What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was between that and waiting to see what would happen with the OneTouch 7 release, but the rumors have it as still being a $700+ dollar phone which I have zero interest in.  I'm sure the Galaxy is still a good phone, but I've about sworn off Samsung altogether at this point for ALL of their electronics after dealing with shitty TV's, dishwashers, refrigerators, etc.

I still have my Pixel 2, and am still annoyed with it, haha.

I wish I still had my original Pixel! **** Lyft driver!!

soo

how do you get around dropbox file space? like, I haven't uploaded anything on my work email associated one, just use it to see what other clients share, and it's almost full...and company isn't going to pay to upgrade. 

I just keep a 1 TB drive with me for stuff so I don't have to keep lots of stuff on dropbox - not the most efficient but it works well..

I haven't seen @knight1fox3 here in a while, but maybe he can stop by and lend some knowledge.  My wife is looking to go back to school and our existing laptop just isn't going to cut it long term.  I'm not looking to spend a ton (< $600), however I really want something that will not only do the basic school stuff (any ole laptop can fit this bill), but I'd like it to be usable for years to come.  We don't run any resource-hungry programs aside from chrome and such.  And I'd like to have the option to dual-boot with Ubuntu.  I think AMD's now can run 64-bit Ubuntu trouble free (?).

Do not want - Chrome book, Windows 10 S

I'm looking at the Asus Vivobook 15 variants and $600 may even be overkill.  I'm just too far removed from the computer game to know the good stuff from the bad anymore. 😕 

IMO, there is just nothing "futureproof" in that price range anymore, @Master slacker.  Either it has decent specs and junk build quality or vice versa.  

I ended up getting this for my daughter: https://www.bjs.com/product/hp-15-dy1076nr-laptop-10th-generation-intel-core-i5-1035g1-processor-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-intel-uhd-graphics/3000000000001871751

Decent memory, decent processor, and very quick courtesy of the SSD.  I opted for the 3 year protection plan in case she does something stupid with it.  It definitely feels cheap (keyboard, etc.), but she's had no issues with it yet.  I figure it was worth it if it makes it a full three years.  

We currently use our existing laptop very little.  It's actually a laptop used in highschool and we've had it about three years (running Windows 7).  My desktop is used the most at, like, a few hours per month - budget spreadsheet, pictures - and it runs Ubuntu 16.04.  I built it five years ago and is still more than adequate.  Wife really just wants the ability to use itunes and I'd like to run H&R Block tax software.  Can't do either of those with Linux.

I haven't seen @knight1fox3 here in a while, but maybe he can stop by and lend some knowledge.  My wife is looking to go back to school and our existing laptop just isn't going to cut it long term.  I'm not looking to spend a ton (< $600), however I really want something that will not only do the basic school stuff (any ole laptop can fit this bill), but I'd like it to be usable for years to come.  We don't run any resource-hungry programs aside from chrome and such.  And I'd like to have the option to dual-boot with Ubuntu.  I think AMD's now can run 64-bit Ubuntu trouble free (?).

Do not want - Chrome book, Windows 10 S

I'm looking at the Asus Vivobook 15 variants and $600 may even be overkill.  I'm just too far removed from the computer game to know the good stuff from the bad anymore. 😕 
He said he got a real job and doesnt have time for us no more..

FWIW the wife & daughter each bought the  $1000 Macintosh apple notebook laptop thing from Costco and they really love it - daughter is in college and wife is making tik tok vidoes with hers, and maybe paying bills??

I've bought new laptops the last 4 years. I wouldn't go with anything less than an i7 processor and SSD. IME, Dell.com has had the best prices of any location from which folks seem inclined to look to buy them, although the last one I got was from Costco, because Dell didn't have the particular model available on their site directly. I haven't really found them for under $800 tho, so I think your expectations might be a bit low.

ETA: wait are you saying you DONT want windows 10?

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, if you DO find a good deal, it's rarely in stock.  Tons of people bought laptops for their kids to finish out the school year, and a bunch plan to homeschool in the fall, so pickins are slim.

I am likely in the market for a PC laptop that has a Mini DisplayPort port (to connect to a second monitor), has an okay video camera and okay sound, and can be used to login to TeamViewer to work for 8-12 hours a day. I don’t plan on storing anything on it, and would like decent processing speed. Any recommendations for $500 or less?

So are you using your laptop in conjunction with two external monitors, or do you just need one monitor and the laptop screen? Just asking, because there are a few ways to accomplish this that doesn't require a displayport.

Back