The 2019 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after moving my garden to a place in the yard that actually gets full sun I went to check on them over the weekend and was shocked to see several in progress green, but decent size tomatoes have started to pop out. This is the earliest we have ever had them here. (its also been low 90's for almost 2 weeks which is unusual and may be contributing)

If the rain lets up, I may make a Lowes run this weekend and see what they have leftover in the garden department.  I don't suspect anything will do well because it's so late already, but with so much rain this year, maybe we'll get lucky.  

We haven't had any tomatoes ripen yet, but our plants are growing like crazy and all have sprouted several tomatoes of various sizes. They got their monthly tomato food stuff today, so maybe that'll spark a few to grow big and ripen!

those aren't tomatoes...those are monsters  
monster+tomato.jpg

Our tomatoes are just starting.

Getting lots of cucumbers and zucchini.  Picked about a gallon of green beans yesterday.

Our everbearing strawberries seem to be dying off, which is concerning.  I'm wondering if they're not getting enough water.

nice melon!

Moving my garden has helped but I can tell it is getting strained by too much sun in the Desert Heat - Have the sprinklers set to water it twice a day to keep it from getting fried.

The leaves on the tomato plants are semi dead but it is still banging out the tomatoes. Zucchini is growing crazy.  Jalapenos and Green Peppers are not fairing well this year - must have got bad plants..

nice melon!

Moving my garden has helped but I can tell it is getting strained by too much sun in the Desert Heat - Have the sprinklers set to water it twice a day to keep it from getting fried.

The leaves on the tomato plants are semi dead but it is still banging out the tomatoes. Zucchini is growing crazy.  Jalapenos and Green Peppers are not fairing well this year - must have got bad plants..
I am getting tired of harvesting peppers! Banana, bells, and jalapenos have been a **** bumper crop and are still going strong. 

Will be starting Fall garden seeds this week. 

Normally I have so many jalapeno's that I can dice them all up and freeze a few bags and use them all Fall and Winter for soups, hashbrowns and such but not this year (unless I get a late push)

But this is the first time I have had maters in mid July.

No Fall garden here, bring on the MF'ing snow!

We have MANY green tomatoes... I'm starting to think they might never ripen. We haven't gotten a good string of sunny, warm days, like we did in June to get them growing, in a long time.

someone on here recommended that we NOT plant more than 1 zucchini plant, I did two in case one died, but now I am seeing the error of my ways, no way I will be able to eat this much zucchini..

zuchini.jpg

someone on here recommended that we NOT plant more than 1 zucchini plant, I did two in case one died, but now I am seeing the error of my ways, no way I will be able to eat this much zucchini..

View attachment 18167

Ha ha, we have like six zucchini plants!  Usually I take all the extra to work, but won't have the option this year.

My wife also went overboard with the cucumber plants.  Three or four is plenty and we've got at least 15.  Need to start making pickles I guess.

we let the neighbors to do all the work and reap the benefits.  We get fresh eggs and half dozen cucumbers about once a week.

Indulge me in a few photos since we've been spending a lot of time on this:

a.jpg

Tomatoes

1.jpg

Green beans

2.jpg

Cucumbers

3.jpg

Zucchini & Squash

4.jpg

Lettuce, chard and a volunteer tomato

5.jpg

Kale and sweet potatoes (and the rhubarb in the back)

6.jpg

A giant horseradish

7.jpg

Peppers

8.jpg

Peas, collards and eggplant

9.jpg

Pole beans and sunflowers

b.jpg

Black eyed peas

10.jpg

Yesterday's harvest (berries are in a separate garden)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back