Unsolicited Advice/Warnings

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

roadmonkey

All right, how many people out there got unsolicited advice from people in your office, old class-mates, or some guy off the street?

As I was preparing I recieved lots of comments from just about anyone who knew I was taking the exam. Most of them are PE's but some weren't. I'll run down some of my favorites:

1. I thought it was extremely easy.
  2. They won't ask anything about traffic volumes.
  3. I got somewhere in the 90's.
  4. I couldn't understand why everybody was freaking out, I only studied a month.
  5. The table was only 6 inches deep.
  6. You aren't studying yet? There's only 5 months left.
  7. I never used the Review Manual.
  8. You better check with NCEES, I thought they banned anything by Lindeburg.

All right, how many people out there got unsolicited advice from people in your office, old class-mates, or some guy off the street?
As I was preparing I recieved lots of comments from just about anyone who knew I was taking the exam. Most of them are PE's but some weren't. I'll run down some of my favorites:

1. I thought it was extremely easy.
  2. They won't ask anything about traffic volumes.
  3. I got somewhere in the 90's.
  4. I couldn't understand why everybody was freaking out, I only studied a month.
  5. The table was only 6 inches deep.
  6. You aren't studying yet? There's only 5 months left.
  7. I never used the Review Manual.
  8. You better check with NCEES, I thought they banned anything by Lindeburg.

My favorite was "All you'll need is the CERM"

Also, from some guy who got his PE in the 60's : "I had to wait in the snow outside to take my exam, and all they gave us was a pencil, paper and I brought my slide rule"

Slide rule my arse...

I hated the "I'm sure you'll do fine" or "I'm sure you aced it"

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, for every person who said all you need is the CERM there was another person who said to bring every book you own.

I just finished my MBA, so I heard a lot of "You have a masters degree; you'll ace the PE!" Yeah, except that the PE had nothing to do with the MBA. Sigh.

I also didn't like when people made me think they passed the first time...it wasn't until much closer to the exam that the repeat takers came out of the woodwork. That made me feel better going in for my first time.

When I took off the week of the PE (I wanted to finish organizing, plus I had to drive to FL), my boss told me this story at least 15 times:

"Why are you taking off for so long? When I took my PE, I worked until 8 oclock, drove to the testing site at 11 oclock, got up the next morning to watch the shuttle launch and then took my exam."

Ugh! :blink:

Guys, I am already licensed. At the point when I was preparing for my last test I received the following 'brilliant' tips:

1. Hurry up! As soon as you get your license, your pay check will grow up dramatically!

- Not true. I received some bonus from my boss, but generally nobody's after me with more money. You still have to work hard to prove you are valuable to your employer and market yourself as much as you can.

2. It will open new doors for you!

-True to some extend. Letters 'PE' on your business card indeed impress some people and add them trust in your professionalism and personal honesty. When I negotiate with suppliers they know that I am a PE and adhere to high professional guidelines. Thus I win their trust and obtain better deals for my employer. It saves money to my employer and simplifies risk management for my suppliers who know I won't mistreat them.

3. Well, it is quite easy to get licensed. Even my girlfriend...

-Not true. If you are so smart, show me YOUR license!

4. PE license is more important then MSc or MBA degrees

-Not true, depens on the company. In some companies business skills are of more importance than engineering skills and MBA brings in more money than the PE license, with similar responsibilities. Personally I do believe that MBA is a waste of time, but I saw people who made careers out of MBA's - so, they must be right, not me

5. If you study hard, you will pass easily your PE tests

-Not true. You have to be AN ENGINEER, not a recording device in order to pass. You need to 'feel it in your blood - then you really, really love' your profession and deserve it. I don't believe if you did not give away all the strength of your heart and soal on this test, you deserve to call yourself an engineer... Well, maybe it is only me. All my life in engineering... Amen

My favorite advice was from my boss:

"Don't worry if you pass, The world needs ditch diggers too."

- Don't have my results yet, so shovel is standing by.

My favorite advice was from my boss:"Don't worry if you pass, The world needs ditch diggers too."

- Don't have my results yet, so shovel is standing by.
For the record, I made that quote my personal statement a full day or two BEFORE this post.

I tried to upload the picture of Judge Smails but was told an 8.2KB .jpg (under 150x150) was too large....

For the record, I made that quote my personal statement a full day or two BEFORE this post.
I tried to upload the picture of Judge Smails but was told an 8.2KB .jpg (under 150x150) was too large....
Sorry to infringe! Hopefully there will be enough trenches for the both of us.

Sorry to infringe! Hopefully there will be enough trenches for the both of us.
You're already in with the civil guys so I imagine you're all set - us structural guys may have to scramble a little. I've pissed off too many foundation guys locally so I may be blacklisted.

While I was studying, I did the entire the PPI 101 Solved Environmental Problems book. Occasionally, the problems would need you to assume a value. I remember one was an problem regarding I&I in a sewer.

I assumed the value I would in the real world, and get the problem wrong because their assumed value differed from mine. This got me nervous.

I had a coworker tell me: "Just state your assumption is in accordance with the standard wastewater standards in your test book. Maybe they'll give you partial credit." :brickwall:

My previous supervisor took the exam back in the mid-1960s. :eek:ldtimer:

Upon learning about the new format, his response was"

Multiple choice? How hard can that be??!! Even a monkey has a shot at passing that exam with enough tries.
:Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

JR

I loved it when my boss first told me about the Structural I exam. He said "don't worry about it, you won't even need to calculate a fillet weld size."

Halfway in the exam, I had to calculate my first weld. :suicide1:

My previous supervisor took the exam back in the mid-1960s. :eek:ldtimer:
Upon learning about the new format, his response was"

:Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

JR
It depends. Did the monkey graduate from an ABET approved institution? Does the monkey have the requisite experience. If the monkey can meet the requirements to sit for the exam, he might be able to pass given enough tries.

We have 1 PE (also Industrial) that works in my directorate at work. His advice was to read the review exam and then be prepared to learn a lot when you get into the test. Quite helpful advice indeed. ::eyeroll face::

several people told me that "most everything" was in the CERM, which I personally found to be most untrue.n Not knocking lindeburg, its a great study reference but I didnt find it all that helpful on the exam.

My favorite advice was this:

Make sure you put B,D,B,D,B,D for all the answers you do not know. That's what I did on the EI and PE and passed them both on the first try.

I don't think anybody gave me any advice. But, I did get some advice from a contractor to quit making excuses and just apply and take the damn test, after I made excuses about how long out of school I was, how I have little kids so it's impossible for me to study, etc. etc.

I have thanked him several times for doing that.

I don't think anybody gave me any advice. But, I did get some advice from a contractor to quit making excuses and just apply and take the damn test, after I made excuses about how long out of school I was, how I have little kids so it's impossible for me to study, etc. etc.
I have thanked him several times for doing that.
Before my office moved, the old electrical guy told me the same thing. He nagged me into submitting my application... and I am very glad he did!

Back