CA Seismic - CA-Seismic/Survey Exams - Engineer Boards Jump to content
Engineer Boards

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just took the exam last Friday (4/13). I took the Seismic Design course by Hiner and signed up for the EET CBT exams. I won't give any specifics, but Hiner's manual and practice problems, and the EET practice exams were very representative of the actual test. I know EET has a course but I can't speak to it as I didn't take it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2018 at 3:03 PM, engineeringforfun said:

I just took the exam last Friday (4/13). I took the Seismic Design course by Hiner and signed up for the EET CBT exams. I won't give any specifics, but Hiner's manual and practice problems, and the EET practice exams were very representative of the actual test. I know EET has a course but I can't speak to it as I didn't take it.

Engineeringforfun, I'm assuming you took on the new quarterly basis.  How long did it take for you receive your results?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DoRough said:

Engineeringforfun, I'm assuming you took on the new quarterly basis.  How long did it take for you receive your results?

You're correct I took it on the new quarterly basis. I received my results in mid May (5/16). Everyone who took the test in April got them that day. @CAPLS mentioned it before but the goal for the board is to get results back mid-month following the month in which you took the exam. Held true in May, not sure whether results for May testers have gone out yet but i'd expect them this week based on the first month of testing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Dina_Sh said:

Engineeringforfun,

Is there a way to take the EET practice exams without taking the whole course? I just found out I did not pass the seismic exam. I'd already taken an online class and am now just looking for practice exams (CBT ideally).

Thanks

Dina

You can buy the practice exam book here http://www.eetusa.com/books/seismic-textbook it has 3 practice exams that for me were more than sufficient for the actual exam, the course offers only 1 additional practice exam .. I Highly recommend to buy this practice exam https://www.amazon.com/Civil-Practice-Exam-California-Principles/dp/1722837268/ref=asc_df_1722837268/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312202813865&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10338634394333723150&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031921&hvtargid=pla-569810265003&psc=1

Edited by vip-eng
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question I'd like to put out there to the forum, is it possible to ask the board to reassess a test score for the CA Seismic Exam? I answered 42 questions and was pretty sure about a lot of them yet failed the exam. I was wondering if there is any way to gauge whether the test results were actually correct.

 

Thanks

Dina

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dina_Sh said:

Another question I'd like to put out there to the forum, is it possible to ask the board to reassess a test score for the CA Seismic Exam? I answered 42 questions and was pretty sure about a lot of them yet failed the exam. I was wondering if there is any way to gauge whether the test results were actually correct.

 

Thanks

Dina

@CAPLS would definitely has an answer. 

But I would guess there is no-way.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dina_Sh said:

Another question I'd like to put out there to the forum, is it possible to ask the board to reassess a test score for the CA Seismic Exam? I answered 42 questions and was pretty sure about a lot of them yet failed the exam. I was wondering if there is any way to gauge whether the test results were actually correct.

 

Thanks

Dina

What materials did you use to study for seismic? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dina_Sh said:

I took Hiner's course, which I thought was very good.  Didn't do anything beyond that. 

I highly recommend you buy EET practice exams which come with EET cheat sheets that for me are far better than Hiner’s cheat sheet they are priceless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vip-eng said:

Hiner's book with EET practice exam and Civil PE Practice Exam  and you should be good. Did you pass the survey exam? 

@Dina_Sh I'll piggyback off @vip-eng here. Everything VIP has recommended is spot on. I would focus on doing problems as quickly as possible and being quick with locating equations/references. 

To answer one of your earlier questions, i don't believe there's anyway to re-score the exam. Do as many practice problems as you can and i'm sure you'll pass on the next attempt!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Engineeringforfun and VIP. I got the sample exams covered  but are there sample problem books out there that are good?

VIP I only signed up for seismic,  didn't think three months was enough time to study for both tests. I'm taking this quarter to retake seismic, and when I pass I'll sign up for Surveying.  Did you pass your seismic exam? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dina_Sh said:

Thank you Engineeringforfun and VIP. I got the sample exams covered  but are there sample problem books out there that are good?

VIP I only signed up for seismic,  didn't think three months was enough time to study for both tests. I'm taking this quarter to retake seismic, and when I pass I'll sign up for Surveying.  Did you pass your seismic exam? 

I took the seismic two weeks ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dina_Sh said:

Thank you Engineeringforfun and VIP. I got the sample exams covered  but are there sample problem books out there that are good?

VIP I only signed up for seismic,  didn't think three months was enough time to study for both tests. I'm taking this quarter to retake seismic, and when I pass I'll sign up for Surveying.  Did you pass your seismic exam? 

EET has a seismic book and Exams. The book has tons of good practice problems. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, IwantthatPE said:

EET has a seismic book and Exams. The book has tons of good practice problems. 

Totally agreed! When you passed it do you remember roughly what was your score ? would you say 32-35 is enough to pass? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dina_Sh said:

Another question I'd like to put out there to the forum, is it possible to ask the board to reassess a test score for the CA Seismic Exam? I answered 42 questions and was pretty sure about a lot of them yet failed the exam. I was wondering if there is any way to gauge whether the test results were actually correct.

 

Thanks

Dina

California laws do not allow for the review or appeal for these exams.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all,

Since getting licensing is costing me a mini fortune, I was wondering if anyone out there, who recently took the EET Seismic course, is willing to let go of the text book and sample exams? Also an ASCI 7-10 Third edition would be greatly appreciated. 

I'll buy all or any of them of you. 

Thanks

Dina

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...