~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went snowshoeing last weekend -- so much fun! But I heard it was supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

Better than tubing -- you should park yourself on a lazyboy with a cooler full of beer out on the ice and when it all breaks up and heads down river you get a sweet ride.

I LOVE snowshoeing. I've gone the past few weekends. There's a little trail park by me that's nice, or if I'm feeling extra vigorous I'll go part way up one of the Mt. Ascutney trails. I figure I better get in my last few trips of the year before it all melts.

I just checked weather.com for tomorrow. FUUUUUUUUUCK! It's finally gonna be warm on the weekend and now it's gonna rain. Great, we'll go from frigid to mud season in 6 hours. :blink:

^ huh? :blink: ?
Honestly though, that's how I know when it's really, really cold, as opposed to just really cold. How much do my nostrils freeze immediately upon a deep inhalation of air?

My skin just registers as being fucking frosty, but the nose knows.
no, I was talking about getting sunburned inside your nose. Maybe it is just a high altitude thing, but these sunny spring days + snowshoe trips can get you burnt where you least expect it. Esp. if there is a nice cool breeze.

frozen nostrils suck. actually, they don't work at all. you need a mask to pre-warm the air.

^ Actually, I did visit CO a couple time. And you're absolutely right.

I stayed near Boulder. It was August, and really fucking hot, like 90 or so. We then went up to Rocky Mtn Natl Park where the temp was a good 30 degrees cooler. I'm not used to cool+sunburn, but I got toasted.

w00t!! It was about 44 here this evening!

Went biking in shorts and a long-sleeve t-shirt. I've been itching for this for a couple months, had some major league cabin fever setting in. Half of my skin had no idea what to do with those big yellow sunrays hitting it.

:popcorn:

Speaking of M4's, do you or any of the soldiers in your unit use the Eotech sights? I got one a couple of months ago and I love it. Of course, I don't often encounter bad guys shooting at me either, but it works wonderfully for shooting running hogs out to 100yards or so.

here comes the pollen!

just when its cool enough to open the windows at night too dammit...

No pollen here for a while, but the temps are supposed to be around 45-50 later in the week, so all the new snow we got will melt and we will dive fully into the mud season we got a tease of last week when it was in the 50s.

Mud season sucks.

^^^^^ Yeah, just ask Napoleon and Hitler.

I suspect that Stalin and the Czars didn't mind it so much. :eyebrows:

Allergies are definately going crazy - but over the last week, we've been able to open the windows every other night or so. supposed to be 73 today, maybe I'll survive this winter after all.

In pulling out of the driveway this morning, looks like I'm going to have to get the lawn mower tuned up in the next week or so, grass is greening up fast.

Huh? I'm a little rusty on the role of mud in military history.

Military campaigns in the steppes of Western Russia historically bog down big time in the impenetrable mud in the Spring and Fall. It played a large part in the defeat of both Hitler and Napoleon there. The brutal winters ultimately finished the job, but the mud slowed down the advances so much that they weren't able to conquer the country before the winter came and froze the invaders solid.

For some strange reason your reference to mud season made me think of that. :eyebrows:

Forecast for Sunday calls for a high of 87 degrees. WTF? I don't live in Florida. It isn't May yet. What it going on here?

It's Global Warming, EVERYBODY PANIC!!! :17:

Military campaigns in the steppes of Western Russia historically bog down big time in the impenetrable mud in the Spring and Fall. It played a large part in the defeat of both Hitler and Napoleon there. The brutal winters ultimately finished the job, but the mud slowed down the advances so much that they weren't able to conquer the country before the winter came and froze the invaders solid.
For some strange reason your reference to mud season made me think of that. :17:
It's more than just engineering on this site....we get a History lesson too. I like it. Did not know about the mud issue..knew about the winter, but not the mud...

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see that. Having to slog through all that muck dragging along your heavy equipment and artillery would take forever. And if it froze, you're screwed. That's a cool story Metro.

The weather is supposed to be upper 40s here the rest of the week. I definitely need to get outside after work today.

The weekend is supposed to be pretty nice too. It's maple farmer's open house weekend this weekend and we are going to take a day trip around the state to see some of the different farms. Hopefully score some free hot cider and goodies while we're at it!

Ugghhh - we're having a very rare April typhoon here in the Marianas today. Fortunately, it hasn't developed beyond bare minimum hurricane strength, and it's missing us by about 50 miles. So all we're getting is 40-50 mph wind and not nearly as much rain as expected. But it still sucks. I was right in the middle of two big monitoring well projects at work (why I haven't been checking in much lately) and this weather has totally screwed our schedule.

Watch out, Floridians: our typhoon season usually tracks well with your Atlantic hurricane season. This early April storm is very unusual. I have no idea what this means for the rest of the year.

I guess I shouldn't really complain since it's not like we're getting a typhoon ^ or something, but it's snowing out! well, sleeting I guess, and we're supposed to get more snow tonight. It's April...come on! I was going to run at lunch...yuck. :brickwall:

Here's the forecast for the rest of the week:

weather.jpg

Back