The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, in prepared for just common issues. I actually expected to get bad diesel in Canada and brought a spare fuel filter. I'll be changing out the primary filter on the engine and the secondary on the rear (in bed) auxiliary fuel tank before heading home.  

One thing driving the alcan, especially in the winter, has tought me is to be prepared for the usual breakdowns. With the way the Canooks are wanting us dirty Americans to get thru the country as fast as possible, I'm carrying enough supplies and tools to fix 75% of the potential issues without having to rely on finding parts. 

Things I'm not carrying: U-joints, thermostat or grease gun. 

I've got tire chains, logging chain, two jacks (one a high lift), rope, spare belt, wire, fuses, oil, filters, antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and other miscellaneous parts & pieces (including a soldering iron). 

I knew my oil would need to be changed before driving home, in near 6k since my last change this spring; and normally get 7-8 k between changes. 

Reminds me of my grandfather who kept enough parts in his trunk to rebuild most anything on the road!

ive got to go to Phoenix next week but if you want to to grab a beer let me know- hate to miss an opportunity but I know you have things to deal with while you’re here.

The bed of the truck is nearly full of tools / parts / fuel; it really limits what I can buy and haul home! Tires just take up too much damn space...

I'm up for a meetup, beer or other adult beverage while I'm in the area, I'll send ya a PM.

Things I'm not carrying: U-joints, thermostat or grease gun. 

I've got tire chains, logging chain, two jacks (one a high lift), rope, spare belt, wire, fuses, oil, filters, antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and other miscellaneous parts & pieces (including a soldering iron). 
I try to carry most of this stuff when I go off-roading (aside from the chains and soldering iron). Won't catch me stuck in the middle of the woods broken down and without cell service. 

I think it was just last year that we had to replace a radiator and fix some brake lines while out wheeling. For the radiator we had to send someone out to pick it up. I think we were only down for about an hour.

Not surprisingly, the only vehicles that have broken down have been the Jeeps. My buddy still hasn't put in a new front driveshaft that he broke last trip (jeep).

I was super pissed when I realized the newer JK jeeps didnt come with a "real" front drive shaft - I order the kit after my lift (the people who put on the lift pointed out where the stock one from michigan was cracked pretty bad)

put this on myself a month ago and its still working it seems :D

Jeeps are fun to drive but even a life long jeeper I will admit I replace way more shit on the newer one than I have on the older ones & my other cars (except for the kids Rav4 that thing is a POS) 

Jeep FDS.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll probably need to go with something like that. I'm starting to remember what happened; we lifted his jeep, then a few months later the CV joint failed. After some research this apparently a very common problem with lifting jks because of the angle created at the joint. The boot around the joint failed, then the cv joint started to get water and dirt in it until it failed. They make aftermarket driveshafts with high angle cv joints, but idk if that would be better than the shift you have with u joints on both sides. 

----

Just finished the exhaust phase on the yj. It was a much more involved process than the tj I had, but it all worked out in the end. New exhaust manifold, new down pipe, new muffler, new head gasket, new thermostat and gasket, new throttle body gasket, and new cat gasket. She runs MUCH quieter now! I went with a quiet muffler, because I don't like noisy vehicles. 

Next phase will be new leaf springs all around (stock ride height). That one ought to be fun. I've been hitting the bolts that will need to come off with pb blaster whenever I get home from work everyday. Hopefully they'll come off easily.

The phase after that will be finishing touches like new seat belts, sun visors, new winch plate, synthetic winch cable, led headlights, adding a horn, changing oils all over, fixing the cigar lighter, and new motor mounts.

Driveshaft issues aren’t anything new on Jeep’s. On my TJ, the lift came with brackets to lower the transfer case to keep the angle of the DS workable. Other fix was to do the slip yoke eliminator which called for a longer DS. When you got a longer DS, you got one with better CV joints anyway. 

does the YJ have any oil leaks? That seemed to be my biggest problem- between the rear main seal the oil pan gasket leaks it took me a while to get that stopped.

