Questions on Requirements For PE and SE Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheBuilder

Reaction score
I've been working in engineering for several years now but have yet to take my FE. As I begin to prepare to take the FE this year, I had a few questions. If I have the necessary experience and pass the FE, can I also take the PE later this year or early next year? Additionally, is the PE required to take the SE? Appreciate any information and help. Thanks!

No experience required to take the FE. PE experience depends on the state.
I'm not in a state that has SE, but I imagine PE would be required.
Look into Maine for the FE. No board approval required, and you can take the test remotely in any state.

I passed the FE in Mass., applied for Maine EI Certification (EIT) and paid the fee, obtained that cert., which requires no continuing ed. Took the PE Civil exam 3-14-24, which did not need prior approval from Maine PE Board. Assuming I pass, I will apply for Maine PE registration post-facto. Seems a good pathway. Maine PE will require continuing ed., which Mass (my residence state) does not. Mass. pre-approval requirements to take PE exam were burdensome. It's a trade-off, I suppose.

When you meet Mass. experience requirements, you should be able to apply to take the PE exam. Once approved, send them your Maine test result. That's how it works in Pennsylvania, it should be the same everywhere since the test is the same everywhere. It could save you continuing education and cost of additional state license. Make sure you check with the Mass board first, to make sure they accept test results from other states, before paying.

Back