underwear bomber

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I know its not a funny matter, crazy people trying to kill us and all....

so after the shoe-bomber we all had to start taking off our shoes to get through airline security, I guess you will all just have to start going commando when you fly from now on..

I wonder if it would just be cheaper to go back to the previous security measures, get rid of all these TSA people and just pay for two sky-marshalls on every flight? and arming the pilots also may not really be a bad idea...

they have x-ray machines that allow the user to see through peoples clothing.

I know...I know these amazing glasses were available for years at joke shops and throuch cominc book ads.

There is a contingetnt of people that say it violates their privacy for the TSA to use them. I suspect that these same folks have precisely the physiques that one would NOT want to see without clothes.

How about intelligent screening policies like Israel? Ask good questions to people who are likely to cause problems, and actually keep people off planes who have gone to Yemen and studied at schools which are known to teach violence?

Better xrays, better searching, no hands in your laps policies, all this fuzzy b/s, heck even guns in a marshall or pilot's hands, aren't really worth much if you still let people known to be terrorist on planes. Plus, these policies just disrupt commerce for the law abiding.

How about intelligent screening policies like Israel? Ask good questions to people who are likely to cause problems, and actually keep people off planes who have gone to Yemen and studied at schools which are known to teach violence?
Better xrays, better searching, no hands in your laps policies, all this fuzzy b/s, heck even guns in a marshall or pilot's hands, aren't really worth much if you still let people known to be terrorist on planes. Plus, these policies just disrupt commerce for the law abiding.
Has anyone been in your luggage without your knowledge?

One problem is scale. A lot more airports, flights than in Israel.

I agree a lot of the rules they came up with after it happened are stupid. So I can't have anything on my lap an hour before the plan lands, but if I want to blow it up 2 hrs before it lands that's ok. I think it is a lot more about trying to reassure the flying public, but it was a miss and people saw through the half assed attempt.

It is easy to say they should have better screening of passengers (seemed to have drop the ball on the most recent attempt), but at some point that will fail. The only sure fire way is a 100% passenger search/explosive swab, either by hand or with the xray's machines they are testing. Either way, that will eventually fail. The good news is that these attempts only happen 1 in 11 billion flown miles (or something like that), so the risk is relatively small (easy to say not being or having a loved one on that 1).

It is easy to say they should have better screening of passengers (seemed to have drop the ball on the most recent attempt), but at some point that will fail. The only sure fire way is a 100% passenger search/explosive swab, either by hand or with the xray's machines they are testing. Either way, that will eventually fail. The good news is that these attempts only happen 1 in 11 billion flown miles (or something like that), so the risk is relatively small (easy to say not being or having a loved one on that 1).
Here's the flaw in your (and most of America's) logic. THere is no 100% sure-fire way. All that there is, however, are reactive changes. "Oh! They tried to use liquid explosives, quick, ban liquids!" "Oh! He tried to use a shoe bomb, quick, search shoes!"

Explosive swabs aren't 100% by any means. I have a range bag, which has over the years been soaked by residual smokeless powder from shooting so often, which I travel with sometimes. Every once in a while I'm stopped and it's searched, but most of the time it goes right through.

And you're right. The risk is quite small. So why impair everyone's ability to travel with ubiquitous and random rules?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, this is not the topic I was expecting when I read the title.

:mf_followthroughfart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was listening to the radio today and the host was reading from an interview script from an IRA terrorist after he attempted to kill the Queen of England. Paraphrasing he said, "The Queen has to be lucky every day, we only have to be lucky one day."

That's exactly how it is with the muslim terrorists, they only have to get through once.

The solution to all of this is very simple, stop the empire building, bring all of our troops home, end foreign occupations, and end all foreign aid. That will take away any reason/cause these people have to be angry with us, it will also take away their primary recruiting tool.

If there are a few leftover muslim whack jobs, we could use use racial profiling in airport security screening.

Airport measures are definitely lacking.

I have on a handful of occasions, dropped substantial bombs on an airplane. I succeeded in taking out the entire rear half of the plane, and in some cases on 737's and smaller, parts of first class.

IMO, the first step to reducing potential airline bombings, is to close all airport Chili's restaurants.

Here's the flaw in your (and most of America's) logic. THere is no 100% sure-fire way. All that there is, however, are reactive changes. "Oh! They tried to use liquid explosives, quick, ban liquids!" "Oh! He tried to use a shoe bomb, quick, search shoes!"

Explosive swabs aren't 100% by any means. I have a range bag, which has over the years been soaked by residual smokeless powder from shooting so often, which I travel with sometimes. Every once in a while I'm stopped and it's searched, but most of the time it goes right through.

And you're right. The risk is quite small. So why impair everyone's ability to travel with ubiquitous and random rules?
I agree. Didn't mean to use the term "sure fire" If someone is determined, they will figure out a way.

Solution: Require that ALL passengers fly nude. It wouldn't be pretty, but it would solve a lot of problems.

The solution to all of this is very simple, stop the empire building, bring all of our troops home, end foreign occupations, and end all foreign aid. That will take away any reason/cause these people have to be angry with us, it will also take away their primary recruiting tool.
Yeah, but where would the fun be in that?

Yeah, but where would the fun be in that?

I know, our politicians wouldn't have anything to rile the dumb masses up with. Plus we'd have that extra trillion dollars lying around, what the hell would we do with that, pay down debt?

I was listening to the radio today and the host was reading from an interview script from an IRA terrorist after he attempted to kill the Queen of England. Paraphrasing he said, "The Queen has to be lucky every day, we only have to be lucky one day."
That's exactly how it is with the muslim terrorists, they only have to get through once.

If there are a few leftover muslim whack jobs, we could use use racial profiling in airport security screening.
We tried isolationism twice: the first time was during World War I when we tried to wait it out and then found out that Germany was only a few months from bleeding out the French and British Armies. In 183 days of combat we lost 116,000 dead in order to literally save the free world in 1918.

So then we tried "minding our own business" again. Only this time they destroyed most of the Pacific Fleet, France was lost, Britain was almost starved into submission, and in almost four years of fighting we lost over 250,000 dead in order to once again save the free world.

Foreign policy is neither fun, easy, nor cheap, but with great power comes great responsibility. We are not perfect by any means, but we have done a lot of good in this world since the Second World War (The Marshall Plan).

^To add to that: So long as we are buying their oil which provides money to keep the Saudi regimes in power, those same regimes are going to turn a blind eye to the extremists teaching their kids from birth about how demonic we are. The regimes know they are better off with the nutcases blaming somebody else (us) for their circumstances rather than their own government/ruling class.

Back