What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus they have all kinds of cool shit - We actually rarely buy food from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only fill up on gas about 1x a month, maybe.... And would have to drive a fair amount out of my way to get to a Costco to fill 'er up, vs. the gas station one block away from me. City livin'! Better to just use a relative's and still get the discount on the TV.

And we really don't need more stuff, if anything, trying to get rid of stuff... And also have a wedding coming up, with a yet-to-be-decided upon registry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see the Costco membership making more sense whenever we decide to move out of the city, but that's at least a few years out from now. Gotta get that S.E. license first, or find a really good deal on a home (hah! Like that's ever gonna happen).

It’s weird we rarely buy food there - Kroger is actually cheaper in this area but sometimes we’ll buy some steaks and large seafood stuff for freezer -

We actually buy a fair amount of clothes - we’ll I buy the dad clothes;)

And sometimes I just hang out and enjoy there 1.00 strawberry sundae’s..

I don't think we'd want much bigger than 48"
You'd be surprised.  We have a 55" downstairs and sit about the same distance away.  I'm trying to convince myself to go buy a 65" since this TV has one dead pixel in it that only I have ever noticed.

You'd be surprised.  We have a 55" downstairs and sit about the same distance away.  I'm trying to convince myself to go buy a 65" since this TV has one dead pixel in it that only I have ever noticed.
65" OLED or bust!  :thumbs:

Yes, yes it is. It's difficult to describe the picture quality in words without seeing it for yourself. It's pretty amazing.
The only place I've seen one in person is at Sam's Club, and it's too bright in there to get a feel for how anything looks.  I may pull the trigger on one.  Been thinking about it for 2 years now.

Do you have an OLED?  I really want one of the LG 65" ones, but is it really worth 3x the price of a nice 65" LED backlit LCD?  
I don't have one, but from seeing them side-by-side in stores, I personally don't think they are worth the price differential. The mid to higher range LEDs seem to get you 95 percent of the picture quality. My Samsung, on a good quality 4k disk, looks just as good as the store demos of OLED.

That being said, I understand the principle behind it and it SHOULD produce a better quality image. I will personally wait until they drop in price. 

I got a pretty good deal on one from Amazon, so I have the 65" C8 being delivered on Wednesday.  The deal I got was basically MSRP, but it included a mount, a few HDMI cables, and some other junk that I probably won't use.  But when I went to checkout, there was a 15% discount on the whole package (so I saved nearly $450).  I offset some of the cost with Amazon gift cards and the rewards balance on my credit card.  Then I put the rest on that card, so I'll get another 5% back in gift cards.  All told, I'm probably in for the cost of a top-of-the-line LCD.

I got a pretty good deal on one from Amazon, so I have the 65" C8 being delivered on Wednesday.  The deal I got was basically MSRP, but it included a mount, a few HDMI cables, and some other junk that I probably won't use.  But when I went to checkout, there was a 15% discount on the whole package (so I saved nearly $450).  I offset some of the cost with Amazon gift cards and the rewards balance on my credit card.  Then I put the rest on that card, so I'll get another 5% back in gift cards.  All told, I'm probably in for the cost of a top-of-the-line LCD.
But did you use the EB.com Amazon link for the purchase? :thumbs:

not based on my recent reporting :(

but its all good, I order shit myself and forget to click the link!  Amazon is doing away with the small time referrers after this year, sort of sucks but I guess they figure they don't need the little guy anymore...

Yes, yes it is. It's difficult to describe the picture quality in words without seeing it for yourself. It's pretty amazing.
Just got my new TV up and running, and holy shit.  Right off the bat, the thing you notice the most is the striking blacks.  After having looked at grayish, washed-out black on TV for so long, this thing is insane.  The first thing that popped up after the initial configuration was the local news.  The weather guy was wearing a black suit, and it looked like he was wearing a black hole.  The complete absence of light.

The sound isn't nearly as good as my old Samsung.  Definitely going to have to get a sound bar (my home theater setup is in the basement with my projector).  I don't need great sound on this TV, but the sound on this TV is pretty bad.

@knight1fox3

I have an Asus RT-N66U router. I need to block https://youtube.com. The built in firewall for this router can't block "https." Any suggestions to accomplish this without the need to be smart? Do newer router allow you to block https sites without jumping through hoops?  

@knight1fox3

I have an Asus RT-N66U router. I need to block https://youtube.com. The built in firewall for this router can't block "https." Any suggestions to accomplish this without the need to be smart? Do newer router allow you to block https sites without jumping through hoops?  
I don't think it can be done without a service like OpenDNS which can block domains using their DNS servers.

@Supe

Have you had to block access to sites for your 11y/o daughter yet? 

We caught my 11y/o watching youtube instead of doing homework last night. She says she's not addicted, but acts like an angry crackhead when you take the computer away. So there's no more youtube until she can earn back our trust. 

I will look into OpenDNS and see if I can understand it. 

edit:

Parents: No more youtube

Daughter: 
rage.gif

Parents: For watching youtube and lying about it. 

Daughter: 
762921.gif

Parents: 
SadPertinentAiredale-small.gif

Daughter: 
tumblr_neeujmwBV51t407a6o1_500.gif

Nope.  We only have one computer, and she only uses it for homework.  She does her homework right when she gets home from school, and if she's being lazy, I just take her cell phone away.  

She does her homework right when she gets home from school, and if she's being lazy, I just take her cell phone away.  
That's what we're trying to do, but she gets home from school before I get home from work. She's home alone for about an hour with unsupervised access to electronic devises. 

Does she need the computer to do her homework?  You should be able to shut down all network traffic during a certain time.  Otherwise, you should be able to user browser extensions to block specific websites.  

Latest posts

Back