The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it just bent some expanded metal and angle, I can't imagine it being particularly hard to repair.  

Agreed.  Looks like you can “fix” it with a sledge hammer.  Is it just that the back piece is bent at the center?  Wrap a good strap around it and put the other end around a tree.  Put the car in drive and pull it straight. 

Its much thicker metal than it looks, i once put half a pallet of sod on this thing,  my first thought was to cut out the bent portion and then just bolt a replacement section on, but it also has an angle section the holds the angle / wire cloth to the bottom -

I think the strap tree method would do more harm than good - I don't want to totally lose out on this thing, its been everywhere from Key West, Grand Tetons, Moab, etc

What are the dimensions of the beam (height and thickness) and what’s the total length?

if you know someone with a torch they could heat it and bend it back.

bring it to a body shop and see what they say.  Looks like it would be too tough.  Just need a means to brace it put the load on.

Looks like 1/8", 3/16" max.  You probably could bend it back, but wouldn't get it perfect because you won't get the expanded metal flat again, and will probably crack the welds on it.  If you get it repaired, someone is going to just cut out the bent section, mig in some flat plate and replacement angle, and whack out that section of expanded metal before tacking a new one back in.  

FWIW, you can buy a pretty damned heavy duty cargo carrier for about $150, so I wouldn't get too emotionally attached.

I’d pay around $100 to get it fixed- I have never seen one as strong as this one to be honest - I get offers all the time from people who want to buy it-

I'd honestly be surprised if you could find a place willing to fix it that cheap.  Probably want to start looking for someone who does the work on the side, maybe hit up the local night school instructor and see if the weld shop class wants to take a crack at it?

i got a few nibbles on nextdoor ( people doing stuff on the side types)- going to see what they think  it would run - my fall back will just be to cut and replace with some type of bolt connection.

But I have always looked for  replacement options and haven't really found one cause I knew this day would come! But I guess with kids leaving the house I may not need it as much as I have when we had to pack 5 people in a vehicle for a trip and need the overflow space, we usually have this hitch hauler and an XL Thule up top!

next year my kid is taking welding at the tech school his senior year so maybe he can learn enough to do it and then I can rent a welder sometime

Just buy a MIG welder from Harbor Freight.  They're good enough/cheap enough to keep around for small jobs, even if you have to Stevie Wonder some things together.

I don't want to totally lose out on this thing, its been everywhere from Key West, Grand Tetons, Moab, etc
I would hang it on the wall in the shop/garage and grab another one. For the same price to fix it, you get to keep the memories and get a lighter, newer carrier.

looking for some shade tree advice..

I was trying to change the oil & filer on the wifes highlander- it has a canister oil filter that uses a special tool (below) - the tool attaches to a 27 MM socket via 1/2" socket drive, I tried using a breaker bar ( steel pipe) and cant get this thing to budge.. tried "gently" hitting it with a block of wood and rubber mallet, penetrating oil and nothing will make this thing budge..

View attachment 13304

I haven't tried an impact gun yet? Is that my only alternative you think?  Last time I changed the oil I didn't have this special tool so I didn't get the filter, and couldn't get it off this last time, I am wondering just how long this damn thing has been on? My wife used to take it to a small shop that we used to trust until about  a year ago when I just lost faith in them, which makes me wonder if they ever took the thing off either??
Been MIA for a while so just catching up on things around here.  Can someone explain the benefit to this style of canister filter?  My wife has a highlander and changing the oil is a pain.  I haven't had the issue RG had not being able to get the filter off, but it's still a pain because it feels like you have to be super careful with it and it makes a god awful mess (the new filter comes with a "drain plug" that never goes in easily and ends up spilling oil everywhere.  What was wrong with a traditional screw on/off oil filter?  The replacement filters on this canister style are just the filter and a couple of O-rings, but they end up costing just as much as a regular filter.  😡

It's purely based on reducing manufacturing costs and reducing waste (steel filters are hard to recycle).  There is zero benefit to the consumer beyond being able to inspect the filter without cutting it open or having to drain the oil.

the one on my jeep is on the top of the engine and IMO it s awesome, easy to replace, no mess.. the Toyota version just sucks - I will probably just have the wife take it and get the oil changed at the old shop we used, they only charge $45 bucks- but you have to leave it all day..

also thanks for stopping by RW!

I've never run into these canister filters.  Are they only in foreign cars, or do any USA  cars have them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back