Need help with city comments

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, need your help, I am helping out a friend / small time flipper address its city comments. I am having issues touching it as he 

already have an original engineer sign and seal the mechanical plans. His issue is, He's already went back and forth to the city several times since back June addressing their comments but there is always issues and he's tired already and want me to help him out. My dilemma is can I assume the work like redrafting the plans and stamping it on my own to address some of the comments, or do i need the permission of the original engineer? or if i could not reach the original engineer anymore, what other work around can I do to help my friend. let me know please.

Ok, need your help, I am helping out a friend / small time flipper address its city comments. I am having issues touching it as he 

already have an original engineer sign and seal the mechanical plans. His issue is, He's already went back and forth to the city several times since back June addressing their comments but there is always issues and he's tired already and want me to help him out. My dilemma is can I assume the work like redrafting the plans and stamping it on my own to address some of the comments, or do i need the permission of the original engineer? or if i could not reach the original engineer anymore, what other work around can I do to help my friend. let me know please.
Typically the Engineer of Record is the only one who can resubmit plans or correspond with DOB in relation to the project (assuming you are dealing with a DOB). If it is not possible, maybe you could have the owner withdraw the application and you could submit new plans?

I've only been in a similar situation where a client hired a code consultant to work with my boss and I on getting plans approved with FDNY. But we were fully cooperative as the EoR.

Do you two work for the same employer?

Id tell your friend to do  his own work..

If he's getting comments and it's because the original Engineer screwed stuff up, then the original guy should be fixing it anyway.  If the city is just being difficult because they're trying to make themselves seem important, I don't see why you couldn't take over as Engineer but once you start changing stuff and put your stamp on it then it's yours and including anything the first guy did that you're using.

As someone who used to do plan review for a county and then a city, I don't think we cared who stamped stuff, we just checked it to make sure it was right. If someone came in with some plans that were jacked and then resubmitted by someone else, I don't think it mattered who the Engineer was.  Of course, if something was so messed up that someone might be switching midstream, we probably didn't even review it.  We usually got a few pages in and told them we were done reviewing it, they just needed to redo the whole thing.

Latest posts

Back