The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Well done!

Yum! I love making sourdough cinnamon rolls. Who doesn’t like cinnamon rolls, anyway? And isn’t it fun to do them without added yeast?
It is.

This recipe also used TangZhong, this is the first time I've had to do something with it. I tried one of them, even being pretty well cooked on the outside they were still nice and fluffy on the inside.

It is.

This recipe also used TangZhong, this is the first time I've had to do something with it. I tried one of them, even being pretty well cooked on the outside they were still nice and fluffy on the inside.
I’ve heard of the TangZhong method before, but haven’t tried it myself. Based on what you describe, it seems to have worked (and been executed) perfectly!

The modern Cucina 😋😋😋😋. It's not good to envy, but I envy the baking skills of our engineers on this thread.

Photo Source: Leggo PE and snickered3 PE

Bakery.jpg

I’m gonna bake this weekend and you are the second to hear it! First was Mr. leggo. We need bagels, and I want to make some blueberry muffins. I haven’t made bread in forever, but we also haven’t been eating it that much lately (shocker! I know), but I’m hoping I will get to that next week!

Our poor starters had been a bit neglected, but I got ‘em out of the fridge and gave them a feeding last night, and will do again tonight.

Our poor starters had been a bit neglected, but I got ‘em out of the fridge and gave them a feeding last night, and will do again tonight.
My life was changed once I figured out the fridge method for storing my starter. I can go for a few months without having to feed it, which really saves me money and time.

My life was changed once I figured out the fridge method for storing my starter. I can go for a few months without having to feed it, which really saves me money and time.
Yep, the fridge is the way to go unless you’re baking daily! Which I certainly am not. Weekly, yes!

This is what I’m talkin’ about!

5FBA4800-49E1-4766-A0F4-DA447B0DD048.jpeg

On a related note, I had a bagel from a place I’d been meaning to try essentially since I started making my own bagels, yesterday. This place made a lighter textured bagel that had good flavor, but it made me realize I like my chewy, crispy, really more flavored bagel myself! +1 for making something yourself that you can customize to your own preferences!

Sometimes it’s not about uniformity, and instead worth it to focus on the complete originality and uniqueness a scoring pattern can turn out once baked.

B4004CB3-E81E-4E88-A629-B1CB16A84B72.jpeg

Made King Cake yesterday. Recipe made two, but I think next time I would double the filling. it seems a little sparse, but I have never had king cake so I don't know how full it is suppose to be

Attachments

• IMG_0478[1].JPG
    IMG_0478[1].JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
I didn't bake anything, but I did find a bagel place about 15 minutes away in SC. When the customer in front of me started talking with a thick NY accent, I knew I was in the right spot. Owners are from NY, and have two stores - the one in SC, and one in Manhattan. Best bagels around, by far. Picked up half a dozen and a lox bagel with capers/tomato/red onion for breakfast, and I was in heaven.

Yessssssss. I love making that bread. It looks so impressive but, tbh, it's super easy. I always want to add more cheese to it...
Yeah, the bang for buck in terms of looks is off the charts! This version turned out pretty tasty, too.

So I’m not going to be able to attend it live, but I’m signed up for a 3-day sourdough croissant workshop through one of my favorite resources for learning more about sourdough and getting continuous inspiration for recipes, The Sourdough Schoolhouse. I will get access to the recordings afterwards, and I will need to find time to watch and digest everything! I’ve been interested in attempting croissants for a while now, but just haven’t taken the bait. I fully believe it’s something I’m capable of making successfully. Fingers crossed I’m right about that, ha!

Back