~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow to begin shortly. Expecting up to 18" over the next 24 hours, based on some reports. I have no desire, or plans to go to work at all on Thursday. SNOW DAY

I awoke to snow this morning, which tapered of by 9am. Then the sun came out and it's warmed up into the low 40's so the snow and ice is melting fast. I went for a walk a little while ago and the stuff that's on the road is mostly just a thin layer of slush that wouldn't be any trouble for a car to drive through and even that is only in the shady spots. If they hadn't "closed the office" today I'd probably go in to work. I figure I can work just as effectively from home right now so there isn't much point. I had a dentist appointment scheduled for 4pm today. I called around lunchtime and no one was there. I left a message basically saying I wasn't coming in and call to reschedule me. I'm debating calling back to see if anyone showed up. I'm not eager to go to the dentist but this was the second time I've had to reschedule due to weather. I kind of just want to get it out of the way now.

I'm supposed to fly into Charlotte at 6am tomorrow. I have no idea whether they're going to cancel my flight or not.

I'm on a flight to Atlanta now, then on to Tucson. Hoping this all goes through. sounds like Atlanta is recovering

[SIZE=medium]RW- Did they cancel and say use your AL? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Only good thing at the moment about the snow that has been here for now 2 weeks (in Boulder) is I normally cant get here early enough for the on street parking around the building – we have no actual assigned spaces so its first come first serve wherever you can park, (like no parking lot, deck, etc) supposed to encourage you to ride a bike to work I guess.. well when it snows they plow the main roads and dump the snow into the on street parking spaces.. which really sucks if you drive a prius, geo metro, LEAF, Subaru, etc. but if you drive an old SUV such as myself with 4WD you can drive right on top of it and get rock star parking.. most of the people at my work drive such vehicles so I have enjoyed the snow days.. for that one reason..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]RW- Did they cancel and say use your AL? [/SIZE]
The options they gave us were to use PTO, work from home or make up the missed time. I actually dragged my computer and monitors home with me when I knew we weren't going to be able to safely make it to the office. I can login remotely and basically do anything I could do in the office. It's a bit slower, but it works. I actually feel like I've gotten more work done these past two days from home then I could if I'd been in the office. There is no one calling, no one emailing, no one bothering me. I can sit down and get stuff done. It's fantastic! Plus I get to do it while sitting in my kitchen wearing a bathrobe. :D

we have a lot of people here that telecommute 2 days a week, one is a GIS person, the other is a trail designer, and 2 cad girls. I am sure they get ALOT done those 2 days..

I actually dragged my computer and monitors home with me when I knew we weren't going to be able to safely make it to the office.
LOL, seriously?! You mean you don't have a dual/tri-monitor setup at home already? :huh:

Now that's dedication. I just remote in from my home PC to the work PC. But at almost every place I've worked, both my home PC and internet connection were both far beyond the capabilities of my work PC/connection. LOL

Round one over. Got 11 inches of snow. All shoveled out. Round two overnight. Supposed to get about 6 inches more.

We all have the ability to telecommute and from the corporate standpoint we are allowed to but it's left up to the discretion of the department/division managers whether or not to allow it. Consequently, some departments do allow people to telecommute a day or two a week, but our department doesn't. :(

This is the first time I can every remember the office actually being "closed". Usually the company sends out a notice telling us that if we don't feel safe coming in then don't come in. I can't ever recall another time the flat out told us not to come into the office and they did it two days in a row. We just got an email saying the office would be open tomorrow but to be careful coming to work.

I actually dragged my computer and monitors home with me when I knew we weren't going to be able to safely make it to the office.
LOL, seriously?! You mean you don't have a dual/tri-monitor setup at home already? :huh:

Now that's dedication. I just remote in from my home PC to the work PC. But at almost every place I've worked, both my home PC and internet connection were both far beyond the capabilities of my work PC/connection. LOL
I can remote in from my home computer, but the trouble is we only have one computer at home that's really up for that and both my wife and I have been home from work the past two days. We can both remotely connect, but not on the same computer at the same time. ;)

It's less hassle for me to pack up my computer and take it home then it is for her. At least I know when I get it all home I will have brought the right cables to hook it all back up again. :D

Also, with the threat of power outages I figure it was a safer bet to have my computer with me. If the power went out at the office and I was relying on connecting remotely I would be SOL. At least this way I'm only dependent on having power and internet at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back