The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread today:

0pnAOZm.gif
that was a great show!

Running on a treadmill sucks, but it's better than not running. I'm not running outside in winter partly due to being a wimp about the temp, but also due a a real fear that I will slip on the ice and actually hurt something (maybe that's KF's friend's "running" health problems).  I could run with yak traks, but I'd rather not.... Plus, treadmill time lets me watch stand-up comics on Netflix, which I otherwise wouldn't do.  

A run is a run is a run! Even if it's from a charging bear. :)

Scratch that, probably ESPECIALLY if it's from a charging bear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really should be in here, but instead I am currently choosing to relieve stress in other ways...

My training plan officially started yesterday! Today is the first run. 2 miles at an easy pace. Should be no problem, but hoping I don't cough up any of of the fun colored phlegm I currently seem to like to expel from my body!

I chose an "easy" plan despite my ability to run at a decent pace just to up my mileage and build up my endurance. I'm not great in that department! I'd like to be not so incredibly sore after my race in April.

My 6 mile run last night was not the greatest. It was chilly and windy, and my legs were having trouble warming up. It probably didn't help that my first mile, which was supposed to be a warm-up pace, was much faster and thus my middle four miles suffered. Calves were not having it and were noticeably sore once I was back home, which was a little surprising.

But hey, I got it done! And am proud of myself for doing so.  :)

I'm trying to get back into running after a long hiatus of not much physical activities. I was in decent shape 3 plus years ago where my BMI and overall health was significantly better.  Anyhow, I've gained more than 15 lbs since then and and I'm not in a great physical shape. I feel motivated now to lose weight and started running three weeks ago and also signed up for a local 5k. I started training through a couch to 5k app and after a few days I'm experiencing recurring episodes of what appears to be shin splints. I've been icing and doing some foam roller exercises (thanks YouTube) but every time I start running after a few days break, the pain on the lower leg comes back. I feel disheartened that I probably wont be ready for the 5k and running on a regular basis might not be an option for me. 

I'm wondering if any of the experienced runners here faced similar challenges and what they did to overcome it. I'm very interested to get some tips and suggestions.      

About 14 years ago I weighed in at 205 lbs.

One day I simply said I'm changing and I cut the crappy food off cold turkey. To this day, I run 30 mins a day and trade off with some push ups, crunches, and some planks every other day.

Now, I am 40 and I weigh 164 lbs.

It is never too late to change things around.

For your shin splints, try running on the grass. Try also to almost run on the front part of your feet rather than always landing on your heel. It really does help.

Thanks @leggo PE and @kevo_55 for the suggestions and encouraging words. I intend to start again this Sunday after a week of rest and hopefully the shin splints would have healed by then. 

Or perhaps switch to a different outdoor exercise/activity that is less impact like biking. :thumbs:

:D

Back