The Cooking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
making stuffed peppers and boiled potatoes for dinner tonight....although it will only be an okay meal since we are out of peas.  

Review: the peanut stew was delicious! My husband, who loves peanut butter, loved it so, so much.

And Japanese sweet potatoes are freaking awesome. They transformed wonderfully and when cooked, turned out so creamy and delectable. I will definitely seek them out again!

I'm gonna make this tonight (for the first time): https://www.101cookbooks.com/instant-pot-fiasco-beans-recipe/

I'm following the recipe exactly using some cranberry beans I bought back at the beginning of sheltering in place, and will serve with some pitas. I wanted to make Smitten Kitchen's yogurt flatbreads that she posted about last week, but didn't get my eggs in a row and don't have them made. I'm thankful for my farmer's market pitas!

This is happening way to much

dfd3facdf6faa6d349e479d3cf334321.jpg

I dunno...I have way too many unpleasant memories of salmon croquets from my childhood.  That was always the worst dinner of the week.  Mmmm...canned salmon.
This didn't used canned fish. I cooked fresh (possibly previously frozen) sea bass fillets in white wine. It was fancy and delicious!

Note to future self: always, ALWAYS get the fish fillets deboned. That was not fun to do by hand, even when I tried the apparently simple way to do that a random French chef so kindly recorded a video of to show to me on Youtube. Good thing the fillets were getting flaked and turned into fish cakes and not getting presented as whole fillets, which they were definitely NOT after my deboning them.

Also, I've never had canned salmon. But I loooove salmon fillets. Grilled, baked, sushi (sashimi), yep!

Last edited by a moderator:
wife got a bunch of Texas Q from her aunt - we have been trying to find a way to use all the brisket - so last night we made nachos, i wasn't sold on adding a little corn to the nachos but it turned out pretty good & now I will do intermittent fasting until lunch today ;)

nacho.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wife got a bunch of Texas Q from her aunt - we have been trying to find a way to use all the brisket - so last night we made nachos, i wasn't sold on adding a little corn to the nachos but it turned out pretty good & now I will do intermittent fasting until lunch today ;)

View attachment 17588
Brisket nachos are a Texas staple...Same with brisket tacos.  Kind of like Forrest Gump and shrimp, really.

we were going to do brisket tacos tonight (corn shell) - this is good but if I have a hard time making it go away with 3 adult kids at the house its "too much"

Cant recall where she got it from, her aunt sent us  pack of ribs, pork loin, brisket, and some sausage - it appears texas bbq sauce is close to my Ga Vinegar based Q sauce roots. 

The wife asked her brother in law "the doctor" if he got  a pack as well- I guess she only sent it to "essential" medical personnel :)   he was like WTF??? 

Beef soup is on the stove.  Still needs to simmer, but doesn't seem as flavorful as last time.  I noticed the bone broth was much clearer and a little less pungent this time.  I think I needed to use fresh bones again for the higher marrow content like last time.  Lesson learned.

probably roast a chicken tonight, then make stuffed peppers tomorrow.   gluten free pasta selection here sucks....so lasagna has to wait until I can find some non-no boil variety or else I will have a buy like 3 boxes and spend like $10 just on noodles.  

Back