Am I a dick?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Am I a dick?

• Yes, you are a dick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you are not a dick

• Geez, I'm not sure?

• What do you mean?

• Total voters
I'm starting to get the impression you guys are reading something into my posts that is entirely different than what I was talking about.

Well anyway, I need to lay low since my client's around. And, frankly, I'm feeling a little blue, what with it being my birthday and all. I guess I'm just going to hang with my office mates, the way things are going with the client now.

^^^ Well, since it's your birthday and you're hanging with your office mates, I hope you have a ball!

I'm starting to get the impression you guys are reading something into my posts that is entirely different than what I was talking about.
Well anyway, I need to lay low since my client's around. And, frankly, I'm feeling a little blue, what with it being my birthday and all. I guess I'm just going to hang with my office mates, the way things are going with the client now.

The Hamid Karzai avatar was much more regal, you should bring it back.

Wow, what a trip down the back alley of Memory Lane.  I still remember this client, but that was the last time I provided my services there.  I learned a hard lesson, though, and have since learned to just keep everything professional. The back door is for client personnel, only.  A professional only enters the front office, and the back door only when asked to.  

I had a recent experience that made me think of this episode again, and whether or not I've started to go too soft on my clients. My main client recently began to restrict my access to the entire facility.  Front office, around back, all over.  Even the field hands were told to ignore me. I made a call to the client's head office and was told that my services are still valued, but they just don't require my services as often as they used to. Because of my previous experiences of being perhaps a little too pushy, I thanked them for their business and offered to visit the main office to provide an oral presentation regarding potential other services that I can provide. But they responded that they were not interested.  So I politely reminded them of my phone number, and withdrew.

Folks, my business hasn't been doing so well recently, and this was my main client. I don't think I can continue to survive, just sitting around my office performing internet research and practicing for a real client.  Should I have been a little harder on my client, pushed my services more?  What can I do to increase the frequency of services requested by my client? I'd like to hear you thoughts, you've all been so helpful in the past.

Back