phone stays warmer and the battery problems seem to be reduced.

Both the otterbox and lifeproof are pretty good in the cold temperatures for durability though.

Remember MetsFan, I put "appears" and was discussing the iphone, not the ipad (I don't own a tablet). I have NO clue what it'd do to an ipad. Jail breaking isn't for everyone and there are many apps that are non-compatible between systems, but to each their own.

I'm pretty sure the iPad is just a large iPhone, so it would be the same for both. Either way though, I didn't think it added enough functionality for it to be worth it.

okay so we cant agree on cell phone so lets crank this up a notch!

whats the best case?

I have had and grown to hate both the Otterbox defender and the lifeproof case.. they have both worked in terms of keeping my phone screen from breaking ,but neither case seems to last more than a year... I bought the lifeproof case cause it was rated to be better in extreme cold (bly?)

but everyone we met on days when its -2 degrees all our phones would go from 99% battery to 10% battery quick like (both Samsung and the Iphones)

funny that last year my daughter had a cheap trac phone (I don't recall the brand) but her phone would keep a good charge on the cold days..

and whomever says FTW next to their phone case is being deleted....

I have the Otterbox Commuter and it's been great. I've had it since I bought the phone last July and it has held up well, even at the hands of a 2/3 year old. I looked at the Defender, but it was too bulky for my tastes.

You know, for the longest time, I thought FML meant "for my loss" and was supposed to be the opposite of FTW. Close enough I guess.

My biggest complaint with the life proof case is that at the top part of the phone all of the rubber has worn away..

Some of that might be my fault for sticking it in my pocket because my wife's case has not done that..

We went snowshoeing in Nederland last year it was -10 and my phone completely died in about 30 min...

But I do really like all of life proofs attachments say for your bike and for running those have worked pretty well for me

I should add that I had the Otterbox Defender. The lifeproof is way less bulky.

Here's my belt case:
6umedeme.jpg

Its from Nite Ize Innovation. Works well enough.

My biggest complaint with the life proof case is that at the top part of the phone all of the rubber has worn away..

Some of that might be my fault for sticking it in my pocket because my wife's case has not done that..

We went snowshoeing in Nederland last year it was -10 and my phone completely died in about 30 min...
SO

MUCH

TO

RESIST

My S5 stays charged for two days worth of maps and surfing and everything else.

SO

MUCH

TO

RESIST

My S5 stays charged for two days worth of maps and surfing and everything else.
mr snicks too. at least 2 days.

I just don't really think there is a major difference for 99% of people out there to be honest...
Agreed. Most of the functionality and features I rant about, are for the enthusiast type user.

You can't play KotOR on an Android. Not to mention all the DS games that have been ported over.
I can. But requires root access to do so. :D

<> bullshit .....
So does the S4. But mostly because I removed all the BS-ware. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My older son has the s4 and it doesn't hold battery for 2 hours... Of course he is 15 and probably has too much shit on it....

My wife can get a full day out of her phone but she doesn't use it near as much as i do..

I can kill my phone in two hours, or I can run the thing for 3 days. It all depends on what I'm doing with it.

Back