Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10lydd.jpg

I'm pretty late on this but finally started playing The Witcher 3 on PS4.  Fantastic game so far.  I keep moving away from the main quest and exploring (walking randomly) which is pretty cool but also gets me in trouble sometimes.  I haven't been able to dedicate as much time  as I want to it but definitely will keep at it.  Can't wait to finish and get the expansion packs!

Looks pretty cool, I may have to pick that one up since I'll be doing a lot of sitting around after the surgery, especially at only $20.

Before I took the PE, I hadn't played any new console games in ages. Told myself I would get a switch after I got my PhD, but I never did. Then I said the same thing about my PE, but then wasn't going to again. Finally my wife had enough of my indecisiveness and bought one for me for Christmas.

For those talking about BotW, damn what a good game. I've been a Zelda fan all my life, and it's got to be my favorite game of all time, hands down. I haven't finished yet, but the difficulty is definitely higher than past games in the series (which has been a breath of fresh air). The cut scenes are awesome as well.  

@saxman1089 I loved playing BotW!  Well, watching my brother play it.  He humored me and let us hunt for frogs for the first three hours of the game...We spent way more time in the first area than we needed to due to me being like, "Recipes?  Like Tales games?  Yes!  Make all the things!"

I fear I've become more of a game watcher than a game player nowadays.  But I can't stand watching streaming videos of people playing because they're always TALKING and COMMENTING and making LAME JOKES.  I just want to watch a playthrough with no talking, just the video game, which is so hard to find.  😰

BotW is amazing.  It's hard at the beginning with the weapons breaking constantly, but you get past that pretty quick.  I finished the DLC sometime in December and got the motorcycle.  So worth it.

I played a bunch of FTL on the ipad over Christmas break since my son had the Switch on use anytime I wanted to play on it.  Old game, but still so good.

Now that I'm back on my PC, I'm playing Subnautica.  

@saxman1089 I loved playing BotW!  Well, watching my brother play it.  He humored me and let us hunt for frogs for the first three hours of the game...We spent way more time in the first area than we needed to due to me being like, "Recipes?  Like Tales games?  Yes!  Make all the things!"

I fear I've become more of a game watcher than a game player nowadays.  But I can't stand watching streaming videos of people playing because they're always TALKING and COMMENTING and making LAME JOKES.  I just want to watch a playthrough with no talking, just the video game, which is so hard to find.  😰
My wife likes to watch me play Red Dead Redemption, and before that watched me play The Last of Us. She really gets into the storyline, but more than anything really enjoys my commentary. Half the time I don't even know I'm talking and it's just random streams of thought as I'm doing missions/tasks.

She missed a big part of my gameplay a couple weeks ago because she was at work while I was at home playing for hours on end and insisted that I at least get her up to speed with the storyline before I went any further. She was pissed when she missed the ending (she fell asleep and I stayed up late).

My wife likes to watch me play Red Dead Redemption, and before that watched me play The Last of Us. She really gets into the storyline, but more than anything really enjoys my commentary. Half the time I don't even know I'm talking and it's just random streams of thought as I'm doing missions/tasks.

She missed a big part of my gameplay a couple weeks ago because she was at work while I was at home playing for hours on end and insisted that I at least get her up to speed with the storyline before I went any further. She was pissed when she missed the ending (she fell asleep and I stayed up late).
For me it's a mix of storyline but also helping out my brother.  We did that a lot when we were little (puppy pile on the bed with me and my siblings and 'helping' by yelling out suggestions on the boss levels) and it's kinda carried over.  Like, I'll play RPGs/JRPGs and he'll watch me grind for hours/supply popcorn, and when he's playing something with more action/not turn based, I'll get him soda and stuff.  We're pretty quiet when playing, mostly so we can read the subtitles/hear the music/not make my dad angry because he's usually teaching upstairs.  I like video games that have a %-complete.  Something we liked when we were little and renting games from Blockbuster.  Mom wouldn't let us return/exchange it if we finished the game in a day until we had 100%.

