***What is your test taking strategy***

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to disagree. It helped my anxiety level to look through the whole test first and see what was ahead of me. Then I could map out my strategy, rather than just plodding though the exam. It felt good to go through, nail the easy ones and then know I had that much time for the harder ones.

The ranking idea will work for some but not others...I would fall into the not helpful category.
I'm going to mentally track the questions as I did on the FE. Take the first 10 minutes to read through the test booklet and make a mental note of which ones to attack first. No need to physically rank them (for me, at least). What I'm learning about the PE is that EVERYONE has different study, preparation, and test taking strategies.

I passed after 2 attempts a year ago, a buddy of mine is taking this Oct. Test which reminded me about this site. I STALKED the hell out of engineerboards.com and it helped a lot so I figured I'd login one more time and give the best advice I could.

In the afternoon trans. Test, do the 'Other Topics' section First! There will be about 10 of them and both of my tests had them at the end grouped together. These problems are an easy 10 dealing with hydraulics, hydrology etc. Trust me, do them first. I made mistake on my first attempt and just got to these problems with 15 min. Left and it screwed me. You will find many problems taking longer than you thought. This worked for me and I think it would work for most people. After nailing 10 at the start you will also get a nice confidence booster. Also, all of this is assuming you put your time in doing a LOT of problems from the recommended sources beforehand. IMO you will have very little chance of passing unless you actually do tons of practice Problems. Good luck Future PE's!

Latest posts

Back