The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies all.

You can get some pretty serious late model machinery for 17K that will run rings around that old goat.

And be easier to live with.
Any suggestions or deals you've seen?
C5 'vettes, SN95 blown Cobras, LT4 Impalas (even though FWD...hell of a performance bargain), 2005-2007 Mustang GTs, SVT Lightnings, 2005-2007 Hemi LX bods...

I really used to be into the muscle cars, but that was before the modern stuff started bulking up on HP. Now I just think they are overpriced old cars.

RW:

I get that, but the only real work involved is taking off the tire, un bolting the brake caliper and then "turning" the rotor and putting it back on...

hardest part of that is taking the tire off and on..

Not sure why we all pay these stealerships fatty money to do such a simple job!

Not sure why we all pay these stealerships fatty money to do such a simple job!
Yea, I know what you mean. That's what I always tell myself when I'm starting a job, once I've been working on it for three times longer then it should have taken I swear I'm never working on my own car again...

...a few weeks later I forget all about that and start the whole process over. :screwloose:

Last edited by a moderator:
overpriced old cars? haha your lucky I like healthy conversation!

I agree with the new HP. im still tryin to hang with a ford lightning and a nice 6.0L gto....... which is why my BDS Blower manifold just came in the mail this morning actually. Kind of hard to concentrate with it sitting next to my keyboard. Cmon over to the strip and ill show you how a 72 dart will overcome new HP :)

C5 'vettes, SN95 blown Cobras, LT4 Impalas (even though FWD...hell of a performance bargain), 2005-2007 Mustang GTs, SVT Lightnings, 2005-2007 Hemi LX bods...

I really used to be into the muscle cars, but that was before the modern stuff started bulking up on HP. Now I just think they are overpriced old cars.
No such thing as an LT4 Impala unless you mean the LS4 - 5.3L FWD version. Don't even bother with these dogs. Seriously. It's a waste. For the same money, if not less, you could get a 94-96 with a shot engine and throw in a 6.0L engine from a truck (with all applicable go fast goodies) backed by a T56 manual. For a whole lot less, you could slap on a AI heads / cam combo for about 400 RWHP. The LT1 engines, though 2-bolt mains, are solid.

ricers get 400rwhp nowadays. what ever happened to 6-700 ?

I wanna go fast daddy! If your not winning your losing! haha.

though i did race a bike about a month ago. i barked third and he popped up in a wheelie and spanked me haha and thats about 150rwhp.

No such thing as an LT4 Impala unless you mean the LS4 - 5.3L FWD version. Don't even bother with these dogs. Seriously. It's a waste. For the same money, if not less, you could get a 94-96 with a shot engine and throw in a 6.0L engine from a truck (with all applicable go fast goodies) backed by a T56 manual. For a whole lot less, you could slap on a AI heads / cam combo for about 400 RWHP. The LT1 engines, though 2-bolt mains, are solid.
You're right, LS4.

They're pretty nice rides.

That does remind me, though, add 1993-1997 Z28s to the list. 98-02s have LS engines but are godawful ugly.

that LS2 with a set of LS3 heads and cam....thats a potent setup. throw the 6 speed behind it and lets just say i had a smile most of the ride....

the gm posi sucked though. had it out sideways and it kicked out to a one wheel peel.

$15k would be enough to get my LS3 supercharged, as well as a few other upgrades to get my Camaro to close to 550rwhp...

I would just like to have a car that doesn't have used tires, that I don't have to check the transmission fluid every other day, that the check engine light that isn't on and that isn't filled with ants and wasps right about now... oh what's that you say... yes ants and wasps...

POD storage containers are filling up the driveway, so little ole me parked the jeep on the front pine straw yesterday. Apparently, there was a can of soda in the cup holder and the ants were all over that thing... after spraying it like you wouldn't believe with bug killer, I started to get the air running so I wouldn't have any ants fly in my face once I tried to drive (can you tell this has happened to me before?)... so the jeep is running, I take the bag with the soda can up to the trash can and go back to get in it... there is a funny buzz about... not the normal loud noise the jeep makes (check engine light is on cause of a hole in the exahust system) but a higher pitched noise....

I am amazed at saying I didn't get stung. I was also thankful that when someone turned in a case of perfectly good wasp spray into the hazmat center, I picked some up and had some in each of the room of the house (hey, it is a good self defense and I only have one gun in the house right now).

I did finally get to the home depot to get moving dolly's and the grocery store to get food for my moving helpers after a bit...

sorry, thought you guys would laugh at the story... I know it doesn't have anything to do with the thread really, but it was my car...

Pretty sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on an '11 Explorer w/ 35K mi. on it. Any worries here? Must be this heat...

Knight: just saw this. I love ponchos and have a big fondness for goats. 17k ain't bad, but big money goats are all documented original cars. Otherwise, it's just a really cool old muscle car and value is set accordingly. If you aren't aware Pontiac is one of the few brands that offers a service called Pontiac Historic Services. If you provide a vin and ~$50 phs will send you a copy of the original dealer invoice for the car. You can tell the original color. Interior color, options, etc and get an idea of how much this car has been modified over the years. That said, as a nice driver muscle car 17k seems strong. For an all original restored goat it's low. You need to find where you are in between and how much you really like this car. I suspect people aren't beating down the doors to buy it so you when/if you want to sell it you would be in the same position. Looks cool to me.

Pretty sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on an '11 Explorer w/ 35K mi. on it. Any worries here? Must be this heat...
We just got a '12 Limited in March. Figured I was coming back to the sandbox so better to get it before I left so 1) don't have to worry about our old Explorer taking a dump while I was gone, and B) even getting the Limited with all the options it should be paid for by Feb.

So far, it's been a pretty good car mechanically. The only issue we've had is with the Ford Sync stuff. Nothing too serious but if that one has the Sync in it then I would double check to make sure it has the latest update. I look at it like getting a new computer back when those were fairly new, you're gonna have some bugs that need to get worked out but it's nothing to lose any sleep over and Ford seems to be doing a pretty decent job of rolling out updates to fix stuff.

I can say this much... I had an 02 explorer sport trac for 6 years. A few things went wrong when I hit over 200,000 miles... mostly things with plastic gears like the windows and such. I would recommend them for safety though... I went into a ditch (more like a gullly) at about 55 mph... broke the frame and the front axel snapped and totaled the thing BUT I waked away with only some bruises and burns from the seat belt. I don't know about the newer models, but mine kept me safe in a wreck.

We just got a '12 Limited in March. Figured I was coming back to the sandbox so better to get it before I left so 1) don't have to worry about our old Explorer taking a dump while I was gone, and B) even getting the Limited with all the options it should be paid for by Feb.
This is a loaded XLT, just missing a few top options that the Limited has. Even preowned, w/ a decent trade-in, I'll be taking a wee bit longer on the payoff :p ...

The Ford Sync / My touch was a little weird interface-wise on the test drive, but I think it will be pretty killer once I get familiar with it - my wife seemed to love it anyways.

You're right, LS4.

They're pretty nice rides.

That does remind me, though, add 1993-1997 Z28s to the list. 98-02s have LS engines but are godawful ugly.
Oh, Mercury Marauders are pretty cool, too, if you can find one.

1995 impala SS 260 hp, 330 lb-ft torque

2003 Mercury Marauder 302 hp, 318 lb-ft torque

Sounds like sour grapes on the HP front from the LT1 camp.

;-)

Back