--**-- The Infirmary --**--

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever gotten their deviated septum fixed?? I have surgery Thursday to get mine straightened out. My doctor is absolutely brilliant (shout out to GWU hospital) and said I should be fine by Monday.. but I’m still a little nervous about it 

Has anyone ever gotten their deviated septum fixed?? I have surgery Thursday to get mine straightened out. My doctor is absolutely brilliant (shout out to GWU hospital) and said I should be fine by Monday.. but I’m still a little nervous about it 
My sister had it done.  She said the absolute worst part was getting the gauze/packing removed.  In her case a chunk of it broke off, and started rotting in her nose!

I had deviated septum surgery done 23 years ago (holy sh*t).  Even though my breathing improved drastically, it trailed off again and long term only kept maybe a 50% gain (?).  I'm sure the procedure has changed since then, though.  With that said, in MY procedure the worst part was... <only click the spoiler if you reeeeeaaaaaalllly want to know>

the debridement appointment a week or so after the surgery.  My mom knew what it was, I didn't, and I didn't ask because what could be worse on a follow-up appointment after that surgery, right?  They basically took a pair of needle nose pliers, stuck it into my nostril, pushed / pulled / twisted, and ripped out the scar tissue until it was all gone.  I could feel and hear every *crunch* going on up there.  Tears were rolling down my face it hurt so much.  After that, I blew my nose and some bloody worms came out.  Then I hopped on the wheelchair, got to the car, and mom bought me a super size chocolate milkshake from McD's on the way home.  I'll never forget that feeling of unrestricted air through my nose.  It was beyond awesome.

well you guys have really amped me up for it.  😶

i have heard that taking out the dressing is the worst part, but that discomfort can supposedly be avoided if you huff saline spray like f-ing crazy. my mom got the same procedure done a couple months ago was neurotic with using the spray and then had the dressing removed with no discomfort at all. 

i had my tonsils out when i was 21 and that required a TERRIBLE 15 day recovery. I would wake up with pieces of my throat (or something?) on my pillow, blood in my mouth, and the percocet syrup worked for maybe 10 mins and then i'd start crying again. fingers crossed it isn't worse than that.

i'm so excited to breathe better though OMG.

My bruises are hurting today. Also think I have some additional bruising around my right ankle, and weird soreness in my shoulders, left one in particular. I wish I could have seen my crash in slow motion, to see what parts of me were hit by what and how.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had deviated septum surgery done 23 years ago (holy sh*t).  Even though my breathing improved drastically, it trailed off again and long term only kept maybe a 50% gain (?).  I'm sure the procedure has changed since then, though.  With that said, in MY procedure the worst part was... <only click the spoiler if you reeeeeaaaaaalllly want to know>

the debridement appointment a week or so after the surgery.  My mom knew what it was, I didn't, and I didn't ask because what could be worse on a follow-up appointment after that surgery, right?  They basically took a pair of needle nose pliers, stuck it into my nostril, pushed / pulled / twisted, and ripped out the scar tissue until it was all gone.  I could feel and hear every *crunch* going on up there.  Tears were rolling down my face it hurt so much.  After that, I blew my nose and some bloody worms came out.  Then I hopped on the wheelchair, got to the car, and mom bought me a super size chocolate milkshake from McD's on the way home.  I'll never forget that feeling of unrestricted air through my nose.  It was beyond awesome.
:puke:

My bruises are hurting today. Also think I have some additional bruising around my right ankle, and weird soreness in my shoulders, left one in particular. I wish I could have seen my crash in slow motion, to see what parts of me where hit by what and how.
I volunteer to bring out my high speed camera and film it for you if you volunteer to get doored into a bus again.

Survived surgery. I think I had a dream with football in it because I woke up and immediately asked the nurses about different nfl teams.

They didn’t stuff my nose with anything!! So my follow up is just to make sure everything healed ok. Thumbs up.

I have gauze attached to my nose kind of like the way a horse has a feed bag on its mouth? There’s an elastic going around the backs of my ears to keep it in place.

There is also some gauze in my nose but it dissolves on its own over time 

Last edited by a moderator:
Still haven’t slept. Have a ice pack on top of my head and am counting the minutes until I can take more Tylenol. Terrified of possibly sneezing.  :bananalama:

Also my teeth are killing me holy shit. So strange.
The roots/nerve endings of your teeth go up into your sinuses.  I had a really bad toothache I went to the dentist for a few weeks ago and he couldn't find anything.  Asked if I had been having sinus problems lately.  Sure enough...

So, the second we stepped off the cruise boat last week, Junior puked.  She puked several more times over the course of 6 hours, fell asleep, woke up totally fine.  I was not so lucky.  Thursday I caught the worst stomach bug I ever had.  I puked twice an hour, every hour, out both ends, from 5 am to 4 pm.  The butt pukes lasted another day and a half.  I have NEVER puked so violently in my life, and now have a Clockwork Orange style aversion to chicken soup as the result of it.  Then, as that was all winding down, I've come down with the cold and a suspected sinus infection which Mrs. Supe came down with the last day on board.

I think I'm done with cruises for a while.

The roots/nerve endings of your teeth go up into your sinuses.  I had a really bad toothache I went to the dentist for a few weeks ago and he couldn't find anything.  Asked if I had been having sinus problems lately.  Sure enough...

So, the second we stepped off the cruise boat last week, Junior puked.  She puked several more times over the course of 6 hours, fell asleep, woke up totally fine.  I was not so lucky.  Thursday I caught the worst stomach bug I ever had.  I puked twice an hour, every hour, out both ends, from 5 am to 4 pm.  The butt pukes lasted another day and a half.  I have NEVER puked so violently in my life, and now have a Clockwork Orange style aversion to chicken soup as the result of it.  Then, as that was all winding down, I've come down with the cold and a suspected sinus infection which Mrs. Supe came down with the last day on board.

I think I'm done with cruises for a while.
Sorry to hear, hope you feel better.

Gotta say though, this is exactly why I resist every time my wife mentions cruises.

Back