The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. You ever wish you had just kept it?

When my wife and I got married she had a 2006 Unlimited TJ (LJ). She was the only owner. When we traded it in in 2016 for a 4-door suv, it only had 80,000 miles. Had the straight 6. I wish we had kept it, but at the time we were planning on having kids and wanted to get an suv and have it paid off before having kids.

I would have liked to have kept her but it wasn’t practical - up until my kids started leaving for college there was never a lot of room for an extra car- but now;)

those LJ’s will have people fighting over them at around $15k out here - crazy....

got the thermostat done - about an hour - not bad... here’s to hoping that annoying bird drinks some of the fluid that ran down the driveway....

Last edited by a moderator:
Without the boring details, the method that ended up working for me was pulling the head, drilling the stud out, and running a tap back through.
One of the favorite mods on diesels is losing all the emissions crap...or at least that’s what I’ve heard. 😉 It’s mostly just a “feel good” thing to make people think the EPA is actually worth a crap. In reality it doesn’t really do anything because what ever it might save at the exhaust pipe it more than makes up for in other places.

Anyway, removing the EGR is notoriously bad...a lot of broken bolts. Guys will try soaking the bolts in penetrating oil for a week before doing the work and even that doesn’t always work. The method you mentioned is how it usually goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss my TJ. It had a 4.5” lift and 35’s. Kind of the same...it was tons of fun, but not always the most practical. One of the new 4-doors would nice, but they need to bring the straight 6 back.

Looks like a previous owner did an egr system delete. Absolutely nothing is connected to the egr canister, solenoid, or valve. Vacuum tubes are bypassed on the intake.

I'm thinking about putting it all back. It would probably help make the engine run cooler. Maybe that's why there wasn't a thermostat in the housing? Needed all the cooling they could get! Lol

wonder what was the benefit of them doing all that? trying to get a little more power out of the 4 banger?

I drove the daughters jeep today to see how it rides after putting all the new (ish) shocks on it - i bought a used Rubicon suspension and have been slowley putting it on ( the bolts on her jeep (08) do not like to come off - but noticed that the heat runs while the jeep is moving but at an idle it blows cold air? Going to do so internet searching but  I wonder if she also needs a new thermostat also?  If it was the heater core you would think it would never blow hot?

Also I need to bite the bullet and get a full kit of 1/2 in sockets - Ive got a few pieces here and there but they make such a huge difference when dealing with stubborn bolts!

So the internet’s told me that it might be low on radiator coolant and yep- took over a gallon to top it off.. weird it never ran hot (or so the daughter said) 

geesh I feel like I need to drive every vehicle in my families fleet once a week to make sure there aren’t any little lights on.. :(

Can't believe I've only put like 3k miles on my truck this year. Most years I'm hitting at least 10k. Thanks covid! And now that I have a work truck, I will continue not having many miles. 

This toyota is gonna last me a while.

Can't believe I've only put like 3k miles on my truck this year. Most years I'm hitting at least 10k. Thanks covid! And now that I have a work truck, I will continue not having many miles. 

Between my work commute going to 3 miles to the park-and-ride, teleworking since mid-March, and driving the minivan more when the wife is travelling for work, my truck will be lucky to see mileage in the 4 digits this year.

I talked to the insurance folks and they are gonna check but they cant seem to way to find a way to not cover the whole family on any car I have, which makes all my car insurances higher since I have a 21, 19, 17 year olds on the policy - It seems dumb and maybe I finally need to call USAA, but they will offer me a reduced rate if I have a "weekend car" but they say they cant only limit that driver to me? (State Farm)  since the Jeep is paid for and has the mods I want Id like to park it  M-F, and find a commuter vehicle or something -  they do give me a break on the kid up at college but not much-

If I didnt have 3 "high risk" people on the policy it would be next to nothing probably for just the wife and I

Are dealerships on crack right now?  They are seriously asking like $5K over MSRP on Kias and Hyundais.  I'm about to give up and just go get a damned Pilot even though I'd prefer the Telluride/Palisade.  

I Know!!!  I went from ~110 miles a day to about 20 miles a week!  I usually need an oil change every 4 months.  I have an appt Saturday for oil change and recall repair.  It's been since then end of January since my last trip in for an oil change. 

Are dealerships on crack right now?  They are seriously asking like $5K over MSRP on Kias and Hyundais.  I'm about to give up and just go get a damned Pilot even though I'd prefer the Telluride/Palisade.  
lack of supply therefore people pay premiums?

I found that my drive from AK to CO has caused an O-ring in the coolant system to crack and have an intermittent leak. It's on top of the motor, so I'll get it replaced before driving home. Probably do it the same day I change the oil to winter weight, swap the fuel filter out and get the winter tires installed (I brought everything needed but the damn o-ring, but I'm sure I can find one locally). 

Starting to wonder if the BIL's HOA has some rule against wrenching in the driveway or not. If so, I'll have to drive into the back pasture and hide it behind my camper to get the work done. At least his older kids will be able to help out and start to learn some shade tree mechanic tricks.

They haven't been out that long, and yet I seem to see them everywhere. Supply < Demand, as has been pointed out. I only notice them because I think they are a Land Rover or Bentley SUV. 

I have a 3 year old crew cab half ton pickup. I am appalled at what those are selling for. So appalled I will probably list it for sale. The problem comes when I get very few deals trying to get into a new one. 

bly I didnt know Loveland had any HOA's? ;)
The BIL is in the northern outskirts of Ft Collins (towards the Budweiser plant). We're currently in a hotel in Loveland near the fairgrounds until the end of this week. 

The BIL has HOA's in his hood, was only able to keep my camper in his driveway for under 24 hours or he'd get fined. It had to be hidden by trees out of sight from the road and neighbor houses. 

I used to like Loveland until I had to deal with their city staff on that i-25 project that’s under construction up there (I was the design mgr on it) but they are clueless!

so you really prepped for it with all the gear you brought! 

Back