The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does swag. You can't go fast without swag.

Bonus - they gave me a heavier discount than they promised when I placed an order today. Schwing!

I just achieved gold status with Enterprise.

I rented a car yesterday and they were out of my car class, so they gave me a 2016 Ford Explorer and absorbed the fuel costs, so I didn't have to pay for gas. Cheese and rice, that car did all kinds of fancy things. It even had cooling seats. It could be mine for just $41,000...or I could rent one again when I need it.

Nothing beats a gentle breeze on your crotch for those long road trips.

Back in the 70's / early 80's GM used to put what er referred to as a "ball cooler" AC vent at the base of the steering column aimed right at the crotch.

Here's one on a 78 cutlass. You can see it immediately below the center of the stering wheel.

ball-cooler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 70's / early 80's GM used to put what er referred to as a "ball cooler" AC vent at the base of the steering column aimed right at the crotch.

Here's one on a 78 cutlass. You can see it immediately below the center of the stering wheel.

attachicon.gif
ball-cooler.jpg

They worked OK, but the ones that now puff directly on the taint through the perforations in the leather are truly technology at its finest.

attachicon.gif
ball-cooler.jpg

They worked OK, but the ones that now puff directly on the taint through the perforations in the leather are truly technology at its finest.
I don't doubt that at all, just saying cooling the crotch has been a design consideration for quite a few years. :)

I called my husband and said, "This car is so fancy!" and he replied, "I know; it stores three seat positions," and I exclaimed, "It's got butt air conditioning!" and he replied, "Can I call you back?" and I said, "Is your boss right there?" and he said, "Yes," so I said, "AIR CONDITIONING! FOR MY BUTT!"

His cell phone volume is jacked way up for when he's on construction sites. That doesn't work in his favor sometimes.

attachicon.gif
ball-cooler.jpg

That looks identical to the dash of my grandpa's Oldsmobile 88 diesel, complete with the ball cooler, except I don't recall an 8-track.

A lot of the reviews I read about them said the engine is underpowered for the car and acceleration was slow and lagging. I knew that would annoy me driving 110 miles on the highway everyday.

Thats what i read also, but i still see a shitload of them passing me on the interstate when i am doing 80 in the hoe

Id get a X1 but i have three colleges to help pay for ;)

Thats what i read also, but i still see a shitload of them passing me on the interstate when i am doing 80 in the hoe

I see a bunch of Prius (Priii?) passing me when I'm doing 80 too. It takes them a while, but they get there at some point.

I bet you could get a screaming deal on an off lease or low mileage X1. If you could find a CPO one, you'd get the HAZwhopper warranty on it, too.

It looks like for close to the cost would get me one with about 35k -40k miles on it and odly even the ones around here are not 4WD?

I am just more of an old jeep person than a BMW person though,,,

My main preference is a tacoma but the Japanese are proud of them...

I ended up with a jeep compass rental this weekend. Kinda excited this was an upgrade from the midsized car I reserved. Imagine my shock when I stepped on the gas from a stoplight on an incline in the drizzly Seattle weather and the front wheels started spinning. Seriously, a fwd suv? I was so embarrassed I parked it and rode the train into town.

If its FWD i dont think it should be able to be classified as a SUV.

I think it should have to be able to tow a 6000 lb boat or equivalent trailer to be called an SUV, otherwise its just a squared off station wagon

Back