What is the best references for CA Seismic and Survey

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakheat

Reaction score
What is the best references for CA Seismic and Survey? share us your experince!!

I personally just got the new book from PPI - California Civil Surveying Reference Manual.  No reviews on it yet, but looking it over it seems very thorough. Formatting is the same as the CERM.

And then Seismic Design of Building Structures 11th ed. Written by Lindeburg and same formatting as CERM. 

Curious what other people say?

Hiener for Seismic and Mallahati for Surveying and Lindburg for PE. I passed all 3 first cycle
This! Though I liked the PE binders more than the CERM for the PE exam. But for surveying and seismic, this is spot on compared to what I used.

I bought Hiner's workbook and just passed first try.  It was spot on.  He has hundreds of multiple choice practice problems that are very representative of the test.  I only used his book during the test.  Highly recommend.

This is my second time and I passed the survey and Seismic. First time I self studied Hiner notes and did Mansour. However I did not nearly have enough time to study as I should have!

Thus second time I devoted my heart and soul into studying for these two. I signed up for EET Seismic course (excellent notes and cheat sheet by Dr. Ibrahim!). I took three months to study every day after work and on weekends. I did all practice problems twice (there are like 300+) and his four simulated exams including those CBT style ones were a life saver. I was able to practice time management. I was going to do more problems at the end with Hiner and that one book by...Bajaldar(sp?). Only did a handful of those cause I ran out of time, but it didn't matter bc the problems from EET was better matched to the level of difficulty and type of problems on the exam. I knew going in that there would be at least 9-10 that I don't recognize and wouldn't have enough time to thoughtfully solve out. So I focused my time on the ones that were the easiest and almost 80% of the test I felt like was covered in some form in EET. Cheat sheet they provide is insanely helpful. 

Surveying. I took EET course for surveying and I thought it was average. The cheat sheets were terrible and the layout was inconsistent. However, combined EET with studying ALL problems in Reza Mahallati's book, Mansour, and a few from Cuomo and the Board's LS workbook, I felt like I was prepared enough. Seemed like EET covered things the other material didn't and vice versa. I didn't feel super confident during the test but I was able to narrow it down to 10-15 educated guesses. 

The tests are doable if you're smart about doing easy problems first and then saving hard or medium problems to the end. I never did this before until now and it helped me pass. If I can pass...I seriously think anyone could! 

Back