I think the last game I played was Pokemon?  The hawaiian one?  With the hula battles and stuff.  I don't think I finished it?  Mostly using my spare time after work to do the dishes and sell stuff online (aka; not re-watching The Office, what do you mean, never?).  

I'm pretty late on this but finally started playing The Witcher 3 on PS4.  Fantastic game so far.  I keep moving away from the main quest and exploring (walking randomly) which is pretty cool but also gets me in trouble sometimes.  I haven't been able to dedicate as much time  as I want to it but definitely will keep at it.  Can't wait to finish and get the expansion packs!
OK, so Witcher 3 is one of the best PS4 games I've ever played.  The controls are not as polished as some of the newer titles (God of War, AC), but the diversity of characters, story line, and the side quests are above and beyond anything I've ever played.  Almost none of them are "go kill so and so" or "retrieve X", but rather, are legitimate mini-stories within the game.  Leveling is drastically increased as the game progresses, and at no point does it feel "too RPG-ish", i.e. reliant on potions, etc.  

VERY glad you recommended it, Ram, because it would have been totally off my radar otherwise.  

Glad to hear you're enjoying it @Supe.  I haven't been able to get much playing time in so you're probably very close or ahead of me!  I'm still very guilty of walking around doing side quests rather than the main but that's what makes it so interesting.  Let me know how it goes!

Just finished Super Smash Brothers and started Zelda.  Definitely different than the previous versions I just find myself wondering around mostly looking for things.  Definitely dying faster than usual. My son just watches me play - but he does get mad when I talk to people.

Freezing on a mountaintop

Getting struck by lightning

Glad to hear you're enjoying it @Supe.  I haven't been able to get much playing time in so you're probably very close or ahead of me!  I'm still very guilty of walking around doing side quests rather than the main but that's what makes it so interesting.  Let me know how it goes!
I just finished the main story line, and will be starting the expansion pack missions today.  They start at basically the level you need to complete the main story, so there's no real way to cheat and try to work them in earlier.

Is anyone playing the new Kingdom Hearts?  I really want to start playing this, since I was one of the weirdos who playing almost every game that was released (except for the weird Japan-only cellphone game), but I also know I'll easily get sucked into it and stop doing gym/enjoying things.  I think I'll see if my brother picked up the pre-purchase and I'll pop in every once in a while when he plays...maybe I'll play it once the hype dies down/more reviews come out to say if the 15-year wait was worth it.

I played infamous 2 awhile back and just started the first one infamous. Storyline is better in this one but the gameplay is def better in the second one. I keep switching between rdr2, Witcher 3, Spider-Man and replaying blossbournw. I get way to distracted to stay with one game. But I do need to get into Witcher more I feel everyone seems to love it.

I played infamous 2 awhile back and just started the first one infamous. Storyline is better in this one but the gameplay is def better in the second one. I keep switching between rdr2, Witcher 3, Spider-Man and replaying blossbournw. I get way to distracted to stay with one game. But I do need to get into Witcher more I feel everyone seems to love it.
Once you hit about Level 7/8 in Witcher, it really starts to pick up.

I've been debating whether to play the latest Spiderman.  It got really good reviews if I recall, and should be able to get it used/cheaper now that its been out there a while.  

Once you hit about Level 7/8 in Witcher, it really starts to pick up.

I've been debating whether to play the latest Spiderman.  It got really good reviews if I recall, and should be able to get it used/cheaper now that its been out there a while.  
The new spider-man is really good. It is essentially the similar mechanics and moves to the old game, but with a better story line and obviously updated graphics, smoother, etc. But if you ever reminisce about the old game, this one will make you happy. 

Glad to see there are other BOTW fans here. I've been slow playing it for almost 18 months now (maybe an hour a week). 2 Shrines to go then going fight Ganon. Then probably buying the DLC.

I'm also thinking about loading up XCOM 2 again. I played it a lot and beat it a couple times a few years back. I kinda miss shooting aliens in the face.

Back