The Hunting Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdcengineer

Sharp as a piece of beach glass
Reaction score
Any EB members out there into hunting?

Let's hear about it. Post stories, humor, etc. We may want to leave out the gory photos for our non-hunting friends here.

My season started today, but it was pretty hot out for the elk. Saw a 1/2 dozens doe, but no bucks. I love getting into the woods this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be hitting up deer (gun) season in WI which opens up on Nov. 17th. I also usually go turkey hunting in the Spring.

I'm not a hunter but is it consider bad form to kill a deer, field dress it, just take the meat you want then leave the rotting corpse there in the middle of the woods?

I'm not a hunter but is it consider bad form to kill a deer, field dress it, just take the meat you want then leave the rotting corpse there in the middle of the woods?
Perhaps if it is done that way. Most hunters I know (including myself) take the deer to be processed at a local outfit. Much more of the deer is used and there is little waste doing it this way. Plus whatever remains is disposed of properly.

My theory on that (and I don't hunt) is 'other living things must eat, too.'

Now, if it is on someone's property, you'd have to go with whatever they requested.

But taking it to a processing facility is the most efficient way to harvest the meat.

It's just want we ran across during a week of hiking through the woods behind a UXO tech back in January. It smelled horrible and thought rather out of place and rude since the owner clearly gave people permission to hunt on his land and was not the hunter himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only people I knew that left something like that behind were in a hurry because it was out of season.

The rope they used to tie it up to hang and the ground was still red from the drained blood... definitely not an animal that did the killing. We had such a mild winter it could easily have been dec too.

either way, in my opinion this is bad form...

On a brighter note, I'm looking forward to getting in the deerstand in a couple of weeks. I drove by the deerstand this week but haven't ventured up into it yet to check it out. it could be a roll of the dice come opening morning. watch for me on the news!!!

Head Line: hunter impales himself from 15' on "boom stick" :)
And here is an amateur artists rendering of the victim.

default_large.png

That's how we do it with elk. I could never haul the whole animal out of the mountains. I take it out in quarters and leave the un-usable portions for the scavengers.

I used to hunt fairly regularly, but havent gone since 2007. I would hunt for Mule Deer and Elk using either archery, muzzle-loader, or rifle. My last three times I've gone were for Bucks with a rifle, and two out of those ended up on the wall.

I field dress the animal based on the circumstances. If it's on private property, I follow the owner's instructions (typically haul everything off), but if I get an elk deep in the back-country I will only pack out what I need and leave the carcass. If I leave the carcass, I try to leave it in a place where it won't be easily found by other outdoorsmen out of consideration.

My family and I butcher everything we kill. No outside processors for us. We have our own specialty knives, meat grinders, and packaging and can typically process an animal in a couple hours. Because we process everything ourselves, we try to leave the carcass in the field as often as possible simply because it's better to be consumed by the wildlife out in the back country as opposed to being worried about bears breaking into the garage or tearing up our trashcans while we wait for the trashman to come every-other week.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics at work to share.

I don;t worry about carcasses here in CO. I have shot an elk on opening weekend and been out 6 days later with my brother and walked by the remains only to find nearly everything gone. One hunt I came back a few hours later and the gut pile was being dragged off by what looked like a giant pine martin or fisher cat.

We too process ourselves, but it takes me a lot longer than you Dex.

I used to hunt fairly regularly, but havent gone since 2007. I would hunt for Mule Deer and Elk using either archery, muzzle-loader, or rifle. My last three times I've gone were for Bucks with a rifle, and two out of those ended up on the wall.

I field dress the animal based on the circumstances. If it's on private property, I follow the owner's instructions (typically haul everything off), but if I get an elk deep in the back-country I will only pack out what I need and leave the carcass. If I leave the carcass, I try to leave it in a place where it won't be easily found by other outdoorsmen out of consideration.

My family and I butcher everything we kill. No outside processors for us. We have our own specialty knives, meat grinders, and packaging and can typically process an animal in a couple hours. Because we process everything ourselves, we try to leave the carcass in the field as often as possible simply because it's better to be consumed by the wildlife out in the back country as opposed to being worried about bears breaking into the garage or tearing up our trashcans while we wait for the trashman to come every-other week.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics at work to share.
Ever butcher a hog?

Think about all the things that were common knowledge a couple of generations ago that aren't any more.

Back