The Paranoia thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Siri isn't just a pretty voice with the answers. It's also been recording and keeping all the questions users ask.

Exactly what the voice assistant does with the data isn't clear, but Apple confirmed that it keeps users' questions for up to two years. Siri, which needs to be connected to the Internet to function, sends all of its users' queries to Apple.

Apple revealed the information after Wired posted an article this week raising the question and highlighting the fact that the privacy statement for Siri wasn't very clear about how long that information is kept or what would be done with it.

Technically Apple keeps Siri user data for six months, associating that data with the user. After that time, the company will disassociate users from the data, meaning it will remove any identifiers for who input that particular query into Siri. But for the next 18 months, Apple said, it keeps the disassociated data for the sake of product testing and improvement purposes.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-siri-queries-20130419,0,7117017.story

I bet your google searches stay forever....

Are you guys up to something in here? You're plotting something...You are, aren't you?

Thank god I don't have my phone GPS turned on.

My Android phone tries to guess at where I work and where my home is but is about 1/2 mile off on either of them.

Google Now my ass.

glad I turned that function OFF on my phone... Tried it on a buddies phone and determined that he can keep it; I'll disable it and save battery life.

This is going to hurt those of us looking for a discreet cabin in the woods.

505.1 Address identification. New and existing buildings shall be provided with approved address numbers
or letters. Each character shall be a minimum 4 inches (102 mm) high and a minimum of 0.5 inch (12.7 mm)
wide. They shall be installed on a contrasting background and be plainly visible from the street or road fronting
the property. Where access is by means of a private road and the building address cannot be viewed from the
public way, a monument, pole or other approved sign or means shall be used to identify the structure.
http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/codes/Documents/2006-07cycle/FAA/IFC1.pdf

This is going to hurt those of us looking for a discreet cabin in the woods.

505.1 Address identification. New and existing buildings shall be provided with approved address numbers
or letters. Each character shall be a minimum 4 inches (102 mm) high and a minimum of 0.5 inch (12.7 mm)
wide. They shall be installed on a contrasting background and be plainly visible from the street or road fronting
the property. Where access is by means of a private road and the building address cannot be viewed from the
public way, a monument, pole or other approved sign or means shall be used to identify the structure.

http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/codes/Documents/2006-07cycle/FAA/IFC1.pdf

My inlaws went out of their way to do this marking...even so far as having the fire department try to come out to the address, non emerency situation, and they still couldn't find the house with the signs clearly posted at the end of the private road since there are 3 homes on the rd.

The funny thing about it is you'd think a plume of smoke or pillar of fire would be pretty self evident.

but not if it is a non fire related emergency. Fire/ambulance service is paired together. No smoke to get them there

moral of the story, if you need fire/ambulance to come out, just set something on fire.

This.

Or do what we used to do and tell the operator we'd meet them at the Amoco, or send someone to the highway to wave them down.

Back