Worst pain you've experienced

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flew off a cliff and was dynamited by a bunch of 'concerned citizens.'

udden udden

Last edited by a moderator:
Sliced open my skin pretty badly on an iceberg a century or so ago.
I would have thought the gash along your side would have been relatively minor when compared to being snapped in half and spending the next century enduring the crushing pressures at the bottom of the ocean. ;)

Don't know about how it compares to others, but it felt like a tiny nuclear bomb went off inside my foot. It took me a minute or so to even look at it because, as bad as it hurt, I just knew there had to be a bone sticking though the bottom of my shoe.

Don't know about how it compares to others, but it felt like a tiny nuclear bomb went off inside my foot. It took me a minute or so to even look at it because, as bad as it hurt, I just knew there had to be a bone sticking though the bottom of my shoe.
Maybe I'm a little more accustomed to it than most. :dunno:

I rolled my ankles a lot playing soccer as a kid. It got to the point where I didn't even think I could sprain my ankle anymore. I'd roll them often, but I guess I didn't put enough weight on them as I went down to do serious damage. The worst I had ever sprained my ankle was on that job site and my foot/ankle ended up looking pretty much like yours. I'll admit it really really hurt when I did it. I sat on the ground for a while immediately afterward assessing the damage, thinking I was going to the emergency room for sure. It took my co-worker a while to realize I was actually hurt. He was laughing at me falling over at first. After a few minutes the pain subsided and I limped through the rest of the job site.

playing tag at night when I was about 13 I was getting chased and went to cut past my dad's truck but didn't realize he had the trailer hitch still in. caught that right on the knee cap at full speed and split it to the bone. I remember opening my eyes on the driveway and looking down and just seeing bone. It was my parents anniversary and I was staying with my cousins, they had to call my parents to come meet us at the hospital so they could sew it up.

More recently I rolled my ankle pretty bad. Playing football went down in a group collision, heard a pop/snap and by the time I got up and walked over to the bench I could barely get my shoe off. I couldn't extend my foot for about 2 months, took almost 9 before I didn't have any pain and I still don't have full motion flexing it forward. That was about 3 years ago so I'm guessing that I'll never quite get full motion back.

Almost forgot one that may not have been as intense as the root canal, but it sure as hell lasted a lot longer. I had been out of grad school probably 6 months when my L4 vertebra decided to tilt forward more than it should. Doc said that he was teetering on suggesting surgery to fuse adjacent vertebrae together. He ended up giving me some narcotics that didn't do much to numb the pain and told me to stay on the couch / bed flat on my back for the next week. Any time I had to move, cough, etc... it felt as if someone was knifing my spine. And I couldn't do a damn thing about it. Three months of physical therapy after that and I was deemed "ok". I still tweak it from time to time, but definitely more aware of what i can and can't do.

Ditto on the child birth, both times, about 12 hours on drugs to induce labor with the first. Didn't ask for an epidural until about 30 minutes before Tex Jr. was born. Got hooked up, but didn't even have time to get the drugs dripping...Waste of money.

Second worse was two dry sockets after I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed. Like MS, my jaws wouldn't open, and I was also violently ill...I will never drink grape juice again.

nothing compared to childbirth. Last summer playing 3rd in slowpitch softball took a line drive right off the index finger of my throwing hand jammed the front bone into the middle bone, just thought I had a small fracture at the time so I finished the game then wore a splint for 2 weeks. Finally saw a doctor who said I should have come in immediately. Bones healed together so now I can't bend my index finger at the top knuckle.... I'm sure there have been other pains, but that is the most recent...

morning dump after spicy chicken wings is usually pretty painful too

Kidney Stone:

About 5 years ago I had my first (and only) kidney stone. Within 10 minutes I went from feeling fine to being in the fetal position crying. I went to the hospital and they did an MRI. The doctor said the kidney stone was thru the kidney and had to work its way down the ureter (the tube between the kidney and bladder) and sent me home with some percoset's. Sounds easy enough!! Well the kidney stone got stuck on the way to my bladder. My kidney was trying to push so hard that my ureter ruptured and I was leaking urine down into my pelvis.

TALK ABOUT PAINFUL AND BURNING!!!!

I was rushed back to the hospital and had an emergency operation. Well 3 days of peeing blood in the hospital later I was finally set home.

Kidney Stone:

About 5 years ago I had my first (and only) kidney stone. Within 10 minutes I went from feeling fine to being in the fetal position crying. I went to the hospital and they did an MRI. The doctor said the kidney stone was thru the kidney and had to work its way down the ureter (the tube between the kidney and bladder) and sent me home with some percoset's. Sounds easy enough!! Well the kidney stone got stuck on the way to my bladder. My kidney was trying to push so hard that my ureter ruptured and I was leaking urine down into my pelvis.

I was rushed back to the hospital and had an emergency operation. Well 3 days of peeing blood in the hospital later I was finally set home.
That hurts just reading it

Kidney Stone:

That hurts just reading it
My wife had a kidney stone last year. She said it was worse then giving birth.

Back