Virginia results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The process that I used to monitor the DPOR website for new licenses was to enter a *, (wildcard), for the Name on the license lookup webpage and check the Professional Engineers box. On Tuesday night, it would return, "Your search returned more than 3000 records." Below this statement, it would say that there was 28,159 records found. If you perform the same procedure now, it says there are 28,346 records found. I am assuming that this difference, 187 new records, is the number of licenses added since Tuesday night. If when you checked, there were only 90-100 new licenses added, maybe they are adding names in smaller batches rather than all at once.

I hadn't thought of searching like that, I was just looking at the tallys of license numbers... If 187 records were added, that makes sense that all of them are up. Thanks for the info!

So I got my letter saying I passed in the mail today! How'd everybody do score wise? I got a 78...
I got a 72!!! I can't believe it. I got a 73 on the FE and a 72 on the PE (thermal fluids depth). I thought we weren't going to get our scores?

What do you understand by the statement "as a result of achieving a passing score of 85 on the professional engineer examination ..... " on the letter sent to you.

I believe this is the passing score, and this is not the actual score that an examinee secured in the exam.

Most importantly, I want to know: "Does this 85 mean 85% of the answers were correct?" I don't think so. Is there anyway to guess the number of correct answers you might have answered correctly in order to secure such passing score.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you understand by the statement "as a result of achieving a passing score of 85 on the professional engineer examination ..... " on the letter sent to you.
I believe this is the passing score, and this is not the actual score that an examinee secured in the exam.

Most importantly, I want to know: "Does this 85 mean 85% of the answers were correct?" I don't think so. Is there anyway to guess the number of correct answers you might have answered correctly in order to secure such passing score.

Thanks.
My letter listed a different score than yours, so I believe that the score in the letter is the score secured by the examinee. That doesn’t necessarily mean that you got 85% correct. The actual percent correct could be more or less than 85% based on how they rescaled the test once the cut score was determined. It’s probably close to what you actually got though.

I've been really curious about this too. For some sick reason I'm not just satisfied by a passing score... I want to know what I missed and what got thrown out. However, I suppose there are legal benefits of this not being published.

Both you and I received scores that could translate into a whole number (i.e. 85% x 80 = 68, 95% x 80 = 76), but the previously reported 72 and 78 don't work out that way, so it can't be a percentage of the problems.

Anyway, congrats to all those who passed this time. For all those who get another opportunity, best of luck... several engineers in my firm who are much smarter than I am took advantage of multiple attempts. Thanks to everyone for your involvement in this board, your input, and your general support.

Back