Worst pain you've experienced

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master slacker

Something awesome.
Reaction score
Being around the hospital over the past week and seeing all the doctors, nurses, patients, and ambulances going in and out of the area, I had the fuel to think of many things. One thought was of the worst pain I have ever experienced. How often have you thought about it?

Without a doubt, the worst pain I have ever had was about 10 years ago. I was in grad school (no health / dental insurance) and had a general tooth cleaning done. My molars have deeper than average pits, so the dentist scraped / cleaned the top, buffed it, and sealed it. All is well until about a week later. That one particular tooth started aching... bad. Over the next few days my jaw got stiff and could only open it about one half inch. Turned out I had an abscessed tooth and needed an emergency root canal. Because of my mouth being unable to open, the doc (different doc) gave me countless injections of muscle relaxers into my jaw from between my cheek and teeth to coax the jaw to relax. A lot of what came after that is hazy, but I ended up having a root canal with no anesthesia.

TL;DR - I had a root canal without anesthesia.

I dropped a 150 pound fan about 6" onto my toe. I thought I'd amputated it. Hurt so bad all I could do was suck in air.

They had to burn a hole in my toe nail to release the blood/pressure beneath the nail.

When I had my thryoid removed, they started chasing some cancerous tissue and lymph nodes. To get at the tissue, they used some kind of pry bar to push my collar bone up and out of the way during surgery. The chest pain was bad, and this was coupled with all the cuts/inflammation in my neck. I could deal with that...

...until I had to sneeze.

All I remember was this unbearable rush of pain the instant before I blacked out. I learned to squeeze a pillow tight to my neck and chest to keep that from happening again if I had to cough or sneeze.

geyser_sum.gif

When I had my thryoid removed, they started chasing some cancerous tissue and lymph nodes. To get at the tissue, they used some kind of pry bar to push my collar bone up and out of the way during surgery. The chest pain was bad, and this was coupled with all the cuts/inflammation in my neck. I could deal with that...

...until I had to sneeze.

All I remember was this unbearable rush of pain the instant before I blacked out. I learned to squeeze a pillow tight to my neck and chest to keep that from happening again if I had to cough or sneeze.
you win.

I've had a root canal go south that was so bad that I had to pull off the road when driving, but not to the point of blacking out.

I do have a good reference when the doc asks where I am on the pain scale though.

Mine is nowhere near those levels, but when I was 12 or 13 I was playing tag with some friends and while trying to get away I thought it was a good idea to jump down a half flight of stairs. Only I didn't make it. Instead, one foot just barely hit the end of the bottom stair and caused my foot to flex all the way around so my heel touched the back of my calf. To top things off, I had to walk a half mile home (we were playing at a house that was under construction) so I could get help. Nothing was broken, but I did end up in a walking boot for several weeks.

1.Childbirth

2. I was carrying a heavy box down the stairs and thought I had reached the last step. Turns out I was one off, rolled my ankle all the way around and then dropped the box on that. I laid at the bottom of the stairs trying not to pass out or puke. Good gosh that hurt.

Hilarious that this gets posted now. Mine was about 5 days ago. Playing basketball. Went for a rebound and came down on the left foot wrong. I don't know how far it twisted, but it was enough that both sides of my foot and my toe knuckles are still purple. I generally take pain pretty good, but I seem to remember a lot of screaming and saying something about wanting my mother. I still don't walk right.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Hilarious that this gets posted now. Mine was about 5 days ago. Playing basketball. Went for a rebound and came down on the left foot wrong. I don't know how far it twisted, but it was enough that both sides of my foot and my toe knuckles are still purple. I generally take pain pretty good, but I seem to remember a lot of screaming and saying something about wanting my mother. I still don't walk right.
Mrs dex did something similar back in college while playing volleyball. She had a full-ride scholarship to play, and halfway through her freshman year she landed on the side of a teammate's foot and rolled it so bad she ended up needing 2 surgeries to put everything back together. Needless to say, she couldn't play volleyball anymore and consequently lost her scholarship...

I had broken my ankle in college playing a smashmouth game of football. I had just had surgery, four pins put in my ankle, and was in a walking boot. It was the middle of winter in Colorado. I was walking back from my car to the dorm, and slipped on the ice. Dislocated my kneecap ON THE SAME LEG as my broken ankle, and the kneecap did not go back in. I had to slam my knee against the parking lot back into place.

That's pretty bad, but I don't think it holds a candle to what other have posted already. I had similar looking bruising when I sprained my ankle on a jobsite a few years ago. Lesson learned, DON'T WALK WHILE LOOKING AT PLANS ON A JOBSITE (i.e. uneven ground). I tripped over a rock, twisted my ankle and went down hard. It hurt like hell, but I soldiered on for the rest of our project walk thru, mostly because I didn't want to have to come back to the jobsite another day. My ankle swelled and turned all sorts of pretty shades of purple, blue and black, much like yours. It took a while to get back to walking right and it upended my training regime for a marathon, but other than that it really didn't think it was all that bad.

I'm trying to remember which ankle it was that I did that to now. The other night I was out for a run and rolled my ankle on an uneven spot in the pavement. The road I was on had just been repaved but they missed a small spot, which I stepped in (it was dark and the area was concealed from the light of a street light by shadow). It's the first time I've ever fallen while on a run. I hit the ground and rolled. Fortunately it was cold so I was wearing long sleeves and gloves which took the brunt of the road rash. I was only a mile from home so I had to limp back to the house. This time I didn't roll the ankle badly enough for any bruising or swelling and within a couple days I was running again, but I wonder if it was the same ankle. When I went back in the light to see the spot that I tripped I really can't see how such a small depression would cause me to go down like that. I must have hit it just right or it's the same ankle as before and it never really healed properly.

I remember accidentally trying to fillet my right middle finger on a piece of flashing. I was dumpster diving in a residential construction site trying to collect 2x4's and various pieces of plywood/particle board (they throw away quite a bit of very usable building materials). I found a relatively long 2x6 that was wedged in the pile and as I was pulling on it, it finally let go and I hit the first knuckle on my right middle finger on the edge of a piece of metal flashing. I hit it pretty hard, but it felt like I had hit a solid surface (like knocking on a door), so I didn't think anything of it. Only when I saw the steady stream of blood dripping from my hand I realized I had f'ed something up. The picture doesn't look so bad, but I could actually flip that flap of skin over and look at the bone/tendons from the knuckle. I ended up with 4 stitches.

463932_628400037173360_1270160788_o.jpg

Freaky fingernails dude. Look like nibbled to the quick (which just gave me a shiver).

Latest posts

Back