The Hunting Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oddly enough, in all my years of competitive rifle shooting, I've never been hunting. I think I'd like to, but at the same time, the targets are just so dang big...

I hunt upland birds, deer and duck hunting is an awful lot of work in my opinion...Reasonable weather, shoot the bird, dog brings it back, repeat

I haven't hunted since I moved from Michigan. Keep wanting to get out, but been having issues keeping things coordinated.

My first gun season was one to remember. I had been having decent luck during the archery seasons for the past few years, so I decided to go out with the shotgun that year since I hadn't been practicing with my bow as much as I should have. Due to school commitments and a 15 day window, I only got out 6 or 7 times. It was the last night and I got back to the house without seeing anything for the season after legal hours. As I cleaned my shotgun, I heard a car hit something just down the street from the house (next closest house was a mile out). So I headed outside to find the car gone, but there was a nice 4 pointer on the side of the road; already gutted! I finished gutting the deer and washing down the meat with a bucket of water I had fetched from the house when I went back to call the sherriff. By the time the deputy arrived, that buck was already loaded into the back of the truck to get it to the house so it could be hung and properly washed out. He gave me a road kill permit and told me not to go out and kill a good one with it!

After it was hung and washed, we skinned it out to look for any bad meat; then we let it hang for 2 days. The temps were favorable for that, so when the weekend arrived, we quartered it up with the sawzall and started to process it on our kitchen table. We ended up being able to keep nearly 75% of that animal. Dressed weight was just under 100lb, so it was a small buck for that area.

I think we ended up with 4 does during the archery and muzzleloader season too for the freezer. The freezer stayed full for the winter with fresh venison!

I'm used to doing my own processing, and only had it done professionally once due to the weather and timing. They really messed up the cuts and we ended up with getting 25% of the animal for the freezer due to "bad" meat. The roasts were so tough from them that they would have been better burger!

Am looking forward to going out for Caribou or Moose in the next year or two. Would be nice to fill the secondary freezer with that since the primary is full of halibut right now!

Early antlerless season in Michigan was only Sept 22-23 (Saturday and Sunday). I met my uncle and his friend at 6:15am on Saturday.

It was lightly raining and about 45 degrees.

Based on sunrise, DNR said no shooting until 6:49am on Saturday.

So about 7:30am, I saw the back half of a deer pass through a shooting lane about 40 yards from me, angling toward me on my right. Another deer was following about ten feet behind - a buck with 6-8 points and a narrow spread.

My tree stand faces south and they were walking upwind on a southeast-to-northwest bearing that would have them pass about thirty feet to my right.

But as soon as the front deer came into the next shooting lane and I ascertained it was antlerless, the deer put its head down and started turning right.

I purposefully do not clear-cut the low vegetation around my tree, so it looks more natural. But with the doe on its new bearing, it was quickly going to get into the uncut area underneath me. Then if it kept the new bearing, it was going to smell me before it got through the “blind spot.”

All of this occurred to me in less than a second while it was turning. So I shot at its front shoulder, which was now its left shoulder. It dropped.

It was at about 60 feet from my tree when I shot and it dropped at about 55 feet.

Then my heart started pumping. It had all happened too quickly for me to get nervous before shooting.

But she was down. There was no need to shoot again.

Then I noticed something back behind her. The buck had not moved. He was frozen except for his head – apparently trying to figure out where I was. Eventually he started walking the same path, back toward where he came from. But he only backtracked maybe ten yards and turned left, going northeast toward where I walked in. He ended up milling around for probably fifteen minutes before going back south where he came from.

Since the three of us share 55 acres, we agreed to stay in our trees until 10am rather than start making racket and ruining the hunt for the other guys. Turned out to be for the best because my uncle’s friend shot a nice doe with a slug from his 870, around 9am. But the wait gave me a couple hours to question myself.

That was a doe, wasn’t it?

Did I just assume it was a doe because a buck was following it?

