The Cooking Thread

Help Support Engineer Boards:

Supe

Dangit, Bobby.
EB Supporter
Reaction score
I made my "you've goat to be kidding me" burgers the other day.

-80/20 chuck with some minced onion
-brioche buns
-caramelized yellow onions with a splash of balsamic vinegar during the last 10 minutes or so
-goat cheese medallion, dipped in flour, egg, panko bread crumbs

Cook burger to medium rare. Deep fry goat cheese at 375F until golden brown. They were AMAZING. Didn't even need condiments, warm goat cheese just smooshes over the burger top to add the salty to offset the sweetness of the onions. That said, I am going to try it again, but this time, with a thin layer of my habanero jelly on it.

LyceeFruit PE

Woodchipped Voice of Reason
EB Supporter
Reaction score
I made my "you've goat to be kidding me" burgers the other day.

-80/20 chuck with some minced onion
-brioche buns
-caramelized yellow onions with a splash of balsamic vinegar during the last 10 minutes or so
-goat cheese medallion, dipped in flour, egg, panko bread crumbs

Cook burger to medium rare. Deep fry goat cheese at 375F until golden brown. They were AMAZING. Didn't even need condiments, warm goat cheese just smooshes over the burger top to add the salty to offset the sweetness of the onions. That said, I am going to try it again, but this time, with a thin layer of my habanero jelly on it.
want

jeb6294

Charter Member
Reaction score
Tried HelloFresh a couple weeks ago. My sister got it as a Christmas present for Jack, our burgeoning chef. Gotts say, I wasn't terribly impressed. The meals weren't bad, but all the ingredients for a meal are thrown in one paper bag together and then all the bags are boxed up. We had a tomato get crushed so all our bags were soaked in tomato juice. On the website they've got a ton of meals, but when we went to do the next week, the number you can choose from was only about a dozen and I couldn't find three that we'd probably like short of adding the "gourmet" meal which cost quite a bit more.

They give you most of the exact ingredients (might need to come up with your own salt/pepper/olive oil/etc.) you need for each meal and the step-by-step instructions are pretty easy to follow so I could see it being a good choice for someone who doesn't know how to cook, but even Jack thought he could do fine without it.

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s what’s for dinner tonight:

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
Tried HelloFresh a couple weeks ago. My sister got it as a Christmas present for Jack, our burgeoning chef. Gotts say, I wasn't terribly impressed. The meals weren't bad, but all the ingredients for a meal are thrown in one paper bag together and then all the bags are boxed up. We had a tomato get crushed so all our bags were soaked in tomato juice. On the website they've got a ton of meals, but when we went to do the next week, the number you can choose from was only about a dozen and I couldn't find three that we'd probably like short of adding the "gourmet" meal which cost quite a bit more.

They give you most of the exact ingredients (might need to come up with your own salt/pepper/olive oil/etc.) you need for each meal and the step-by-step instructions are pretty easy to follow so I could see it being a good choice for someone who doesn't know how to cook, but even Jack thought he could do fine without it.
THat's my biggest issue with these types of things. They show lots of choices to hook you in then reduce it quickly. Add in gluten free and minimal dairy and there goes another chunk out the window.

Roasted meat and potatoes basically has become the new staple. I can't eat instant potatoes anymore...within the last year most have upped the amount of milk powder. We have tried a couple different brands for when don't have 45-60 minutes to boil potatoes, and they all have noticeably increased the amount of dairy.

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Staff member
Reaction score
Real potatoes for the win! Though yeah, they do take time. But if you are looking for mashed, cut them small and they boil in like 20 min. You can make a hash with parboiling and then baking or frying on the stove in less than 40 minutes, too. I get that it’s not nearly as convenient as instant potatoes, but man, it’s so good!

jeb6294

Charter Member
Reaction score
Jack was talking about one of the meals he made from HelloFresh. Did a quick search and found out you can still get all the recipes even if you're not active anymore. They're the .pdf's that come with the meals so they have ingredients, quantities and the prep steps. All you get with paying for HelloFresh is the ingredients delivered to your door for twice the price of getting them yourselves.

akwooly

Has gone PRO
Reaction score
Roasting garlic right now and the aroma from downstairs is making me hungry.

JayKay PE

Lower Intestine Aficionado
EB Supporter
Reaction score
A minimum of 3 hours from a landlocked body of wat
Jack was talking about one of the meals he made from HelloFresh. Did a quick search and found out you can still get all the recipes even if you're not active anymore. They're the .pdf's that come with the meals so they have ingredients, quantities and the prep steps. All you get with paying for HelloFresh is the ingredients delivered to your door for twice the price of getting them yourselves.
That is something I do. My landlords had a delivery of HelloFresh that they didn't want to use, so they gave it to me (for free) and I went on the website, not to buy, but one of the recipe cards were missing. Once I realized I could just follow the recipes, after going on reddit to see what the 'spice mixes' were, it was super easy to just do that. I'd rather go to the store and buy my own groceries and not just the 'specific' amount they include, which always seems much smaller than if I buy local.

Supe

Dangit, Bobby.
EB Supporter
Reaction score
Made a couple of decent sauces over the weekend.

First one I stole from "Sam the Cooking Guy" - no secret that I hate vegetables, so trying to find ways to make them palatable. Sauce was butter, lemon, thyme, garlic and a bunch of anchovy paste. I don't like anchovies by themselves, but they definitely gave it a salty/savory flavor. Put it on some peppers, asparagus, green beans, and red onions on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes, and they were awesome. You can eat damn near anything slathered in that stuff.

Second one was a DIY concoction of leftovers - cilantro, ginger, lime, garlic, salt, pepper, honey, and olive oil in the food processor for a sort of cilantro chimichurri sauce for kebabs. Came out pretty good.

Also did a quickie hibachi steak recipe - steak, mushrooms, soy sauce, white vinegar, little sugar, garlic, ginger, and white pepper. I made a ton of it, and there wasn't much in the way of leftovers between the three of us, even after making a bunch of fried rice to go with it.