The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to run every road in my town. I've been running on one of the paths we have but yesterday was the busiest I had seen it (ever - it's seriously an under-utilized path) and I was so anxious & tense during my run. I got a copy of the street map form the town website and while it's got some issues (blurred the highway & a road into one large grey mass - wtf), I'm gonna use it to track my runs. 

Leadville trail marathon officially cancelled today & the right call for the small mountain towns - and good for me since 2 months of home workouts of Air Squats / Goblet Squiats / Box Jumps have irritated the **** out of my knee - on to 2021

I also signed up for one of those stupid spartan runs for me and the daughter for September I think?  No word from them - but these things are crazy expensive like $350 bucks for both of us- 

#neveragain!

I don't think I'll ever run a Marathon.  It requires too much time training.  I can't fathom the four hour 20 mile Saturday runs followed by an incredibly sore Sunday.

Marathon training was intense. It was all encompassing. I think that it's for you if you've ever watched Forrest Gump and thought, "Hey, I like that part where all he does is run!" There's no time for anything else during the higher mileage weeks and because you invest so much time in training you don't do anything fun so you don't get injured. 

Spartan is in August. I'm not so sure it'll happen this year. That's the race I signed up for because the year prior the Warrior Dash went out of business. 

I might also just not sign up for things next year. I have so many deferred events at this point it's ridiculous. 

I ran a marathon and I'm so good on never doing another one.

I was so burnt out from running with 2-3 weeks to go (I did 2 marathon cycles back to back with the 1st marathon becoming a half because it was -10F & my water froze 2 mi in lol).

I took a couple years off from wicked long distance and tried again. No. A 5am run in 0F, I decided I didnt want to do a marathon. Because I was losing the love of running. A half is likely going to be my cap 

They do take time, but this one had been on my bucket list long before I moved to Colorado (but i moved here and got out of shape) - so it was going to be my last - its a high altitude trail marathon that even Olympic athletes have said its the hardest one they have ever done.(they are probably running it much faster than yours truly)

The guy that owns my crossfit gym trains lots of marathoners  & older runners (when you are more prone to get injured by doing tons of garbage mileage) - so he builds a plan that mixes the two- Its similar to this article from runner world.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a774984/what-happened-when-we-used-crossfit-for-marathon-training/

^- if you want to run a marathon and not spend your whole life running check out this article

So what I had been working with him on was a plan to reduce from 5 days at the gym to 3 and add in some running, but most of his athletes have loftier running goals than me, they want to qualify for Boston, I want to finish under 4.5 hours and get a t-shirt and a beer.

Hopefully I can keep getting in better shape, drop a few more  pounds and such between now and next June and be in better shape to hit this one - cause I am going to do it. even if I have to do it on my own - right now I am trying to see how much a hole I have to climb out of due to this virus..

But I think any "runner" should do at least one marathon - nothing like that feeling of hitting the wall around mile 18 and then feeling new life in your legs at mile 24..

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan is in August. I'm not so sure it'll happen this year. That's the race I signed up for because the year prior the Warrior Dash went out of business. 
They (Spartans) sure have been quiet on it - I think its not in Denver Limits which might give them more freedome to have it but it would be classified as a "large event"- if the Olympics punted then I would think they would as well - 

& i am with you on all this money out for these events - 

They (Spartans) sure have been quiet on it - I think its not in Denver Limits which might give them more freedom to have it but it would be classified as a "large event"- if the Olympics punted then I would think they would as well - 

& i am with you on all this money out for these events - 
They keep doing a "Buy $100 worth of Spartan gear and get a free race entry!" and I sense they are struggling big time. They absorbed all the people who signed up for Warrior Dash for free, so I think they might be in a panic about what to do if a bunch of people want refunds for canceled events. 

We cut back to a "run three days a week" half plan and it's the best thing ever. I got faster for sure. I think it definitely helps eliminate the tedium and builds those muscles that are needed to run strong but never get built during running. 

Years ago I did a few all night relays.  The one I did a few times started in the White Mountains in NH and ended at the NH coast on the other side of the state.  The total distance is 200+ miles and you can have up to 12 runners who each run three legs of the race about six hours apart.  Total miles is around 15 to 18 per person.  Each team rents two large vans that leap frog down the course.  The last one I trained a bunch for and did roughly 6:30/mile (hilly but net downhill).  The team finished in around 26 hours.  That's about as close as I'll get to a marathon.

Years ago I did a few all night relays.  The one I did a few times started in the White Mountains in NH and ended at the NH coast on the other side of the state.  The total distance is 200+ miles and you can have up to 12 runners who each run three legs of the race about six hours apart.  Total miles is around 15 to 18 per person.  Each team rents two large vans that leap frog down the course.  The last one I trained a bunch for and did roughly 6:30/mile (hilly but net downhill).  The team finished in around 26 hours.  That's about as close as I'll get to a marathon.
Ohhh! Reach the Beach?

I've never done it but have heard of it. What I have done is a fair few different Ragnar races, both road and trail. The road ones are of this same format. They're super fun!

Ohhh! Reach the Beach?

I've never done it but have heard of it. What I have done is a fair few different Ragnar races, both road and trail. The road ones are of this same format. They're super fun!
Yup Reach the Beach Beer.  The first time I ran it, a team was looking for two replacements and I took one of the spots.  The next two times I formed a team with the Boston Hash and then a combo team with Boston and Buffalo.

RTB (&similar) appeals to me less than running another marathon

I'm waiting for the death bell to ring on Mt Washington Road Race. They've communicated very well so far unlike Sugarloaf. Sununu talked this afternoon so I'm sure next week they'll announce whats up

Finally broke 7:00 for 5K.  Knee was good.  Would like to keep that pace with less effort though.

The time has come for me to get new running shoes... And my old ones that are in dire need of replacement were discontinued last year. Boooooo!

But, I'm a diehard Brooks running shoes girl, so I'm going to get their closest comparison. The drop is the same, which is the main thing I'm concerned about. 

The time has come for me to get new running shoes... And my old ones that are in dire need of replacement were discontinued last year. Boooooo!

But, I'm a diehard Brooks running shoes girl, so I'm going to get their closest comparison. The drop is the same, which is the main thing I'm concerned about. 
shoekicker.com 

the site searches like 20 different websites and you can look for specific models of shoes 

shoekicker.com 

the site searches like 20 different websites and you can look for specific models of shoes 
Thanks, just looked. No matches. It's okay, though. I've found what I think is a good replacement. Some people in the comments said they switched to it from the specific shoe I've been using until now. PureCadence is the old shoe, PureFlow is the replacement I think I'll be going with.

Back