~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 62 and mostly sunny with a light breeze here. It's my perfect weather. Too bad I'm stuck in a class until 10 PM tonight.
you suck. we had 85 degrees two days ago and today is a high of like 52, with a freezing warning for this evening.
Well it's rainy here today, which is the last thing this area needs right now. Thanks for sending the weather east. Way to spred the misery. You're the one that sucks.

Just need it to dry out by 7 or 8 tomorrow so I can get my bike ride in. Otherwise, you're toast.

It's 62 and mostly sunny with a light breeze here. It's my perfect weather. Too bad I'm stuck in a class until 10 PM tonight.
you suck. we had 85 degrees two days ago and today is a high of like 52, with a freezing warning for this evening.
Well it's rainy here today, which is the last thing this area needs right now. Thanks for sending the weather east. Way to spred the misery. You're the one that sucks.

Just need it to dry out by 7 or 8 tomorrow so I can get my bike ride in. Otherwise, you're toast.
glad i could help :D

I just got back from the doctor. I have another freaking ear infection. I think it's due to pollen/allergies (which have never bothered me before). She gave me a high dose antibiotic (for the ear infection) and Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray which is a steroid which will hopefully reduce the swelling in my inner ear. I hope I'm feeling good enough to take the boat out tomorrow. I promised mini Chuck and little miss Chuck that we'd go out on the harbor tomorrow.

I'm loving this rain. I just completely regraded/seeded/fertilized my lawn last weekend and now I have to stay off it and water it for a month. This rain is perfect timing.

I just got back from the doctor. I have another freaking ear infection. I think it's due to pollen/allergies (which have never bothered me before). She gave me a high dose antibiotic (for the ear infection) and Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray which is a steroid which will hopefully reduce the swelling in my inner ear. I hope I'm feeling good enough to take the boat out tomorrow. I promised mini Chuck and little miss Chuck that we'd go out on the harbor tomorrow.
Good luck with that. My ear doesn't hurt today thankfully, but the sinuses sure as hell do. I did a Sinus Rinse this morning (aka, the pressure-fed nose douche), and what came out of my mouth/other nostril was absolutely abhorrent. This is, by far, the worst sinus infection I've ever had. I'm glad that the eye goop has diminished somewhat as well.

We're in the midst of a major drought. All of our grass is brown and crunchy, and there are brush fires around the island almost every day. The utility has finally started conservation measures - we're all groundwater here - and the water at our house is coming a trickle now. Showers are virtually impossible - have to trickle into a bucket and then use a rag and cup to shower.

1 more month until the rainy season starts, but the NWS says that may be delayed another month due to the post-El Nino conditions that are setting in.

Aren't you guys surrounded by water? Can saltwater be used for non-potable purposes (flushing toilets, irrigation, etc.)?

Saltwater could be used for those purposes, but it would require a dual water distribution system which would cost a fortune to build and maintain, and it would create a cross-connection nightmare. Not to mention the effect it may have on the ability of the sewage treatment system to work - that's a biological process and I'm not sure what the effect of high salinity would be.

I don't think salt water can be used for irrigation - will kill most plants and trash the soil, and mess up the groundwater system - on an island like this (and many others), fresh groundwater floats on top of the denser seawater in what's called a "lens" (Ghyben-Herzberg Lens). It's a pretty precarious balance, and even over-pumping a well can disrupt the lens in a local area for years. Dumping seawater in from above, thorugh irrigation or even de-salinization waste, does the same thing or worse.

De-salination on the other hand is god-awful expensive at the public water supply level. We all drink de-sal'ed bottled water here already, produced from moderate salinity groundwater. Because water from the lens system is not really fresh - it still has ~500 ppm chlorides, at best, which makes it taste like crap. Desalinizing moderately saline groundwater is economical at a bottled-water scale. Dealinizing seawater is extremely energy intensive - most of the big hotel resorts here do that.

We're in the midst of a major drought. All of our grass is brown and crunchy, and there are brush fires around the island almost every day. The utility has finally started conservation measures - we're all groundwater here - and the water at our house is coming a trickle now. Showers are virtually impossible - have to trickle into a bucket and then use a rag and cup to shower.
1 more month until the rainy season starts, but the NWS says that may be delayed another month due to the post-El Nino conditions that are setting in.
Sounds like an excuse for the wife to provide you with a sponge-bath. :dancingnaughty:

This is why I'm not an enviro engineer. Please ignore the circuit junkie. As you were.
Did you post something? j/k

Back