It had all happened so fast.

From my tree stand, I could see the entire deer except the head.

10am finally arrived (alright, I’ll admit that I could only wait until 9:55) and I climbed down.

It was a doe.

The bullet had hit her temple – both the entry and exit on the same side. I was on the left shoulder when I fired but her head was down. So her head was apparently “in the way.” I didn’t take the time to do a dissection but the bullet must have cracked her coconut and ricocheted away. Because there was no damage to her torso; just the two holes in the noggin.

She was fat. We estimated her age at a year and half but she was well fed.

My wife and I dropped her off at the processor and got to East Lansing an hour before the MSU game kicked off.

Other misc details:

Tree stand was about 20-22 feet up

Glock 10mm (Model 20)

Dawson fiber optic adjustable sights. (I have since put on a red dot scope).

Underwood Ammo - 165 grain hollow points

The hunt was east of the city of Laingsburg; closer to the Pittsburg area.

Bait is illegal in Michigan before October 1st.

getting ready to head to the deer stand bright and early tomorrow morning...

blaze orange - check

carharts - check

flashliight - check

gun - check

bullets - check

chew - check

mountain dew - check

snacks - check

beer - check

I did for several years when I was in my 20's.. then I guess I just lost interest , not in hunting, but hunting for actual land to go to hunt....

My youngest said he would like to get into it one day, I would like to take him, like everytihing else, its hard in this part of the city to find people that actuall hunt where I could take him, I wouldnt take him to a WMA, too many clowns out there for my taste..

But my neighbor always gives me about 20 lbs of deer meat every season. Im very thankful.. the kids dont even know that we take the deer meat and mix it half and half with regular hamburger. for spaghetti, chilli, burgers, etc...

Been duck / waterfowl hunting - would like to get into upland birds (grouse, pheasants, etc). Deer hunting is done to death up here, thats when all the crazies come out.

I did for several years when I was in my 20's.. then I guess I just lost interest , not in hunting, but hunting for actual land to go to hunt....

My youngest said he would like to get into it one day, I would like to take him, like everytihing else, its hard in this part of the city to find people that actuall hunt where I could take him, I wouldnt take him to a WMA, too many clowns out there for my taste..

But my neighbor always gives me about 20 lbs of deer meat every season. Im very thankful.. the kids dont even know that we take the deer meat and mix it half and half with regular hamburger. for spaghetti, chilli, burgers, etc...
When I move back down to the real south, I'll take you out on the installation if you want....

There's an archery range set up over in the prison compound on base. I guess it was set up by some of the soldiers who wanted to shoot while they were here. A few of them had their compound bows sent over but they also have a connex trailer full of arrows, targets, and 8 or 10 recurve bows. We've been going over there on our half days off on Fridays. It's enough fun that I'll probably have to see about setting up a target in the backyard after I get home. We'll have to see if the boys get an archery set until I can decide whther they would just kill each other or not. We've got 2 1/2 acres that's all wooded and another 250 acres of woods behind that and it's full of deer, but I'm not sure if we'll try and shoot any of those or not. Heck with a deer stand, I'll just hang out in the boy's treehouse.

Know anyone in the Warner Robins area? Seems like there was a lot of land available to hunters back when I lived there, but that was over fifteen years ago.

No mention of a of bottle of Wild Turkey; for medicinal purposes only I might add....
Not this time around but I did see 16 real wild turkeys come out of roost about 60 yards from me on saturday and then fly into roost on sunday evening. What a racket!! The squirrels and grouse were also fun to watch. Very relaxing and refreshing time spent in the woods. I'm looking forward to going again next weekend.

Oh, by the way, I got a large Doe about a half hour before sun down last night. :)

I think the hunters are flushing everything out of the woods and onto my property... through out the day we had a nice buck, doe, turkey and the typical small game wander close.... I've seen the buck before and have heard the turkeys out in the woods, but was surprised to see them in the yard...

Back