The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to figure out what my next recipe should be.  Finally got a really solid chocolate chip cookie that keeps its height/doesn't spread thin (I like block/Frankenstein's monster looking cookies).  Maybe I'll attempt kitchen sink cookies?  But I don't have pretzels...

I really want to make sour cream doughnuts...But I don't think I can do that tonight.  Maybe a raspberry clafouti to get rid of the huge amount I have from Costco?

^-- Yeah!

and yes this was before cooking it- wasn't much left to photo after it was done...

MjAxMy03ZmYwYmI4MDA5ZWE5MzQy.png

Serious baking question: I want to start a blog, but mostly a way for my cousin and I to share recipes (we're both doing weird stuff balking-wise and we both think it'd be easier to blog a post to each other than to randomly spam text messages).  Does anyone know a good, free, blog, that would be good for image-heavy recipes and kinda easy to add entries to? 

Whichever host you go with for your blog, better make sure they don't filter for lewd content if you're going to be posting vagina bread everywhere.

The pfeffernuesse tied for best tasting and won for prettiest at the cookie exchange last night! I was not expecting that at all.

OK, I'm counting this, because it was baked!

After our Tuesday wing night venue went downhill due to an ownership and staff change, I haven't had buffalo wings in months.  I was due for a cheat meal, but hate dealing with the extra time, cleanup, and calories of deep frying wings, so I decided to see if I could make a decent baked wing.

Trimmed them up, patted them dry, and gave them a light dusting of baking powder, which is one of my spatchcocked chicken secrets for crispy skin.  Then into the oven for about 35-40 minutes on 425°F, but with the secret weapon - the convection setting.  

Mother of god, were those things good.  That convection setting crisped the hell out of the skin, and with the high temperature and fast bake, they didn't dry out at all.  I'm never deep frying my own wings again - these were every bit as good with the only cleanup being a wire rack and throwing away some aluminum foil.

After our Tuesday wing night venue went downhill due to an ownership and staff change, I haven't had buffalo wings in months.  I was due for a cheat meal, but hate dealing with the extra time, cleanup, and calories of deep frying wings, so I decided to see if I could make a decent baked wing.
You should also seriously consider trying wings in an air fryer. Which I suppose is essentially what you did with the oven convection setting. However, the air fryer gets them done quicker and crispier IMO as compared with baking in our oven (also has convection setting). Air fryer is great for other things that would be normally deep fried. And good for leftovers too in restoring them a bit better than what a microwave can do. :thumbs:

But then I would have to buy and store another useless waste of space kitchen gadget, when I should be throwing ours out as it is!

P.S - I'd rather have an instapot, which I also don't have.

Back