PA License Requirements/Comity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:


New member
Jul 11, 2022
Reaction score
So I went to school and passed the FE exam in Delaware, and I've been working as an engineer in Pennsylvania ever since. As far as I can tell, in Delaware, you just become an "Engineer in Training" by passing the FE. In PA though, you need to apply for an EIT certificate and it appears your engineering work experience only counts toward the four year PE requirement after you receive that certification. I'm unfortunately learning about this certification 8 years too late. I'm getting the EIT cert now, but does anyone know if there's any leniency to the post-EIT work experience requirement in PA?

My other thought was to get my PE license in Delaware, and then apply for reciprocity/comity in PA. Does anyone know how that goes or if that's an easier route?

I'd really rather not have to wait another 4 years to get my PE.

Reverse Polish

Well-known member
Dec 19, 2019
Reaction score
North Coast
You'd have to ask the Pennsylvania Board for clarification. Pennsylvania isn't going to issue you an EIT certificate for an exam you passed in another state. On the other hand, Pennsylvania can't force Delaware to institute EIT certification either.

For what it's worth, I passed the FE exam in a state (Michigan) that does not have EIT certification, and had no problem obtaining a Pennsylvania PE license via comity.