Am I a dick?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Am I a dick?

• Yes, you are a dick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you are not a dick

• Geez, I'm not sure?

• What do you mean?

• Total voters
Perhaps you can use the access to the front lobby as a way to "slip in" to the rear of the facility. If you are working hard enough in the front lobby, the asshole could become distracted, let you step out of the front lobby, and then allow access without even having a chance to block you. Then you can use that access as a way to show the asshole that the work you did in the back of the facility was something that you both wanted all along.

BTW, alcohol goes a long way towards helping in the distraction phase of this operation.

Last edited:
Did you ever think that you might be too big a dick to be allowed access to the rear? Sounds to me like you might need to find a client who's a much bigger asshole. or one that has allowed you to enter through the rear of the facility before. If all else fails, meeting in the front office is never a bad thing. You typically come to the same conclusion.

^^ I've always liked the front office. When I was in college I slipped up and accidentally got my fingers caught in the back door. Boy was it a shocker when that asshole found me there, but I haven't been back there sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always just play ignorant and barge in without asking: "Oh I'm sorry, you didn't want me to enter through the back door? Well I'm already here, so would it be OK if I just went about my business?"

PE-ness, you haven't said much about this facility that you are inspecting. I am assuming by the restrictions placed on entry that perhaps the facility could have been considered a confined space and as such, have specialized procedures for entry? If that is the case, perhaps you have over-inflated the issue with your client?

I am voting know NO for the poll - I think you are just misunderstood.

JR

Last edited:
Well guys, I almost got in yesterday, but I didn't want to push my luck. Things were going smoothly and I didn't want to jeopardize my work up front.

But then quite unexpectedly, the end of the month reared its ugly head, and the whole facility is off-limits for a week! I am going to check and see if the head office can provide me some temporary compensation, because I don't know if I can go a whole week without work. Otherwise, I don't know what I will do.

Any suggestions?

Is there anybody there that can give you a hand?

Sometimes you just have to help yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
PE_ness I hope the head office will come through and provide some relief during the temproary shut down. Carrying the overhead burden of a coulpe of subordinates druring no work periods can make conditions pretty blue. As others have said, sometimes doing some work "in-house", will keep the company firm and prepared for work upon repopening of the client's facility or should a new client come along.

Sometimes that end of the month furlough is all the excuse you need to go digging around in back.

PE-ness, you haven't said much about this facility that you are inspecting. I am assuming by the restrictions placed on entry that perhaps the facility could have been considered a confined space and as such, have specialized procedures for entry?
This sounds like a low oxygen/high methance atmosphere. PE-Ness, you already indicated there was an explosion back there previously. Perhaps your client doesn't want to risk similar embarassment and liability for the clean up afterwards.

Pe-ness, you have to be careful when asking the head office for compensation. Whatever issue you have will be blow... out of proportion.

I understand why the front office would be closed for business, I'm sure they have some cleaning to do and such.

However, I don't understand why the rear entry is closed. There's really no point in cleaning up back there since it'll just be muddy again tomorrow.

You might consider visiting another client during this time. There are probably a few more out there that aren't so stingy about gainging access to the rear entrance.

As others have said, sometimes doing some work "in-house", will keep the company firm and prepared for work upon repopening of the client's facility or should a new client come along.
If you have some down time, might I suggest a little personal career development on the side. You can often find some excellent material online, and work it at your own pace. You may need to work it a few times to feel like you are really getting somewhere. Even though it's over the computer, it can be a very hands on experience, where you feel like you are actually there.

Remember, the competition is stiff. You really need to rise up and stick out to be noticed.

can I nominate this thread for HoF status?

BTW PE-ness... you may want to have your client give the rear of the facility a thourough cleaning... maybe just hose it out real well... this way you wont have to work through all their shit.

I've been wondering if maybe the asshole didn't want you using the rear entry knowing the entry mechanism needed some lubrication. Maybe you could lube it up and that would assuage the asshole's concerns.
Yeah, I think a well greased door would aid in your attempt to access.

Back