~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nice thing was that it was actually snow, not ice like we usually get. You could walk and drive without risking life and limb. Plus, it all melted pretty quickly.

We got about 6" yesterday, then between when I finished shoveling the driveway (about 6 pm) and 7 am this morning, we got another inch. They are calling for flurries all day today, so that could add another half to an inch. This is all added to the 6-8" we already had on the ground. The mayor said yesterday that this is our 7th snow event of the season...we usually have 2 or 3 measurable snows per year.

The nice thing was that it was actually snow, not ice like we usually get. You could walk and drive without risking life and limb. Plus, it all melted pretty quickly.

They plowed around me, but managed to bring it down to about 1/2" thickness left on the roads. Of course, everything iced over completely by morning and made for quite the treacherous commute.

Got to be over 80 degrees in South Texas yesterday..had a beautiful round of golf. Well the weather was beautiful...the golf, not so much.

Woo Hoo! Over a foot of snow at my house over the weekend, over 2' on mountain! Finally, after a long, snowless winter, we get slammed. Wait till next week...I'll be complaining then, but for now, :bio:

Just started raining here. Hopefully it'll wash some of this dang pollen off. I thought my car was black, but the past week it's been yellow.

Just started raining here. Hopefully it'll wash some of this dang pollen off. I thought my car was black, but the past week it's been yellow.

Thank God. Maybe this will offer about 5 minutes of allergy relief for me.

Thank God. Maybe this will offer about 5 minutes of allergy relief for me.
hey at least you can take something for your allergies.
It's a no win for the allergies for me. Benadryl works for my nose and eyes, but doesn't do anything for my asthma. I have to take 2 or 3 of them at a time to work, then I'm drowsy/groggy for the rest of the day. If I take nothing, them I'm a crying, booger-nosed ball of mucus all day. Granted, it probably won't make a difference right now with the sinus, ear, and eye infection.

P.S. - I also drive a black car. Well, it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried zyrtec, like benadryl it doesn't work for me. When I could take allergy meds, Claritin works like a charm, but i buy the sam's club version cuz I can get like 300 pills for $17.

not a huge fan of nasal sprays, tried that route as a teenager.

I just use the nasal sprays for the bad days (woodworking in the garage, when I mow the lawn, etc.), then use both the zyrtec and the spray for the really, really bad days.

Nothing else works for me. Benedryl makes me feel hungover, and the others don't seem to be strong enough for me to notice a difference. The one thing that has helped alot (recommended by my allergist) is to be proactive with the treatment, not reactive. If I take a zyrtec or a shot of the nasal spray before I mow the lawn I have no issues, but if I take it afterwards it takes several hours to get back to at least comfortable. When I visit my parents house, their cats give me the worst allergy problems (and I have 2 cats of my own). If I don't take a zyrtec before I get there and each morning I'm there, I will feel like I have a full-blown sinus infection for at least 3 days after I get back.

I have started seeing ads for this new treatment called the BAX-3000. According to what I've found, this treatment basically "re-wires" your brain into thinking that allergens are no-longer an irritant. The one big downside I saw is that they can only treat 1 specific allergy at a time (i.e. grass pollen). You have to come back for separate treatments for each allergy you have. According to the skin test, I'm allergic to just about everything except food allergies which means I would need at least 2 dozen treatments to get them all (even in Denver with a relatively short growing season, my allergies kick in early Feb and continue through Oct).

I just use the nasal sprays for the bad days (woodworking in the garage, when I mow the lawn, etc.), then use both the zyrtec and the spray for the really, really bad days.
Nothing else works for me. Benedryl makes me feel hungover, and the others don't seem to be strong enough for me to notice a difference. The one thing that has helped alot (recommended by my allergist) is to be proactive with the treatment, not reactive. If I take a zyrtec or a shot of the nasal spray before I mow the lawn I have no issues, but if I take it afterwards it takes several hours to get back to at least comfortable. When I visit my parents house, their cats give me the worst allergy problems (and I have 2 cats of my own). If I don't take a zyrtec before I get there and each morning I'm there, I will feel like I have a full-blown sinus infection for at least 3 days after I get back.

I have started seeing ads for this new treatment called the BAX-3000. According to what I've found, this treatment basically "re-wires" your brain into thinking that allergens are no-longer an irritant. The one big downside I saw is that they can only treat 1 specific allergy at a time (i.e. grass pollen). You have to come back for separate treatments for each allergy you have. According to the skin test, I'm allergic to just about everything except food allergies which means I would need at least 2 dozen treatments to get them all (even in Denver with a relatively short growing season, my allergies kick in early Feb and continue through Oct).
I was always proactive in allergy meds, March through the first heavy frost it is a daily thing. For really bad days I take a Unisom, must be brand name and have to have a good 8hrs since it is a sleeping pill.

It's 62 and mostly sunny with a light breeze here. It's my perfect weather. Too bad I'm stuck in a class until 10 PM tonight.
you suck. we had 85 degrees two days ago and today is a high of like 52, with a freezing warning for this evening.

We won't see 80 degrees for another couple of weeks. I'm just happy the highs are over 60.

Back