The Daily Dilemma

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that would be the idea until we get a separate house built, at least for the property we were looking at.

Hmmm, I really didn't think the responses would be so one-sided. Everyone seems to agree that this is mostly a bad idea.

Yes that would be the idea until we get a separate house built, at least for the property we were looking at.

Hmmm, I really didn't think the responses would be so one-sided. Everyone seems to agree that this is mostly a bad idea.
Once everyone is settled into a house with an in-law apt, how much motivation will there be to build a separate house?

But remember free advice is only worth what you paid for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because everyone else doesn't like the idea, doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Remember, we all hate HOA's, but that didn't stop me from moving into my neighborhood...

Agreed. I think for this to actually happen the perfect situation would have to land on our doorstep and we'd have to be in the right place to do something about it. I'm still open to the idea, but I think we definitely need to have some very open conversations about how it would work.

^ and expectations and boudary conditions...I've seen this inlaw suite scenario blow up. you being the outside party so to speak since it is your husbands parents need to be the most vocal and upfront about what you are willing to live with and what you aren't

Depending on how the living arrangements are set up, can they be in your space when you aren't home, acceptable visiting hrs, etc...

even though at the time they lived Directly below their grandkid, they were only allowed to see her when the mom left on wed evening for some practice for church...so an hr or so.

Back