What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One can't really deny that the Mac GUI interface was mass-markets before Microsoft switched.  Back then a GUI made it seem like a toy (for example the trash can icon, etc.) as opposed to a business machine and you needed to know the DOS commands and format to make things work.  As people became dumber, I mean to reduce the learning curve and make computers more common place the  GUI took over and Win95 was a major break through.

Any dope can point and click, which is why there are so many dopes online these days.  Hmmmm maybe win95 wa a major break through in promoting the dumbing down of america and idiocracy

tumblr_inline_mp0edkO6gP1qz4rgp.gif

I need some advice: while unpacking all my personal belongings and organizing my new house, I finally came to the conclusion that I need to transfer all my CD collection to digital storage, and set up some sort of streaming/jukebox type system that I can access wirelessly from my main home theater system, as well as from other devices around the house.

What would you recommend for this?  I am thinking some sort of network drive, but beyond that I have no idea where to start, which programs to use (iTunes?) etc.

Actually, digging a little further, it looks like all I'd need to do is attach an external hard drive to my new Asus RT-AC3200, rip all my music to there, and then use any iTunes device (for example the Apple TV I already own) to access the music. Accordign to this review of the router, it does pretty well as a NAS server:

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]When coupled with a portable drive, the RT-AC3200 didn't blow me away with performance averaging slightly less than 30MBps via a Gigabit connection. This is [not?] by any means slow, but compared to other routers with the same feature it wasn't near the fastest either. Nonetheless, at this speed, the router can work well as a home NAS server, with enough bandwidth for media streaming as well as file sharing and backup. In fact, it's much faster than Apple's Time Machine. [/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually use a stand-alone NAS server (QNAP) that runs a version of Linux and then I have various mapped shares (downloads, music, videos, etc.) to that accessible across my entire network.  But routers today have much more processing power than they used to so they can likely handle the additional work load of managing a shared drive. And if it connects over USB 3.0 or eSATA, transfer rates hopefully won't be bottlenecked for you.

The router has a USB 3.0 port just for that purpose.  Once I have everything stored there, I suppose I would be free to access it using whatever software or device I want, right?  Assuming I rip everything in a compatible format - I was thinking AIFF, to have the best possible quality.  iTunes automatically down-scales it when loading a portable device, depending on settings.

What do you use to access music and movies on your network?  

It depends on the device itself and what the corresponding interface supports.  In general, newer "smart" devices typically support Windows Networking (i.e. SMBs or server message blocks).  For instance, my Samsung Smart TV supports WN such that a shared drive on the same network will be detected and I can browse it like I would a regular Windows directory.  Provided the file formats are recognized by the TV itself (i.e. MP3 for music; MKV/MPEG-4 for HD video content).  For DRM content (i.e. copyrighted stuff), network connected devices also tend to support a DLNA media server (not sure if your router supports this).  This is probably the easiest option and doesn't require a lot of configuration on the back-end.  So long as the DLNA media server is on the same subnet as the device accessing it, connection should be seamless.  For our bedroom, the TV in there isn't of the "smart" variety so I picked up a Roku for that which also supports DLNA and can see my NAS shared locations.  I can also access my NAS from outside my network if I really wish to and absolutely need something from home.  But then again I can also remotely power on any of my PCs using wake-on-LAN. :thumbs:

:Chris:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did my ASUS router randomly reset to factory default?

I wanted to know what you say, not what they say.
I do not have sufficient technical information (i.e. operating environment, custom settings vs. factory settings, F/W status, security, etc.) to make any sort of informed response(s) other than just speculation.

I will say that a device (not just routers) should never revert to factory default settings on their own unless user-initiated or configured that way as a security measure to prevent unauthorized access/theft.  In addition, as far as routers go, the old misnomer "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" holds true here.  I generally don't perform F/W updates unless I'm looking to gain access to a new feature and/or fix a particular bug that I myself am experiencing.  If it's working well, there's generally no good reason to update the F/W.

Back