Am I a dick?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Am I a dick?

• Yes, you are a dick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you are not a dick

• Geez, I'm not sure?

• What do you mean?

• Total voters
PE_ness I hope the head office will come through and provide some relief during the temproary shut down. Carrying the overhead burden of a coulpe of subordinates druring no work periods can make conditions pretty blue. As others have said, sometimes doing some work "in-house", will keep the company firm and prepared for work upon repopening of the client's facility or should a new client come along.
I hope that was a typo, because "repopening" the facility could spell the end for all your business with that particular client. "Repopening" can occur in several degrees, from simple guilt trips all the way up to conversion to a convent, at which point the business model has changed and there is no need for your professional services anymore

As others have said, sometimes doing some work "in-house", will keep the company firm and prepared for work upon repopening of the client's facility or should a new client come along.
If you have some down time, might I suggest a little personal career development on the side. You can often find some excellent material online, and work it at your own pace. You may need to work it a few times to feel like you are really getting somewhere. Even though it's over the computer, it can be a very hands on experience, where you feel like you are actually there.

Remember, the competition is stiff. You really need to rise up and stick out to be noticed.
I second this suggestion. I have a good list of on-line study resources. But you don't need to be tied to a computer. There are lots of good periodicals and journals you can carry with you anywhere to keep your skills current. If you're really diligent, you can catch some quality self-practice time in numerous everyday situations where you might have otherwise been unoccupied - riding on the bus, for example, or at Starbucks, or church.

PE-ness,

sorry I've missed this thread until now, but sounds like you've gotten some great advice. All I can add is "KEEP YOUR HEAD UP", and you'll be fine

Time for an update:

The facility is re-opened. I was too busy during shut down to even make it to the head office, so no action on that front.

However, upon re-opening, I was able to get right in and put to use some of the advice you guys gave me. First thing in the morning, I stopped by the front office and gave a little service I had promised earlier. Just an oral briefing. But like you guys suggested, I slipped in a plug for my later work around back.

I decided to break out my people skills and wined and dined my client that night. A real nice dinner at a French restaurant, and a $90 bottle of wine. That loosened things up considerably, and allowed me to proceed with all my work as soon as we were back from the restaurant.

But then I made a really huge mistake. One that may have cost me my client for good, I am afraid - I got over-eager and attempted to deliver my product to the head office immediately upon finishing my work around back. No cleaning up, just barged right on in in my dirty, post-job condition. I even attempted to wipe my hands off on the drapes.

I knew I shouldn't have done any of that, but I just kind of wasn't thinking, being so excited about finally getting my job done. I guess I just assumed my client would have been as excited as I was.

Any suggestions for how I could patch things up with my client? Or have I gone too far this time?

No cleaning up, just barged right on in in my dirty, post-job condition. I even attempted to wipe my hands off on the drapes.
That is a dick move PE-ness. It seems like you were using your head, so I just can't see why you used such bad judgment.

I suggest you thoroughly clean the drapes and the carpet. And maybe take a hose and thoroughly clean out the rear for good measure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only are you a dick, you are also a shithead. Clients don't like shitheads in the head office or the front office for that matter.

Whoa, you took this one way too far. I don't understand what you're doing hanging around the rear entrance anyway if the client will let you in the front office and head offices. Why did you feel the need to visit the head office after you were working out back and why were your hands so dirty? I think you're going to have to find a client that likes to experiment with letting their consultants in all different doors and offices if you're going to get away with this kind of thing in the future. You might even have to resort to paying the clients that are willing to accept this kind of behavior.

If I were you, I'd call the head office to explain how excited you were, and how you thought the client would be, upon completing the services to the rear that you had promised. On top of that, since you did come while still dirty, I would even offer to remove the carpet free of charge and lay some good, hard wood from front door to back door whenever they wanted. Depending on the wood condition, the client may have to condition it on a regular basis, though. Hope it all works out.

Sounds like you should explain to your client that you are a businessman and that you have other clients who keep the front and back doors unlocked when requested. And that your services are one of kind, always a small lump sum that's always ahead of schedule compared to other consultants. You should explain the benefits of finishing projects prematurely. Sounds like a problem in the marketing department to me.

On top of that, since you did come while still dirty, I would even offer to remove the carpet free of charge and lay some good, hard wood from front door to back door whenever they wanted.
Offer to put down a coat of wax while you're at it to leave it smooth and lustrous.

I'd like a long-term cost analysis for laser vs wax treatments for front lobbies. It's something I would like to present to my client.

I'd like a long-term cost analysis for laser vs wax treatments for front lobbies. It's something I would like to present to my client.

As I noted in the corollary thread, I think it's probably beneficial to all parties to have the carpet removed from the front lobby altogether. You don't have to worry about spilling stuff on the carpet in the future and the appearance of the lobby is much more exotic. As I consultant, I don't really give a shit how it gets done, I just put it on the drawings and let the contractor take care of it. Call it a performance based specification.

I enjoy smooth, polished floors as much as anyone, but you need to watch out for when the floor starts to splinter. It wouldn't treat any tool you come into the office with too well.

Last edited by a moderator:
And really, with the safety concerns and liability for accidents and such, the drapes should go, too. Handrails could make a positive difference, though, so your client might want to consider installing some.

I enjoy smooth, polished floors as much as anyone, but you need to watch out for when the floor starts to splinter. It wouldn't treat any tool you come into the office with too well.
agreed. I am also a fan of a small well-kept entrance area rug. unfortunately, sometimes the floors around it get's rough and it tears up my equipment. Just a little spring cleaning and all is fine again.

Back