What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha, indeed. Right now either Intel or AMD is a solid choice. The new AMD Ryzen line (now 2nd gen) of CPUs really give Intel a run for the money and very competitively priced compared to Intel. For Intel, you'll pay a little more but certain can't go wrong with the latest 8th generation product line. Really depends on what you are looking for in terms of features on a motherboard. 
Thanks. In your mighty O, which AMD compares best with the 8th gen i7?

Thanks. In your mighty O, which AMD compares best with the 8th gen i7?
Obviously this will depend on CPU clock speed, but AMD was smart in their latest CPU naming convention such that it generally aligns with Intel's Core offering. In other words, Ryzen 7 = i7, Ryzen 5 = i5, etc. The latest 2nd gen. Ryzen CPUs should be version 2xxx I believe.

@knight1fox3 My son has an urgent need for a laptop so I'll likely grab on at BestBuy this weekend.

this is the minimum specs for what he was told to get:

laptop-spec.jpg

Looks like BB has about 50 choices for $150 to $500 for something that'll meet this (it's pretty basic).  Any guidance on features/brands to lean towards? What about cheap printers?

Thanks

@knight1fox3 My son has an urgent need for a laptop so I'll likely grab on at BestBuy this weekend.

this is the minimum specs for what he was told to get:

Looks like BB has about 50 choices for $150 to $500 for something that'll meet this (it's pretty basic).  Any guidance on features/brands to lean towards? What about cheap printers?

Thanks
Responded to this via PM. Sorry for the delay. Still acclimating myself back to "reality". LOL

Time to upgrade the primary KFOX wireless network! The old Linksys router I have now is still functional, but I can tell it's starting to show its age. It was one of the first dual-band routers on the market and as a result, was close to $300 when I purchased it in 2009. Not a bad 10-yr investment with all the PC-related things we do for home entertainment and also the computer business.

Following a similar "latest & greatest" trend, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) routers are just beginning to surface on the market. So I elected to go with the ASUS model below for some level of future-proofing even though there really aren't any Wi-Fi 6 clients out yet. And at $350, this hardware should be able to easily achieve maximum performance. :thumbs:

Specs at a glance:

Wi-Fi standard

AX6000 (Up to 4333 Mbps on 5GHz, up to 1148 Mbps on 2.4GHz)

Processor

1.8 GHz quad-core processor

Memory

256 MB Flash memory, 1GB of DDR 3 RAM

MU-MIMO

Yes

AiMesh support

Yes

Dimensions

11.8 x 7.4 x 2.4 inches (30 x 18.8 x 6.04 cm)

Weight

2.1 lbs (945 g)

Ports

Two USB 3.1 (Gen 1), One Gigabit WAN port, Eight Gigabit LAN ports

Dual-WAN

Yes

Link Aggregation

Yes

Prominent features

Adaptive QoS, Ai Protection, WTFast Gamers VPN, Media Server, and more.

P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

This was the other ASUS model I was also considering but it only supported the Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) standard.

asus-rt-ac5300-11-920x518.jpg

Just upgraded from WinXP to Win7 for Ifix view nodes.  BAHHHHHHHHHHH

Might look into the Rockwell SCADA View node machines - whatcha say bout that
LOL, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Depends on which SCADA displays you are looking at. Some of the new VersaView PCs now support dual 4K displays! :thumbs:

Interesting! We still use Windows 7 at work. But I can't imagine the principal who is in charge of IT would be comfortable staying with it once they stop the security updates.

LOL, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Depends on which SCADA displays you are looking at. Some of the new VersaView PCs now support dual 4K displays! :thumbs:
The versaview is what we took a look at.

Well - We run 1024 x 768 resolution.  (2) 22" monitors and (2) 42" monitors.  I changed the resolution once and the operators begun filing grievances. 

Finally ordered a new Android phone.  Once Google announced the Pixel 3A, I pulled the trigger.  I basically only use my personal phone for calls,  Facebook, Gmail, Pandora, light Instagram, Google Maps, and Android Auto.  So when they came out with a <6" phone with no bloatware, a decent mid-range processor, and one of the best cameras you can get in a phone at any price for $400, I was sold.  Hopefully it holds up well.  I still have friends using an original Pixel which are now 6 years old.

AWESOME!

I'm still waiting for my Pixel 2 to die until I move on.

Good to have another person in the Pixel family.

Cough @leggo PE, cough.

Back