ANYBODY GET THEIR PE RAISES YET??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good one to bump...

I was slightly underpaid to start...I got 10% without asking about a week after I got my results and was told that the final raise amount would be determined in the next few weeks. Based on where I am career wise, I think I need another 12-14% on top of my new salary to be where I should be.

-GT

I was slightly underpaid to start...I got 10% without asking about a week after I got my results and was told that the final raise amount would be determined in the next few weeks. Based on where I am career wise, I think I need another 12-14% on top of my new salary to be where I should be.
Almost the same situation as me. I was promoted to my current position last year but it was only a title promotion, pay grade remains the same. Now that I pass the PE, I'm supposed to be 1 grade higher than what I'm supposed to be right now.

Let see what my boss do in the coming weeks since I'm 2 pay grade behind what I'm supposed to be right now.

Today I got my cash award for passing the PE.... $250.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm totally bummed out. After taxes that doesn't even cover the "the other board" books I bought. Motivation is taking a serious hit today.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm totally bummed out. After taxes that doesn't even cover the "the other board" books I bought. Motivation is taking a serious hit today.

When I got my bonus, "Atta boy!", I really didn't care - still on cloud nine from the good news.

And who needs motivation when you got this site :210:

Wow frazil, that IS a real pissah!

If it is any consolation, I have been given a window-office to of all things a parking lot and certificate of Professional Achievement recognizing my efforts to obtain professional licensure. :true:

It is easier said than done, but don't take it personally. Talk to your supervisor about it - see what sort of additional compensation or future compensation may be forthcoming.

For me, I am going to have to be satisfied with deferred gratification at this point. It's a serious lump for me to swallow, especially after everyone knows how much work I put in, but I am willing to wait. Just a little while. :210:

JR

That's true, I"m still totally pumped just to be able to say I passed the test and am now licensed. I just think that if you're going to give someone an "award", you should make it meaningful. :210:

you are with the feds right? won't that line you up for the next pay level? or are you in one of those tiny offices that gets ignored?

Thanks for your posts. This site is awesome. I was just having a little pity party.

I do work for the fed govt and as long as I work here I'll never have to use my stamp. So getting my license was really a personal goal. But they encourage people to do it because it makes the organization look better. There's even a policy that will repay you for all your expenses (fees, reference materials, travel, time off to study/take the test), but you have to put in the paperwork early, like before you apply for the test. I didn't because I was told that here they just give you a bonus at the end -- I thought it would at least cover those expenses, which I think were probably 3 times what I got.

Oh well. I'm going to follow your advice, JR and swallow it for now, hoping that eventually it will pay off -- maybe help me get another promotion. Or if nothing else, help me get better paying job. But I really love my work, so I hate to think of leaving.

:true: :210:

Hey frazil, if it makes you feel any better I am making way less than you (based on the salary by discipline thread) even after passing my PE and getting a 15% raise! :210:

I havent gone in to have the "talk" yet.

my boss is also our SE regionanl manager and the guy is NEVER HERE!!!!

It has been encouraging to talk to people on the phone *with other firms* about making >$100K (sorry if that seems like gloating) and have them not laugh..

I dont really want to make a move, but I want to get an idea of what my "services" would be worth..

Last edited by a moderator:

It has been encouraging to talk to people on the phone *with other firms* about making >$100K (sorry if that seems like gloating) and have them not laugh..

I dont really want to make a move, but I want to get an idea of what my "services" would be worth..
RG...100k?

Let me know where this is!! im only at 85k in AZ!

Timmy

almost any transportation consulting firm in Atlanta area (I am at $85 as well)

If you really want to know the name send me a PM

although actually I would probably be happy to get $95 (stay here), the firms I have talked to are on the other side of town, when I spoke with them I said it would take at least $105 & some serious flex time to get me to drive over that way, and to my suprise they all said "okay"

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow, RG that's great!! Does everyone there with similar years of experience and PE generally make that amount? You guys wouldn't happen to need the services of a willing to learn, hard working West Virginian with a PE would you? :(

almost any transportation consulting firm in Atlanta area (I am at $85 as well)
If you really want to know the name send me a PM

although actually I would probably be happy to get $95 (stay here), the firms I have talked to are on the other side of town, when I spoke with them I said it would take at least $105 & some serious flex time to get me to drive over that way, and to my suprise they all said "okay"

I feel like I'm gonna throw up.

I feel like I'm gonna throw up.

It costs RG way more to live in Hot-Lanta than it costs you to live in WV. Maybe not enough more to make up for the differences in salary but still.....

I haven't had "the talk" yet either, but I did receive my stamps yesterday and will most likely be asked to sign and seal stuff within a month. That's not gonna happen before "the talk". :( I'm more than a little curious what "the talk" will produce. I don't expect a major life changing raise but I'm still curious.

built into that is a good deal of client contacts though.

but I dont know many Project Managers for Transportation projects in this area, with 10 years experience, making less than $90. I was only making $85 since I didnt have the PE.

We hired 2 PE's last year from out of state (so they have zilch in terms of local experience and contacts) and I think one got $75 and the other got $80. Which sort of pissed me off because I do a large amount of BD. and they dont really have to do any BD (marketing)

Also keep in mind that new houses in good school districts are running around $300,000. I actually could not probably afford to move back into my own house at the moment (a new neighborhood next to my house is from the "low" $500's but they are not selling..

Back