The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, as of this morning, I am officially the SCCA Southeast Division champion in the ITS class.  Now to figure out whether I want to take a weekend trip to St. Simon's Island in February to get my jacket and trophy.  Hotel is only $79/night, may be worth the 4 1/2 hour drive.  

Congrats.  I say make the ride.  Is the Catalina ready for the trip?

Well, as of this morning, I am officially the SCCA Southeast Division champion in the ITS class.  Now to figure out whether I want to take a weekend trip to St. Simon's Island in February to get my jacket and trophy.  Hotel is only $79/night, may be worth the 4 1/2 hour drive.  

I liked St. Simons, though it was a little too crowded for my taste.  Jekyll Island is the next barrier island south of it and the entire island is a state park so it's not AS overrun with touristy crap.  Not a bad area to kayak, and there's lots of dolphins around.

Not even close.  Not.  Even.  Close.

MP: Can't imagine it would be as crowded in February?
By crowded I didn't mean just the number of people around, but the entire island is so heavily developed the houses are built nearly on top of each other, and there's pretty much nowhere to park.  Probably fewer tourists in Feb than when I was there (Memorial Day weekend), as you say.

Ah, understood.  I'd imagine we'll probably just park at the hotel and do whatever is in walking distance.  Sea Palms Resort is the banquet hotel.  

So I left the office today to head to a meeting in my alternator light came on, I've been driving about an hour and watching my voltage meter love around 10 ...dumb question, if I leave the car running in the battery runs out of juice will The car eventually cut off? I am in the middle of fucking nowhere in but I was thinking I could just leave the car running during the meeting and then head straight to the auto store about an hour away and grab a new alternator

Pretty sure it's the alternator, last month had the battery checked out of worry about upcoming winter and and it checked out fine, it's about a-year-old, but if I can make it to an auto parts store I'll get them to check both..

Voltage is now around 9---

Windshield wipers and windows wont function...

Anyone near fort morgan, Co?

DEx has a good point, but either way if your battery goes dead, I believe the car will stop and leave you stranded.  Back in the old days you could keep the car going (ie.e motor would keep running) but you'd lose all the electrical functions.  Nowadays I believe if you have no juice the motor stops too.

If the alternator is indeed dead, then it will drain the battery while it's running.....your best shot is to shut it off and hope the BATTERY will start when you're done and allow you to drive far enough to be safe......

Im hoping some of these big oil and gas trucks will be able to jump the battery if it dies... Sure wish this would have happened yesterday when i was sitting around doing nothing!

Im hoping some of these big oil and gas trucks will be able to jump the battery if it dies... Sure wish this would have happened yesterday when i was sitting around doing nothing!
If it dies, a jump start won't work. Remember, the alternator is dead and therefore the engine is not producing the electricity needed to fire the spark plugs.

My in-laws live up by Sterling (about 30 min away), but my FIL is blind and can't drive and MIL is at work until at least 5.

If the alternator is indeed dead, then it will drain the battery while it's running.....your best shot is to shut it off and hope the BATTERY will start when you're done and allow you to drive far enough to be safe......
Not be a Debbie Downer but at 9V it ain't gonna start anything.

Something weird happened, I had to pass a car on the interstate and when I accelerated real hard the voltage meter went back to normal?

The Tahoe started up after the meeting so I'm going to head straight to the auto store and try to get a reading on it

b8993bc8d5c5cae4572d3e37d9d4af80.jpg

Spoke to soon....

Back