I put the suspension from a rubicon on the daughters jk - it seems to give about an inch of  extra height.  she has my old 33” tires on it now but it looks like it would run 35’s? (This is the age old question!) - Maybe I can do some trimming and get them on without the actual lift (& avoid the issues above)

been driving around In the snow off and on all day- Tacoma does well but it’s very jerky (like it doesn’t want to let you have any fun) maybe there is a way to turn off the traction control when I’m 4H?

the 2DR Jeep is still the best IMO went to pick up the wife from work, took the long route there- I’ve got around 8-9 inches at our house now and most of the side streets  and non main routes are not plowed at that level So it made for a fun trip...even being an automatic :(

I put the suspension from a rubicon on the daughters jk - it seems to give about an inch of  extra height.  she has my old 33” tires on it now but it looks like it would run 35’s? (This is the age old question!) - Maybe I can do some trimming and get them on without the actual lift (& avoid the issues above)
I ended up dropping the transfer case when I did mine and it was really easy. My lift came with two ~1x1 square steel. Take out the 6 or 8 bolts in the T-case skidplate, drop it down about an inch, put the tubes in and reinstall the bolts. I actually ended up with a spare T-case that I got the slip yoke kit installed, the driveshaft and a bigger rear axle but I got rid of the Jeep before I ever got that stuff installed.

lets just say all the bolts on the daughters jeep are really happy to be "together" - at this point I am tired of climbing underneath it and getting stuff loose - there isnt really rust but those damn bolts just take some elbow grease to 'free"

Oh @csb, what have you done?

Wyoming ranked #1 as having the worst drivers in the country.

https://jalopnik.com/how-bad-are-the-drivers-in-your-state-this-new-study-h-1845472281
Drunkest-driving states

When it comes to the drunkest-driving states, they’re all neighbors. While it may seem like a coincidence that the top four states are all next to each other, CDC data confirms it is not. The CDC’s BRFSSP data on alcohol consumption by state has the highest-consuming states all in the same neighborhood. It’s likely something about the cold northern states where people like to drink and the rural cities don’t have much of a cab service.

1. Wyoming
  2. North Dakota
  3. South Dakota
  4. Nebraska
  5. Alaska

Worst driving habits (most citations)

The common citations we see while analyzing driver history tend to be tickets for things like texting while driving, not wearing a seatbelt, failure to signal and other minor citations. While minor in nature, they are bad driving habits that lead to accidents. States that ranked poorly for citations coincide with those with the worst driving behaviors. We could imagine citations for texting “Roll Tide” while driving landed Alabama on the top of our list.

1. Alabama
  2. Arkansas
  3. Wyoming
  4. Kansas
  5. South Carolina
We usually get dinged based on population density, but these two are pretty high up there with reasons you'll die on the roads- alcohol and no seat belt. These numbers are skewed towards fatalities because we don't have a primary seat belt law- so your seat belt usage only comes up if you're pulled over for something else or you've been in a crash. 

& probably some part has to be lack of enforcement? - when we make the drive from Denver to South Dakota you have a 0-1% chance of seeing a lawdawg on the road.  Even in Colorado its next to nothing - I think when you have close to 0% chance of seeing a cop it makes some people drive really stupid = accidents that waste everyones time.

Even driving in Atlanta shitty traffic due to all the NE'ers moving down like locust, I would rarely make a commute and not see the po po...

& probably some part has to be lack of enforcement? - when we make the drive from Denver to South Dakota you have a 0-1% chance of seeing a lawdawg on the road.  Even in Colorado its next to nothing - I think when you have close to 0% chance of seeing a cop it makes some people drive really stupid = accidents that waste everyones time.

Even driving in Atlanta shitty traffic due to all the NE'ers moving down like locust, I would rarely make a commute and not see the po po...
Damn GA cops camping out on the overpasses...

VA may be the worst though.  I think you can hit a golf ball from anywhere on the highway and have it land on a trooper.  

Ohhh.. that’s why the default company car rental is a Tahoe...... and  not the Camry I downgraded to to save a few bucks...FFC7FB02-3C78-436E-92C4-BA8325A11BAD.jpeg

Just fixed the horn button on my steering wheel and then installed one of those ahooga horns. I love it! (On the yj)

Ohhh.. that’s why the default company car rental is a Tahoe...... and  not the Camry I downgraded to to save a few bucks...
If its got full coverage, I'd be driving that thing through there like a rally car.

If its got full coverage, I'd be driving that thing through there like a rally car.
RG returning the car:

14c007812b_640.jpg

Back