Using PE but paretheses another state

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WE WERE THE MULVANEYS

Reaction score
Does this appear tacky or would some wonder what are his shortcomings that he is not licensed where he works.

should I do this now or wait for comity. massachusetts huge pain on the but Even after I met all qualifications . Tired of waiting to show that I am a pe

any advice???

Some state regulations prohibit marketing engineering services if you are not licensed in the state.  So for example, if you just put PE after your name and your office is in MA, but  your registration is in another state and you're not registered in MA, the board considers that practicing engineering without a license.  I work for a larger engineering firm in MA and it is our company policy to put PE on business cards followed by the state of licensure in parenthesis.  If the person is registered in multiple states they get listed like PE (MA, CT, ME) or PE (MA, CT, ME, NY, and 6 others).  1) It does not appear tacky and 2) There is no doubt on the business card about your registrations.  A caveat is that if your project is in MA and you're not registered in MA then you cannot be listed as the engineer of record for the project and need to have someone registered in MA as the responsible person.  Your stamp from another state does not qualify you to be responsible for work requiring a PE stamp in MA.

Hope that helps.

An older bump, but make sure you check the specific regulations for each state you hold a license in. Some states, like New Jersey, wants "Professional Engineer" spelled out and you are also supposed to list your license number on all marketing,  including business cards. You may want to use the rear of the card to list all numbers if you need more space.

At my firm a few guys use John Doe *PE and then at the bottom of the card or email they add - *Licensed in the State of Texas, Arkansas, ect...-

I haven't had the need personally but I haven't heard of any issues from it. 

What if you were talking about a resume instead of a business card? As in, in am trying to relocate to New Hampshire but a PE in New Mexico?

I can understand how a business card could be considered "practicing", but IMHO a resume isn't "practicing". I also prefer to not piss off any state boards...

On a resume at the top I'd have My Name, PE

Then I have a section for licenses and I list all states I'm licensed in and my license number for that state

If I was trying to relocate I'd make sure that I could get licensed in the state I'm moving to then in my cover letter just make mention that I've already verified the requirements and am able to practice engineering in that state

Back