The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made some gluten free chocolate chip cookies on Halloween. Recipe said to let the dough sit for 30 minutes before baking. They ended up sitting for about 1.5 hrs since we went trick or treating. They actually turned out much better after the extended wait. That gritty texture with the gluten free flour mixture was all but gone. It's just unfortunate that the GF flour mix has powdered milk and the recipe adds milk. Mr snick can eat them, but I have to be careful. So I can't just make one type during the holidays....I'll have to make two, one GF the other normal.

@leggo PE
^ Holy smackers. The hell kind of trick or treaters y'all get over there?
Not trick or treaters at all. 95 lbs of flour, two different types! My typical bread flour and my favorite whole wheat flour. The bag of the whole wheat flour actually got repurposed as my Halloween costume.

Did you use a Dutch oven for this?
Sure did! All my bread (besides loafs that use a pan) currently get baked in my Dutch oven. But in the coming months, I’m gonna get a big upgrade because I bit the bullet and preordered a Fourneau Grande Bread Oven. Man, the thought of just being able to easily slide my dough into that bread oven, vs. my current method of scoring the loaf on parchment on a pizza peel, which I then place atop my screaming hot preheated Dutch oven, centering the loaf as best I can, carefully grasping the edge of the parchment round and whipping out the pizza peel from underneath to have the dough drop hopefully straight down into the dutch oven, is a HUGE upgrade to me. I’ve actually gotten really good at my pizza peel Dutch oven maneuver, and it’s always exciting, but it’s the kind of excitement I could go without in my bread baking. Ha!

I don't have a Dutch oven. I basically put the dough in a bread pan and put it in the oven that way. Looks nice, tastes good, but I don't get that crisp crust I see in your photos. I guess that's good in a way though, because my wife and son prefer the more "chewy" crust. I would prefer the crisper crust.

I don't have a Dutch oven. I basically put the dough in a bread pan and put it in the oven that way. Looks nice, tastes good, but I don't get that crisp crust I see in your photos. I guess that's good in a way though, because my wife and son prefer the more "chewy" crust. I would prefer the crisper crust.
You should get a Dutch oven. It’s hugely beneficial for bread, soup, beans, making yogurt, basically anything you need a heavy bottomed pot for!

Guys and gals, should I open up a bagel shop??

View attachment 24547

These are by far my best looking, and equally great tasting, bagels yet! I actually made 10, but neglected to take a photo until after two were already eaten. :)
I am in favor of anything that lets engineers quit their day job!

Guys and gals, should I open up a bagel shop??

View attachment 24547

These are by far my best looking, and equally great tasting, bagels yet! I actually made 10, but neglected to take a photo until after two were already eaten. :)
I've never had fresh homemade bagels. What's the best way to eat? Butter, cream cheese, jam?

The fruits of my labor…
I also made a video, but I don’t think I’ll post it here since I want to sorta remain anon and I would probably dox myself.

Also, I gave some sourdough starter to a friend! That’s a first for me.

Attachments

• FB8B4267-ADC9-4899-8E7B-196131C64FB8.jpeg
    FB8B4267-ADC9-4899-8E7B-196131C64FB8.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 3
Back