Update From Australia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy T.

Reaction score
Hello All!

After a long and fruitless search for work (civil engineering) in the states, we packed up and moved to the land down under 3 months ago after having got our visa. (benbo, this is for you)

The long and short of it. After sending out hundreds of resumes for civil engineering work in Australia - nothing! My civil engineering career is officially over...

HOWEVER, having a masters degree in systems engineering and 8 years experience in said field (a second career before civil engineering) I landed a gig as IT Manager of a mid-size brokerage firm - salary $130k + bonus. About $40k more than any civil engineering position I was applying for.

Well, so, life has it's twists and turns. Would never have gotten this opportunity in the states (as I had been out of IT for 5 years) - and thrilled to FINALLY be out of civil engineering once and for all. I can now say i truly love what I do.

I will freely admit now that civil engineering was not for me. It is a noble profession and GOD bless those who are committed to it. I was absolutely not. I hated it. I am thrilled to be out. I hated the politics - here, there everywhere. I am all about money. Civil Engineering is a public service field. I just don't have that impulse in me. I am far too selfish

Got to do what makes you happy, I think that really comes out in interviews and even resumes.

So, I got my VISA (permanent resident) because I was a licensed civil engineer - got to be greatful for that. but never want to work in the field again.

My $0.04 AUD

After a long and fruitless search for work (civil engineering) in the states, we packed up and moved to the land down under 3 months ago after having got our visa. (benbo, this is for you)
Good Grief. What has it been? Six months and you come back here and specifically address me with a post? Sorry to tell you, but I had completely forgotten about you until now.

But then, I suspect I'm much more memorable than you are.

Roy T sent this picture from his new job.

3804343506_44f922077e_o.jpg

Back